Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual says to use 87.
If I use higher will it harm the engine and/
or provide no additional performance?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Collin

If your car is stock then 87 octane should be fine. If you hear pinging go up to the next grade. Premium fuel burns slower so it will actually hurt performance if you do not have a supercharger or a chip that makes use of the higher octane. Plus it is a waste of money.

Gas companies have been claiming for years that higher octane fuels burn cleaner but the exact opposite is true. Lower octane fuel burns cleaner and all grades of gas have the same amount of detergents to keep your engine clean. Recently the government declared that gas companies can no longer claim that one grade of fuel is cleaner than another because it is a boldface lie. Use what the manufacturer requires for best performance.

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DHG #1302, so you have an aftermarket chip
that is designed to use high octane?

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bullitt 2075, thanks for the input. My Bullitt is stock so I will use the 87 octane.

·
Registered
835 Posts
You shouldn't have any pinging. You number is high enough that you have the KSG 02 version of the computer program which was supposedly the reason Ford changed from KSG 01 to 02 around No. 2500.

Stick with 87 unless you get a chip. The current programs run rich anyway, and higher octane ratings only make that worse.

·
Registered
714 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-06 13:32, Collin Wayne wrote:

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
The main thing a chip does to improve performance is bump the timing up. When you do this you have to increase the octane to eliminate detonation (pinging). I currently have to run 95 octane in mine with the supercharger until Vortech can get acceptable degree of timing programed in that will allow me to use the crappy 91 octane we Californians are stuck with.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-06 13:32, Collin Wayne wrote:

That is correct.

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the inputs. Being laid off ain't
so bad afterall, I got plenty-O-time to be
learn'in about this stuff. Thanks again.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
There is a good story on this subject,in the Dec.2001 issue of HOT ROD mag. They test different levels of octane vs. compression ratios. In some cases it is the additive package,not the octane rating that can be important.

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot, I'll go check it out at the
library, they carry Hot Rod.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
hey collin... can u take a pic of your recreated scene?? thats pretty creative.. i would like to see it!

:smile:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
TXBullitt, you mentioned that the line changed the chips from 01 to 02 at about 2500. My car is 1409, but I don't have any pinging. If for some reason that it does start pinging, would I be able to go over to the dealer and request an 02??

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have the 02 flash, and I get ping at WOT on 87, so I use 89. I keep decidi g to try 87 again, so I get a tank, it pings, and I go back to 89.

Joe

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
On 2001-12-07 07:52, DHG-1934 wrote:
I have the 02 flash, and I get ping at WOT on 87, so I use 89. I keep decidi g to try 87 again, so I get a tank, it pings, and I go back to 89.

Joe

Had the same thing Joe with 1302.....had the reflash and was still pining with 87. Since I was running prem I went ahead and took full advantage of it and installed a SuperChip. No complaints.

Jim

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I switched to 93 octane thinking it would be better, but noticed when I got on my car, I got a real bad sulfur odor emitting from the exhaust. So I tried a different brand of fuel, but still got the same odor. Changed to 89 octane and that corrected the odor problem. Since the high octane fuel doesn’t burn as fast, it was causing the problem. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've used 87 since I purchased #451. Never had any pinging. And I haven't had my computer re-programmed either.

Paul

·
Registered
172 Posts
Some wont agree,but I would base what octane of fuel to use in YOUR car based on what fuel it requires for best performance.My car seems to run better on premium fuel than regular unleaded,and it is KSG2.All things are not equal,yours may be different!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm with you mustang 1 My car responds better with 93 Octane. If it's all in my head so be it. All it hurts is a few cents out of my pocket

1 - 20 of 26 Posts