Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine sounds like it's right in front of the firewall beneath the passenger side windshield wiper. I almost started banging my dash to try and restabilize it.

Then I wondered if it might be in the air intake on the top right side of the engine.

I went fishing around and have found plenty of possible components in the engine bay that could be vibrating. They include tacked on relays and hoses crossing one and other, and even the spring on the throttle body. I'm rapping on everything in sight trying to recreate that vibrating sound.

The fact that it goes away when warm makes me wonder what's loose when cold and tightens up when warm. Like where incompatible metals or clamps are tied together.

(Please don't say cam shafts, piston pins, or main bearings!)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I HEAR YA! I've got that too when cold in the morning, ok not cold in San Diego, but 1st 15 minutes of operation. somethings rattling big time, comes and goes. ??

·
Registered
394 Posts
In my case it is difficult to pinpoint where it is comng from except to say under the hood. I have tried to get the car to produce the noise by revving it while in the driveway, but it doesn't make the noise unless there is a slight load on the engine. It only makes the noise when driving it. The noise definitely occurs in the 3200-3400 rpm range. It seems that this is the resonant requency for whatever it is. I was waiting until I got my X-pipe installed to makes sure it wasn't the catalytic converters making the noise. (I had a similar problem on another vehicle) I can get the car to do it pretty regularly now and so I willl be making an appointment with the dealer soon. The noise I am hearing sounds like it is coming from inside the engine block. It is LOUD, and it sounds like the pistons are slapping around. This is definately not pinging. It does it under part throtle and light loads. It does it on mid grade and 91 octane. I am highly suspicious that is has something to do with the combination of aluminum heads and an iron block. The metals heat and expand at a different rate. I think that it is possible that tolerances are such that until warm things may not be as snug as they should be.
I wonder if the standard GT's have this problem or if it something Bullitt specific?

Eric

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT00208 on 2001-09-29 01:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think that I have heard the noise that all of you are talking about.I would describe it as a dull knock,much like a loose bottom end.I have purchased two new f150 trucks with the 5.4 v-8 and driven countless others;and like my Bullitt when could they all had the same noise.So with every modular motor that I have owned or driven having that noise,I think that it is normal.Dont wory too mush about the durability of these engines,as a former police officer I can attest to their durability,as I have seem them abused for over 150,000 miles and they seem to be quieter!Thanx

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I wish someone knew what was causing this noise.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt4995 on 2003-12-05 07:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok, I've heard about 10 similar descriptions of the same problem. And the next problem is that no one has taken their car in to get this checked out. I'm taking mine back in 1000 miles for service and to check out a small punch list of items. I'll add this noise to the top of my list and if I hear something, I'll post it. Of course, "ohhhh...that's normal" is the answer I expect to hear. Anyway, if anyone cares to hear my description, it sounds like the noise my push mower makes when the wingnut on the handle vibrates loose. That bold just rattles around like crazy. That's the noise I hear. With the bullitt, I THINK I can even feel it when the car makes the noise. Expect a post within a month....maybe less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts