Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The temperature drop last night to below 10C and I took the car out this morning and while the engine and tranny were still cold I couldn't get into third gear without that ugly sound of the gears grinding together. I had the syncros replaced ealier in the year. So It looks like I have to head back to the dealer again for another week of down time.:mad:

·
Registered
158 Posts
unfortunately- yes... my B is currently in the shop getting the tranny rebuilt for the same reason. I handed them the below TSB- and once they recreated the issue by trying to drive it while the engine was cold they agreed to follow it. I hate losing my car for a week, but hopefully mine turns into a one time fix

TSB
080906A

4.6L WITH TR3650 MANUAL TRANSMISSION - CLASH OR RASPY FEEL - SHIFTING INTO 2ND AND/OR 3RD GEAR

Publication Date: April 24, 2008

FORD:
2007-2008 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2007-2008 Mustang vehicles equipped with the 4.6L engine and TR3650 5 speed manual transmission may exhibit a clash noise and / or raspy (rough) feel on gear engagements during 1-2 or 2-3 upshifts. This condition may be more pronounced when the transmission is colder than 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE:
Remove the transmission following Workshop Manual (WSW), Section 308-03B.

Replace with new the 1-2 synchronizer and 3-4 synchronizer assemblies, following WSM, Section 308-03B.

Install the transmission following WSW, Section 308-03B.

PART NUMBER: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

3R3Z-7124-BA

PART NAME:
1-2 Synchronizer
1R3Z-7124-DA
3-4 Synchronizer

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION:<o:p></o:p>

080906A

DESCRIPTION
2007-2008 Mustang 4.6L Engine TR3650 Transmission: Replace The 1-2 And 3-4 Synchronizers, Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission (Do Not Use With 7003A, 7003A2, 7003AZJ, 4602A, 5212B, 7564B)

TIME
6.6 Hrs.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If they have already performed the TSB repair then I would think the answer to the question is faulty.They cannot polish a turd.The Tremec 3650 is a turd.You will find the same thing with the rear diff issues.They replace the diff with the same type and its inherent design flaws and it still makes noise etc.
Try and get used to it.If i remeber correctly the gear clash will subside quickly as the car warms up.After just a few shifts it semed to go away.I learned to drive it accordingly when it was cold outside and had no more issues.
it sucks and my response sounds sarcastic but i am matter of factly stating that they may someday have a REAL fix but as of yet they do not:smile:

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
A guy at work has a 2006 Cadillac CTS-V which has a 6-speed Tremec, and he has had similar problems with gear lockouts and notchiness. Mexicans apparently make good food, but not transmissions.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The t56 six speed is a good trans. It is alittle notchy but I think it shifts way better then the 3650, at least my 3650. I thought they had the 3650 worked out, but it sounds like the same problems from the past.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I cannot believe Ford did not catch this considering we had this problem with the 01 Bullitt.Don't they do temperature testing?I guess I am shocked considering there was a tsb on the Tremec then.

I opted not to have it repair on the 01 so I guess I will wait it out with the 08.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.