Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I need some input. I have a noise that I cant figure out. Its like a bumping sound
but its not a metalic sound.Its coming from underneath the engine area and its not the exhaust or anything that I can see plus it resonates in the cockpit area as well . I spent almost 2 hrs looking for it (ok mostly admiring that fine duel exhaust) but hey i am trying. Any way the nearest I can tell it is in the rack and pinion I noticed there to be a bit of noise when I would grasp the steering shaft and rotate it left or right coming from within the unit. Like to much clearance between the teeth in the unit. When under pressure there wasnt the noise but there was a bit of play coming from where the shaft comes out of the unit and connects to the steering yoke. The shaft moves up and down when u move it by hand. If any one could check theres out and let me know if u get movement in the shaft it would be great! It was just a little at first but has been getting more pronounced lately. It happens mostly at low speeds over bumps and when u are just stopping and the car is settling backwards. Thanx Havgun!

I hope this is enuff info! Kinda hard to explain except its driving me crazy :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Havgunwiltrav on 2001-06-29 12:02 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Havgunwiltrav on 2001-06-29 12:03 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
First thing since you are looking at the steering, make sure that when you turn the steering wheel the slightest bit that the wheels turn with it. If not then that is a problem. I don't think there should be ANY play at all.

Let me guess this noise happens when the transmission is not under a load or the clutch is not fully engaged, going slow and you hit a bump in the road. Maybe when turning inbetween shifts.

Does it sound like maybe an old tired auto trans car shifting into drive with your foot on the brake and you can hear the drive shaft slap as it takes up the slack? Almost a klunk sound but a little tinnier?

Just a guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts