Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just stopped by and told me his 98 Crown Vic with 45,950 miles on it isn't showing any oil pressure. It has the 4.6 2v, isn't smoking, or making any engine noise. I drove it last night to Cincinnati and back and it ran fine. Any ideas on what it could be? We're leaving for Illinois on Friday and was supposed to take the car. If we can't we have to go in mom's 97 Buick Skylark. 4 adults and luggage...DON'T THINK SO!!! Thanks guys!
Cam

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-14 17:16, chilli bullitt wrote:
My dad just stopped by and told me his 98 Crown Vic with 45,950 miles on it isn't showing any oil pressure. It has the 4.6 2v, isn't smoking, or making any engine noise. I drove it last night to Cincinnati and back and it ran fine. Any ideas on what it could be? We're leaving for Illinois on Friday and was supposed to take the car. If we can't we have to go in mom's 97 Buick Skylark. 4 adults and luggage...DON'T THINK SO!!! Thanks guys!
Cam

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I assume by "not showing oil pressure" he means the gauge is showing 0 or is it the oil idiot light?

The sender for the gauge would be the first thing I would check, or rather the first thing I would have my dad check. I'm all thumbs when it comes to wrenching. :smile:

The Oil gauge on my Imp SS is notoriously inaccurate. Might as well be a clock there. :smile:

Mike

1,169 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-14 17:16, chilli bullitt wrote:
Cam

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if you read my sig.I say take the buick!!

I would take the car in to have it checked by a compedent mechanic. It sounds like the car is running fine but i would not take a chance.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Have it towed!!!!!! To the shop
A new engine isn't cheap, trust me my 84 F150 has a new 351 because it ran just fine without oil press until it suddenly started knocking after 2 weeks of driving, some times having oil pressure and sometimes not, ended up being the pressure relief valve in oil pump. My thinking must be a electical problem because you could shut the engine off and start it back up and it would be fine. Well I was wrong!!!!!!!! A new Long block and 1 weekend of my time in the drive way learned me good......

·
Registered
85 Posts
While I agree it is likely nothing more than a loose wire or the sending unit, I'm also going to have to say to take it in, preferably without driving it.

Good luck!! Bet your dad is wishing he invested in some Prolong now! Didn't y'all see the ads on TV...cars can run without oil pressure if they have prolong! TV never lies! J/k. I could never figure out why they didn't have a lifter tap in those engines...after all how is a hydraulic lifter supposed to work without a fluid?

Seriously though, take it in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts