Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking thru the Archive section I went to the UV damaged third tail light section. I think I want to try this method.....yup 5 ys of sun, (do you think it's worth it?).

My question is where do you buy the Novus Scratch Remover Polish noted in this section?

Anybody have an idea of the repalcement cost of the 3rd taillight?

Ichibanbullitt

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
I was going to use the Novus stuff for the same reason as the archieve (3rd brake light), but couldn't find it locally or some place to get it to me in three days. I only had one day of a weekend to do it. So....I just used the sandpaper and some 3M plastic polish that I could get locally and it came out just fine.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Markus....

What # sandpaper did you use and is that the name of the 3M product?
Did you use a couple of different # grit sandpapers?

Ichi

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
Pretty sure it's just 3M plastic polish. Label on there is "3M".

I started out with 400, then went to 600, then 1000. All wet-sanding, then the polish and LOTS of buffing.

I didn't do before and after pics (I know, I am surprised too!), and it doesn't look "new" but MUCH better than what it was...

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I just did one for Kujo362 (Kerry). It wasn't off of his car, but a friend's car. It was in really bad shape. Normally the damage is just on top, but on this one it was on both sides. Sanding it will take the factory numbers off of it, so you have to decide how important that is. I had to sand it with 220 grit wet/dry and finish with 800 wet/dry, using a rubber block. Doing it wet, of course. Using a 1000 to 1200 grit would probably help eliminate some buffing time, but I didn't have any. I then used Eagle One Jewelers rouge (yeah, the stuff for metal) followed by 3M rubbing compound and then wax. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour sanding it (I made a jig for it) then about an hour in front of the television (this is important :lol:) buffing it. You have to sand it enough to get off the coating it comes with from the factory, or it won't shine back up. Using the block also gets the waves out of it. I don't know what the life expectancy will be but If anybody has used this technique, let me know.

Check it out:

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
BigBullitt said:
I just did one for Kujo362 (Kerry). It wasn't off of his car, but a friend's car. It was in really bad shape. Normally the damage is just on top, but on this one it was on both sides. Sanding it will take the factory numbers off of it, so you have to decide how important that is. I had to sand it with 220 grit wet/dry and finish with 800 wet/dry, using a rubber block. Doing it wet, of course. Using a 1000 to 1200 grit would probably help eliminate some buffing time, but I didn't have any. I then used Eagle One Jewelers rouge (yeah, the stuff for metal) followed by 3M rubbing compound and then wax. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour sanding it (I made a jig for it) then about an hour in front of the television (this is important :lol:) buffing it. You have to sand it enough to get off the coating it comes with from the factory, or it won't shine back up. Using the block also gets the waves out of it. I don't know what the life expectancy will be but If anybody has used this technique, let me know.

Check it out:

Life expectancy is really good.
I did mine at least 2 years ago and it looks as good as factory if not better.
Bob

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Hmmm, got me thinking. Is it the factory coating that is the real culprit here? Is England further from the sun than we are? :wink: Keep us posted on it Bob. I think just using a polish on it occasionally may be enough after that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts