Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had a problem with the police about an off-road x-pipe? My car doesn't get inspected but i dont want any problems. Can i just get a ticket or isn't that illegal to not have cats?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, one quick question, what intake is better for the bullitt, im at a stand off

the jlt or the C&L trueflow kit (80mm MAF with trueflow kit)

·
Registered
987 Posts
No Cats in the USA is illegal. Cops dont really enforce it too much but if u run into a very mean cop u may end up wit problems.

By the way JLT is the better kit. Make sure u get the one that goes into the fender.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OGBATMAN said:
No Cats in the USA is illegal. Cops dont really enforce it too much but if u run into a very mean cop u may end up wit problems.

By the way JLT is the better kit. Make sure u get the one that goes into the fender.
Thanks alot man, im gettin new heads/cams and headers so i guess i'll get that jlt also

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
its a federal offense to remove functioning cats from a vehicle. you can only do it if they fail, and they must be replaced with an approved replacement. CA seems to be the most strict as far as smog shops and cops, so you probably wont have a problem. ask me how i know all this stuff :rolleyes:
i just got a ticket for my headers (same ticket for not having cats). they are considered smog devices and tampering with them is illegal in CA. i think most states allow you to change headers as long as the cats are not changed or moved. cops are starting to catch on to stangs (bored with ricers maybe?????) and i personally dont see them getting any easier with modified exhaust systems. at least here, its not worth it to run o/r pipes. i learned the hard way, now i have to pull the headers, think about "nice" exhaust while i drive with a quiet setup, and pay fines. it sucks!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
There's no reason to ever run an off-road pipe. The catted pipes sound better and are environmentally responsible. More people running off-road pipes shines the spotlight on our hobby and the general public gets the idea that modified cars are polluters and from there it's a short trip to having any mods be illegal.
Do the right thing and lay down the coin for the catted pipes. Besides, if you ever have women in the car, they hate smelling like exhaust from the off-roads.
If I'm even riding in a car with off-roads, my wife has severe allergic reactions. Not worth it on any front for me.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
lee50guru said:
There's no reason to ever run an off-road pipe. The catted pipes sound better and are environmentally responsible. More people running off-road pipes shines the spotlight on our hobby and the general public gets the idea that modified cars are polluters and from there it's a short trip to having any mods be illegal.
Do the right thing and lay down the coin for the catted pipes. Besides, if you ever have women in the car, they hate smelling like exhaust from the off-roads.
If I'm even riding in a car with off-roads, my wife has severe allergic reactions. Not worth it on any front for me.

personally o/r pipes sound better to me, but thats just my opinion. and i think the smell thing is over rated. i've had plenty of chicks in 890, and i dont recall ever hearing a complaint about it. only thing they whine about is how loud it gets :D

also, i think its a little late to worry about what the general public thinks about cars. a very large percentage of the population views cars as appliances, and most likely do not notice what exhaust systems we are running. those who make the laws that effect the hot rod hobby have no knowledge about cars, and neither do those that enforce them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Never had a problem with the o/r H on the Bullitt....it even passed emmisions!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts