Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Pittsburgh I can use 87, 91, or 93 octane. Other than an occasional fill up with 93, I normally fill it up with 87(and it runs just fine). Now that I have the Battery Tender ready to connect, the fuel stabilizer ready to add, and am preparing to fill the tank for winter storage, I am not sure if I should fill it up with the 87or with the 93 octane. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
do a search on octane and what it is for and what it does

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Octane is an anti-knock compound only. Left untreated, it will go bad like any other gas. Just use the correct amount of Stabil and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
barry bullitt said:
Octane is an anti-knock compound only. Left untreated, it will go bad like any other gas. Just use the correct amount of Stabil and you'll be fine.
So the correct amount of stabilizer will maintain the same octane level (whether 87, 90, or 93 in my case here in PA) when I am ready to run the car in a few months? Would it make sense to add additional stabilizer to the gas after it is stored awhile? And would it make sense to add octane booster to the gas when I am ready to run the car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
do a search on octane booster, it adds very, very little to the octane rating by adding one bottle

·
Registered
930 Posts
Why not simply put it away with a nearly empty tank and fill it with fresh fuel when you take it out of hibernation next Spring? Or is that too easy?
Siphon out what you don't need and put it in whatever you'll be driving through the winter...Leave enough in the tank to stop it from drying out (though I can't see how that would happen with the filler cap shut...).

Fill it with a couple of gallons from a Jerrycan when you need to drive it again.

Saves all the farting around with additives.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
Arkady001 said:
Why not simply put it away with a nearly empty tank and fill it with fresh fuel when you take it out of hibernation next Spring? Or is that too easy?
Siphon out what you don't need and put it in whatever you'll be driving through the winter...Leave enough in the tank to stop it from drying out (though I can't see how that would happen with the filler cap shut...).

Fill it with a couple of gallons from a Jerrycan when you need to drive it again.

yep leave a gallon or two og any octane gas in the tank and throw in a can of seafoam if you are worried about water/ moisture

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Arkady001 said:

Condensation will start in the gas tank so the tank should be filled as much as possible. Then stabil needs to be added to keep the gas from breaking down. I will not be driving it until spring. So I will be disconnecting the battery, removing the battery if I can, and keeping a battery tender jr connected to it during hibernation. And I will be keeping a piece of carpet under each wheel and a large piece under the car itself. I will keep the car in gear but with the emergency brake off and will not be starting the car until spring.

February 2nd I will make my trek to Gobbler's Knob and hope that Punxsutawney Phil does not see his shadow.:doubt:

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
Dodging Bullitt said:
Condensation will start in the gas tank so the tank should be filled as much as possible. Then stabil needs to be added to keep the gas from breaking down. I will not be driving it until spring. So I will be disconnecting the battery, removing the battery if I can, and keeping a battery tender jr connected to it during hibernation. And I will be keeping a piece of carpet under each wheel and a large piece under the car itself. I will keep the car in gear but with the emergency brake off and will not be starting the car until spring.

February 2nd I will make my trek to Gobbler's Knob and hope that Punxsutawney Phil does not see his shadow.:doubt:

shoot the damn thing if he does....... winter isn't even here and allready i am sick of it

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
texasbullitt said:
shoot the damn thing if he does....... winter isn't even here and allready i am sick of it

I will have to get in line with the 100,000 others there who want to shoot the rodent too!

Are the winters that BAD in Texas?:shock: I don't remember any scenes of JR shovelling snow.:lol:

·
Registered
930 Posts
'Dallas' is making a comeback...did you hear?

and although it seems a bit 'industrial' this product seems to be the best for long-term storage of fuels... I have to admit I did some reading on the subject last night and was surprised at how poorly modern fuels react when stored...

http://www.priproducts.com/default.htm

Sta-Bil looks to be the best for adding to the tank...but you already knew that...

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
texasbullitt said:

Dang...mark...you sound just like Mary ann :lol:

.............................:b01:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
texasbullitt said:
+2 for not looking forward to winter.

Shooting the dormant rodent won't do anything for the cold days.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
Dodging Bullitt said:
I will have to get in line with the 100,000 others there who want to shoot the rodent too!

Are the winters that BAD in Texas?:shock: I don't remember any scenes of JR shovelling snow.:lol:

it isn't snow..........ice , ice storms , freezing rain and drizzle... damp , cold and sometimes brutally windy.... frankly winter in NYC was better ( but much longer )

j.r. had cliff barnes shovelling

·
Registered
407 Posts
93 is the best for the motor. If you have pulled plugs before then you will see the difference in the octain. Stay with the 93 that is what your car is used to anyway.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I hear what you are all saying. It was brutally cold here last week. One day it even got into the 70's

I'm sorry......I couldn't help myself :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts