21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
75 Posts
I made two long road trips in my ‘08 Bullitt with the goop and compressor after I bought it. Both were in the first year of ownership. I bought a complete Ford spare tire kit for a ‘11-‘14 Mustang GT and replaced the goop and compressor in 2015. It cost me $365.00 total (shipping included) for piece of mind that I didn’t have after the Roadside Assistance expired. I have AAA Roadside Assistance too, but the security of having an actual spare and jack is worth every penny that I spent in buying the kit. $500 isn’t that much compared to the aggravation and inconvenience that you could endure with only the compressor and goop.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would just buy a spare full size rim and keep it in the trunk along with a jack and a 3/4 inch long torque wrench and impact socket for the right size lug nuts. Problem solved.

·
Administrator
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I would just buy a spare full size rim and keep it in the trunk along with a jack and a 3/4 inch long torque wrench and impact socket for the right size lug nuts. Problem solved.

That would take up most of your trunk space, even if it fits. Plus, the wheels are staggered, and since the rear differential is a Torsen design, you need to be careful about the wheel sizing and rotation speeds being managed accordingly.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
NOTE to 08/09 owners who are posting on this thread (and future warning to 19/20 owners). The factory "fix-a-flat" goo has an expiration data. The 08/09 has long expired so if you are still depending on that, you may be in for a surprise. For the 08/09, just get a factory setup from a junk yard (pick-a-part) but realize that the mini spare always has to be used on the front which my involve changing two tires. But at least you will be back on the road (at a reduced speed). Anything is better than nothing (which is what we have today).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good day & all good comments. I too am at the age of not wanting to change a tire, even if I can. I bought my wife a Acura RDX in March and when I got it home I found the inflatable machine and immediately called the dealer who had me order a spare tire, tire iron and scissor jack, $450! But the piece of mind is well worth it.
So when I ordered my Bullitt I told the dealer that a spare has to be in the trunk with the iron and jack. But now that I'm reading all the posts I'm concerned that the spare has to be the right size for the car. Ug! I'm going to try & contact Chief engineer Carl Widmann & get his thoughts. I like the idea of club discounts for bulk purchases, great idea. Will post when I get more info.
thanks, frank

·
Administrator
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Good day & all good comments. I too am at the age of not wanting to change a tire, even if I can. I bought my wife a Acura RDX in March and when I got it home I found the inflatable machine and immediately called the dealer who had me order a spare tire, tire iron and scissor jack, $450! But the piece of mind is well worth it.
So when I ordered my Bullitt I told the dealer that a spare has to be in the trunk with the iron and jack. But now that I'm reading all the posts I'm concerned that the spare has to be the right size for the car. Ug! I'm going to try & contact Chief engineer Carl Widmann & get his thoughts. I like the idea of club discounts for bulk purchases, great idea. Will post when I get more info.
thanks, frank

Hi, Frank - this has been a known situation since the current generation of Mustang has been released back in 2014. The kit that is referenced is particularly helpful to make sure the rotation of the rear tires is not mismatched when one of them has a spare. This is important because the Bullitt has a rear Torsen differential, which has no clutch packs in fluid as part of its construction. The mismatch in rotational speeds could cause a heat build-up that could damage the differential. I've seen where some suggest putting on the front tire on the rear and move the spare to the front, but we have staggered wheel and tire sizes.

In my searches for a solution, this is by far the best I've seen. Shelby GT350 and other Mustang GT owners with the current Brembos sizes use this kit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Tony. Do I have these dimensions correct? And if so what size should the spare be? tx frank
Tires
Front Tire Size
P255/40WR19
Rear Tire Size
P275/40WR19
Wheels
Front Wheel Material Aluminum
Rear Wheel Size (in)
19 X 9.5
Rear Wheel Material
Aluminum
Front Wheel Size (in)
19 X 9

Just found this on the Ford site:
Spare Tire Kit - Mini, For V6, I4 and GT
Part No: FR3Z-1K007-C
SRP: $255.00 Suggested Retail Price:View Details
Get local pricing
Fortify your Mustang V6, I4 and GT coupe or convertible with this kit that's sized just right for stay-put storage in the covered trunk well.

18 x 5.0 aluminum wheel – includes tire and valve stem.
Scissor jack.
Wrench attached to jack during storage.
Retainer bracket with bolt and washer.
Easy to install; no drilling required.

·
Administrator
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi Tony. Do I have these dimensions correct? And if so what size should the spare be? tx frank
Tires
Front Tire Size
P255/40WR19
Rear Tire Size
P275/40WR19
Wheels
Front Wheel Material Aluminum
Rear Wheel Size (in)
19 X 9.5
Rear Wheel Material
Aluminum
Front Wheel Size (in)
19 X 9

Those are correct.

Just found this on the Ford site:
Spare Tire Kit - Mini, For V6, I4 and GT
Part No: FR3Z-1K007-C
SRP: $255.00 Suggested Retail Price:View Details
Get local pricing
Fortify your Mustang V6, I4 and GT coupe or convertible with this kit that's sized just right for stay-put storage in the covered trunk well.

18 x 5.0 aluminum wheel – includes tire and valve stem.
Scissor jack.
Wrench attached to jack during storage.
Retainer bracket with bolt and washer.
Easy to install; no drilling required.

That is definitely what you do NOT want to attempt to use on the Bullitt. First of all, it will make contact with the brakes in front and secondly, even if it did, the diameter of the wheel is 18" plus the tire would be introducing the size mismatch I talked about above, which would cause the heat build-up.

Take a look at the kit that is listed here - https://www.automotiveauthorityllc....-2015-2017-ford-mustang-gt-with-brembo-brakes

The wheel diameter is 19", it fits flush under the trunk floor board, the tire and wheel together are the correct rolling diameter. The 18" Ford spare option you listed will not work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those are correct.

That is definitely what you do NOT want to attempt to use on the Bullitt. First of all, it will make contact with the brakes in front and secondly, even if it did, the diameter of the wheel is 18" plus the tire would be introducing the size mismatch I talked about above, which would cause the heat build-up.

Take a look at the kit that is listed here - https://www.automotiveauthorityllc....-2015-2017-ford-mustang-gt-with-brembo-brakes

The wheel diameter is 19", it fits flush under the trunk floor board, the tire and wheel together are the correct rolling diameter. The 18" Ford spare option you listed will not work.
I just purchased this kit for my Bullitt. Although it is a little pricey, it has everything you need, works perfectly for the car, and installs in literally minutes, fits flush as well. I definitely recommend!

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all. As I posted somewhere else the tech mgr @ my dealer recommended the Ford GT spare tire kit, comes with jack & tire iron & fits in the hole. $250
Will pick it up tomorrow & post results.
Frank

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Hi all. As I posted somewhere else the tech mgr @ my dealer recommended the Ford GT spare tire kit, comes with jack & tire iron & fits in the hole. $250
Frank
Please let us know the results. Does it or does it NOT clear the Brembo brakes?

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Frank
Curious what this spare wheel/tire measures? I think the 275/40/19 rears are 27.7” tall

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know that when a bunch of us drove to the All Mustang American Muscle show (2 years in a row), we made sure to bring tire repair kits, jacks, tools, and a speare tire of a couple of sizes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi There,
Did you figure out the way to go about the spare tire? the sparekit i foud is ~$410 + tax :-(
I have a 2019 Bullitt and need to find a solution to the spare tire to have peace of mind while driving from Plano TX to Lubbock to visit my daughter attending college in Lubbock.

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Proper Spare for 2019 Bullitt

https://modernspare.com/search-page/?make=13&model=32&syear=332&cfm=Ford&cfmo=Mustang&cfy=2019
I've talked to these people about what they show on their website and what is needed for my 2019 Bullitt. And, they assure me that even though it's an eighteen inch rim, the tire size brings it to the proper circumference. Also, they provide a spacer to clear the front Brembo 6-piston brake caliper. These tire are inflated to about 65 psi or more (I can't recall) and can be driven 80 mph. I bought one for my 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, so, that's my previous experience.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts