Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Car Whisperer
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the stock front brakes have a depth sensor on them that gives off noise and if so, what does it sound like? Thanx for any help.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Its not so much a depth sensor as its metal tabs that are on the pads themselves...they are very thin metal and kind of springy in nature...when the pads get worn down far enough, these metal tabs will rub on the rotors making a metal on metal squealing noise. Its a warning system that your pads need to be replaced and if not, the next thing you will hear is the metal rivets holding the pads on scraping against the rotor itself. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I had asked this question before and I thought the agreement was that they didn't have the low brake pad tabs. I've yet to replace them so I'm not sure at all.

·
Car Whisperer
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm getting a high pitched noise at about 55-65MPH and then it goes away. It's coming from the front and I mainly hear it on the interstate. It is a recent development so I was thinking brakes.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
does the noise go away whem you step on the brakes? if so it may be the tabs..

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
BaknBlk said:
Its not so much a depth sensor as its metal tabs that are on the pads themselves...they are very thin metal and kind of springy in nature...when the pads get worn down far enough, these metal tabs will rub on the rotors making a metal on metal squealing noise. Its a warning system that your pads need to be replaced and if not, the next thing you will hear is the metal rivets holding the pads on scraping against the rotor itself. Hope this helps.

I agree...time to check those brake pads.

·
Car Whisperer
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought about that, but it happens really only at a certain speed range. That's why I'm not really sure.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Jack the front up untill the tires are off the ground, grab each tire with both hands 180 apart, and shake the tire back and forth checking for any movement. It there is none the wheel bearings should be ok.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Wheel bearings usually make a grinding noise when they are going bad. This is usually a result of the grease being over heated or being slung out of the bearing overtime.

Usually the wear indicator tabs on the breaks sound worse when you push the break pedal in, as this pushes the tabs against the rotors, making the squealing sound.

I don't think you have a problem with either of these things. Still, it couldn't hurt to check the brakes and bearings.

Is the squeal under heavy throttle, or just cruising, or both? What's the rpm when the squeel happens? If you have a mechanic friend, might help to have him ride along. Its hard to diagnose over the internet.

Could be a worn belt, or weak tensioner. I know when watching my car on the dyno, as the rpm builds, the tensioner moves more and more to keep the belt tight. A weak tensioner or worn belt pulling 55-65 in second or third (depending on gears) could cause your squeak.

·
Car Whisperer
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx for the info. The only time I notiice it is on the interstate below 70 and above like 55. The rpm's are in the 2G range. I even considered it being the front tires for some reason. I have listened to see if it resonates off of passing vehicles and can't seem to hear it anymore or less that way either. I have not tried putting on the brakes to see if that diminished the sound any, although it is such as relatively small range of rpm, I am not sure that by the time I press the brakes and listen that I would dip below the necessary range to hear it. The first time I heard it, I was afraid it was rear end whine, but it is not coming from the back, but kinda sounds like that. Tensioner is a possibilty or even the belt, although I only have about 39K on the car, I wouldn't think either of those would be going out. The car is garaged and rarely sees rain or any other elements.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Have someone rev the car to the correct rpm's while you have the hood open and listen for the noise.

·
Registered
591 Posts
rblack4405 said:
Have someone rev the car to the correct rpm's while you have the hood open and listen for the noise.
That's a good idea. That could eliminate engine related issues, and put onto suspension/brakes as the likely source of the noise.

And I'd have to agree, that's pretty low miles for a tensioner or belt.

If you think its a tire problem, you could rotate the wheels front to back and see ifthe noise moves to the back, or changes in any way.

·
Car Whisperer
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wish I could but I have 315's on the back so can't and the tires are directional on the front. Thanx for the thought though.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
The serpentine belt could also be slipping. If it is the original I am sure it is getting hard. Look for black dust on the front of engine around the pullys.

·
Car Whisperer
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, took it out yesterday and driving in either 3rd or 4th in the rpm range commenserate with 55-65mph. no noise, so it is not an "rpm" issue, but a speed issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts