Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am cosidering trading Bullitt #2989 for a 2001 Camaro Z-28 SS Convertible.This car was 35400 new.It is black with black top and black leather.This is a 6spd car with all options.It is 1 of 144 SS convertibles in black with a 6spd,no breakdown on how many with this option combo.This car has 3400 miles,my Bullitt has 2100 miles.My driving impression is that the cars are virtually equal until 3rd gear.I feel that at that time the SS is definitely stronger.Remember,this is an even trade for a car that was 7000 dollars more.What would you do?

·
Registered
152 Posts
well that would depend on how BAD you want that car. i wouldnt do it because i dont like camaro's, i respect them but would never own any outside of a vett, or tahoe. That sounds like a very sweet deal. Is the car at a dealer? I would have to ask my self why would someone want to do a deal like that???? What is in it for them???

good luck deciding!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
That is a tough decision. Personally, I am saving up to buy a used Camaro SS T-top, 6 spd. Maybe in about 1-2 years. No way will I get rid of my Bullitt. It is just to nice of a car.

Mike

DHG #3463
San Ramon, CA.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,it is at a dealer.I an a dealer also.The SS was purchased new at this dealer and traded back in on a Z06 vette.This car has aways been garaged and is flawless.What the dealer gets out of the trade is the car has been in stock for over 60 days and is eating in to his floor plan,also,he doesnt want to sit on it through winter into next spring.As to me,I think to truly experince a car you must own it for a period of time,not just drive it around the block.I cant afford to keep both cars.When I purchase cars it is as a dealer-at very good prices;when trading I generally dont loose much.I have owned pretty much everthing,but some for just a short period of time,when I can sell and come out,I usually do.Sometimes I do regret selling a car,but I eventually buy another like it.I have owned 5 Cobras and that is why.Still dont know what I will do. thanx for the imput!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Don't know that you are going to find 5 Bullitts to go through at Auction, keep that in mind. The fact that this car has not turned in over 60 days might be a clue, and if I wanted a high performance Camaro to evaluate, it would be a coupe.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have you checked out the insurance rates for the Camaro? I know here in Pennsylvania, and neighboring states, the insurance rates on Camaros and Firebirds are rediculously high.
But, basically, if it's just deciding between the 2 cars... pick the one you like. Don't pick it cause it's 1 of 144. Same with the Bullitt....don't keep it cause it's 1 of....(whatever). Pick the one you like the looks of and like driving. Good luck with whatever you do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I go to two auctions every week.I have never seen a Bullitt at auction.I have also never seen a 2001 SS covertible either.As for Convertibles,I just like them.I currently have a 1988 LX 5.0, i have owned a 1994 Cobra Pace car that I traded in on the Bullitt that only had 17000 miles,I have also had a 1996 Trans Am Convertible and A 1996 Cobra Convertible.They are not as fast as a hard top,but I like them and they tend to hold their value Quite well.The biggest reason that it has Hung around,so to speak,is they are asking 28,995,in east Tn not many people can afford it.Thanx for all imput,it will be a hard decision.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bullit 4552.My general thoughts have to do with money,the SS currently has a higher retail and wholesale-for an even trade,the logical side of me says trade.However,I expected the performance difference to be greater between the two after reading all available literature.The weight difference between the two is the main reason.I have a strange addiction to cars that I cant seem to shake,even when I think that I am going to keep one I still want to get something different.I even bought a 1995 Saleen S351 that was a documented 1 of 1 car with options and colors,kept it approx 60 days!But made money selling it.And its not over yet.I work for a Lincoln-Mercury Dealer and I will have to buy a Marauder next summer too,ditto the Mach 1! Boy have I got it bad!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Doesn't sound like you hold your Bullitt too tightly. If you go where your head takes you, your heart could be left behind.

I drive my Bullitt because I really like it. Do I want or need a Porsche, Vette, or a Jag? Not really. I could bust my butt to get something like that, if need be. The Bullitt just sets off a kid-racer in me. No other car has ever made me feel that way. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be so lucky if I went car shopping today.

And, forgive me, but Camaros just don't look as neat to me. The lines just don't make me smile and nod in agreement of design. Some will feel otherwise, I'm sure.

My guess is, though, that somebody out there wants your Bullitt and is willing to make an extra effort for it.

Maybe 1 of 5601 Bullitts is actually better than 1 of 144 SS's. If somebody said I could have 1 of 12 Yugo's, I wouldn't jump on it!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do agree with the looks,especially the wheels.I have a habit of over thinking things.The heart and mind thing is very true and I do agree.The Bullitt is definitely a much better overall package in balance and overall day to day driveability,as was my Cobra Convertible over my Trans Am Convertible.Even my wife,who knows nothing about cars,has said that she liked the Cobra much better than the T/A because of the hump in the floorboard of the T/A and much more comfortable ride and interior of the Cobra.I did plan on keeping the Bullitt.I have the plastic off of the seats,every decal off of the car was removed without destroying them and is in a binder,the original shipping invoice,the dealer invoice,the window sticker,copies of all paperwork associated with the sale,several emails from Ford and Team Mustang sent both before sent to me both pre and post production,the build sheet,etc. I just have this strange need to continuously trade and experience other cars!Is their and AA group for this addiction?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yea, there is a group for those with the affliction of car-trade-itis. It's called BULLITTCLUB! You will find that if you keep your Bullitt that all will be well in time. Your addiction to trading will slowly, but surely, pass. And you will somehow find a way to collect other autos yet keep your Bullitt at the same time. There is hope for those who cannot remain settled in life.

Bullitts aren't driven by those who are interested in a complacent existence.

Just pretend that the Bullitt does not exist for a few years. Put a cover on it. Pretend that you're back in high school searching for that first car. Save up for another SS. It won't be hard so hard to get one in years to come.

Drive a junker in the meantime. It keeps things in perspective. My daily beater is an '88 Ranger with 150,000 miles. Then, periodically remove the storage cover from your Bullitt and marvel at the beauty and satisfaction that it brings to you and your friends. Imaging what joy a Bullitt would have brought to you in high school! Over time, your heart will agree with all of us here.

Good luck. Your friends are here in support!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll throw my two cents in; I traded my '99 Camaro SS 6 speed T-Top for the Bullitt; I ordered the Bullitt when I first heard about it in Autoweek and it arrived in early May. I had 3 months to contemplate getting rid of the SS and the closer the Bullitt got to arriving, the more I figured I'd just let it go and keep the Camaro. To me, it was a horsepower thing; I had read and heard so much about the awesome LS1 that I just didn't believe a lowly 4.6 could ever satisfy me. After driving the Bullitt, I had no problem letting the Camaro go. The GM 6 speed tranny with the skip shift is the stupidest thing that ever came out of Detroit, the cheap leather on the drivers seat was wearing prematurely, I had countless electrical gremlins that the Chevy dealer never did get resolved and by and large, it just loomed more and more obvious that though awfully darn fast, the Camaro was junk and keeping it past the warranty would be just plain dumb. And I don't see ANYTHING exclusive about having an SS; I don't know what it's like in your city, but around here, there are more SS's than regular Z28's! Now, if you want a convertible, by all means go for it; cars are never really an investment; you just lose your shirt faster on some over others.
Having owned both 95 and 99 Camaro's, I can honestly grade them, the good and the bad. Believe me, there is a very good reason that the Camaro/Firebird is going away, even if for only a few years; it's a bad car. A performance bargain, but just not up to the standards of what everyone else is building. Just my opinion. I'd keep the Bullitt. You'll miss it when it's gone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unless you plan on selling the Camaro and buying another Bullitt, and with the few bucks you may end up profiting buying something nice for your wife or girlfriend, the answer is easy;

DON'T DO IT !

If you do you will be sorry, I wouldn't sell my Harley Fatboy for a Ninja, Get my drift?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this topic.When I saw the Bullitt concept article in the December issue of MotorTrend I fell in love with the car and I thought to myself that if Ford ever came out with it that I would sell whatever I currently owned and buy it.Well 2 weeks ago I happened to visit the Ford website and I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that Ford actually went and made the Bullitt and it looked almost the same as the concept car. Well I found a black Bullitt and bought it immediately. So now I am selling my 1998 Vette Coupe.That's how much I love my Bullitt. Vettes and Camaro's coupes and convertibles are everywhere,but how many Bullits do you see every day. Not many I would suspect. Maybe the Bullitt can't go 170 mph,but then again where are you going to really go that fast and stay alive or out of jail. Keep your Bullitt!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts