Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to have powersteering pump replaced and have come across the issue of OEM remanufactured vs OEM new issue. Seems like to me I should be able to find a "new" power steering pump. Is there such a thing?

·
Premium Member
18,430 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Not to steal this thread, but I'm having the same issue with finding a rack and pinion. Or, the ones I find are all aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All this is a very confusing issue. I found a p/s pump on Dallas Mustang for about $65 plus a $50 core charge which I guess is refunded when you send the old one back. Seems to me that if there is a core charge you are buying something that is rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
18,430 Posts
dennisbaker said:
All this is a very confusing issue. I found a p/s pump on Dallas Mustang for about $65 plus a $50 core charge which I guess is refunded when you send the old one back. Seems to me that if there is a core charge you are buying something that is rebuilt.
Sorry Dennis, I think that is all your going to find. Unless you can track down Ford's supplier of p.s. pumps. Unfortunately, this maybe something that they still build in-house.:surprised So, it's rebuilt, or rebuilt from what I can tell. That's all I have ever been able to find.:neutral:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
MustangsUnlimited: rebuilt: http://mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=SP30+01 $289.00 + shipping and $50.00 core charge.
$289.00 plus core ... WHAAAAAAAAAT ??? That is a bit steep. In the past when it has come to P/S and brake parts I am a believer in new as opposed to rebuilt but DAAAAAAAAANG !!! :confused:

I tell Ya, when I get my garage built this year I think I am going to start doing some things "on the side" and see if I can't beat some fo these steep-overhead prices. :badgrin:

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
This is the power steering pump that the shop put on my car in March 2007....part # 3r3z3a696aa....it is shown as OEM new on my invoice....price $142.45.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
dg517 said:
This is the power steering pump that the shop put on my car in March 2007....part # 3r3z3a696aa....it is shown as OEM new on my invoice....price $142.45.
That's a lot better than almost $300.00

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
New 99-04 $131.49

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="tabletext" style="border-top: 4px double rgb(2, 85, 137);" valign="top">P/s pump, mustang, 4.6l - power - POWER</td> <td class="tabletext" style="border-top: 4px double rgb(2, 85, 137);" align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 96-04 </td> <td class="tabletext" style="border-top: 4px double rgb(2, 85, 137);" align="right" valign="top">$143.12</td> <td class="tabletext" style="border-top: 4px double rgb(2, 85, 137);" align="right" valign="top">$40.00</td> <td class="tabletext" style="border-top: 4px double rgb(2, 85, 137);" align="right" valign="top"> $131.49</td></tr></tbody></table>Item Year MSRP You pay

is from here: Click here

Core charge $40

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I finally have this thing figured out. I talked to a guy in the parts department at the Ford dealership. He said that if I ordered the pump from them (meaning the Ford dealership), it would cost $140 and would be OEM. I asked if it would be new and he said it will be designated as remanufactured and that some that are designated as remanufactured may actually be new. I am not sure I believe that. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as the part is OEM. It is interesting that when I checked the price for the same part at our Lincoln Mercury dealer their price was $170+. This is the same Lincoln Mercury place that charged (overcharged) me $160 for a set of plug wires for the 98GT. Well anyway, my mechanic got a pump for $100 at a parts place in town but I don't think it is OEM so I am going to ask him to get the OEM one from the Ford dealer. So sometime this week the pump, new 3.5" exhaust tips and new aluminum driveshaft will all be installed. Next item will be reinstallation of the 327 gears.

·
Premium Member
18,430 Posts
If your going for MPG are you planning on doing the front spoiler? I should think that would help. I maybe wrong, but a half mile per gallon is a mpg just the same.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually the MPG are not too important for me as I don't really drive the car very much but I have decided to keep the car as opposed to selling and getting an 08. So I am just trying to get the car like I want it so I can drive it a little more and really enjoy it. I am going back to the 327s because I like the low end sound of the exhaust system which I lost some of with the 373s. I am also hoping a gear reinstall with stop the clattering sound when doing a tight circle. The aluminum drive shaft is more about appearance than weight but there are reports on this site that the aluminum driveshaft enhanced shifting, acceleration, etc. I have no specific expectations regarding the driveshaft except for better appearance.

·
Premium Member
18,430 Posts
Aluminum driveshaft? I don't know about driveability, but it should look better for sure. Everyone that has the front spoiler swears by them. I think I'm going to put one on my Bullitt.

Are you going to get a bigger mirror for the show people to see your driveshaft? :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts