Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5.0s are notorious for allowing gas odor into the car when running an off road midpipe. Is this something that the 4.6/Bullitts are known for as well? I am in the process of deciding which midpipe to go with and was strongly considering an off road pipe, like the Pypes X or a prochamber. But, I definitely don't want the same gas fume problem I had with my notchback. Are you o/r midpipe guys experiencing any gas fumes in the cabin? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my Mac O/R X pipe. I've been told they are prone to exhaust leaks and to use the factory manifold gasket to avoid it. I had mine installed by a shop, but I doubt they put a factory gasket in. I'm starting to hear a light tick like an exhaust leak, but no fumes yet.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
You MIGHT have some gas fumes at a stoplight if you have your windows down, but that is pretty much it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I notice the gas fumes mainly on red beans and rice Mondays!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DOUBLE J said:
I notice the gas fumes mainly on red beans and rice Mondays!! :lol:
My wife complains about those fumes just about as often as the ones from the car! :lol:
She hated riding in the 5.0 because of the fumes, so I want to make sure that I don't cause the same problem with the Bullitt by going with an o/r pipe. But, I really want to squeeze every bit of sound out of the factory catback that I can, so the o/r pipe is very tempting!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Off Road mid pipes have no convertors to burn off the exhaust gases,so you will have a gassy smell to the exhaust. However,since modern EFI engines idle in the 14.5 A/F zone,they are not as bad as the old muscle cars which were in the mid 13 A/F area. The hotter the cam the more fumes will result from cam timing overlap at idle.

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
The only smell we noticed on 745 was right after the o/r H-pipe was put on was a burning smell. Once that was gone have noticed anything since in the cabin. It has been on since the Woodward weekend of 2005.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments guys! I'm not considering keeping the stock midpipe for a while and changing to a Pypes catback in fully polished T304 stainless. Just a consideration at the moment.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Added a MAC O/R Pro Chamber @ six months ago. I'll notice it sometimes if I'm sitting in the car with door open and the motor running, but I generally don't drive down the road that way. :wink: Go for it.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
u want to keep the stock cat back and add a mac prochamber with no cats. ull love it. mine sounds amazing and there are or was a clip or 2 of me racing with it...thats about the only sound clip ive got tho

·
Registered
967 Posts
i have a mac o/r h pipe. i occasionally smell gases but thats not very often. sounded awsome with stock cat back but i put flowmaster cat back on it and it sounds perfect imho. not as loud as i want but thats easily fixed with headers lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts