Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get a good answer from any parts websites, so I thought I'd ask here. I'm going to buy a new rack and pinion to replace my leaking unit. While I'm at it I thought of installing offset bushing. I have Steeda springs installed, so the car is only slightly lower than stock. Do you think it is worth putting these bushings on?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
From the Maximum Motorsports site:

Maximum Motorsports' research on bumpsteer proved that with a stock K-member, a center drilled bushing is best, whatever the ride height. When large changes in geometry have been made, as with the MM K-member, the correct use of offset steering rack bushings will relocate the rack to a position which makes it easier to correct the bumpsteer with the MM Adjustable Tie-Rod Ends.

We don't recommend offset rack bushings for stock K-Members...

Offset steering rack bushings move the rack far too much on stock K-Members, and make an acceptible situation far worse than if you had done nothing at all. See our test results in the July 1993 issue of Super Ford, the September 1998 issue of 5.0 Mustang, or call our tech line for more details.

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
punk lancelot said:
From the Maximum Motorsports site:

Maximum Motorsports' research on bumpsteer proved that with a stock K-member, a center drilled bushing is best, whatever the ride height. When large changes in geometry have been made, as with the MM K-member, the correct use of offset steering rack bushings will relocate the rack to a position which makes it easier to correct the bumpsteer with the MM Adjustable Tie-Rod Ends.

We don't recommend offset rack bushings for stock K-Members...

Offset steering rack bushings move the rack far too much on stock K-Members, and make an acceptible situation far worse than if you had done nothing at all. See our test results in the July 1993 issue of Super Ford, the September 1998 issue of 5.0 Mustang, or call our tech line for more details.
That's what I went by. I replaced with centered urethane bushings.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the set of aluminum center-drilled rack bushings from MM. Everyone at Corner-carvers says do NOT use the offset bushings. It actually makes the bumpsteer condition worse because the steering arms are no longer rotating from the same point as the LCAs. They aren't now, but you make it a lot worse by installing them.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Hi Doc,
I had Scott Hoag install them on my 04 GT with a lot of other suspension work. The new position of the wheel centers the wheel in the wheel well, lengthens the wheel base by a half inch and helps slightly with weight distribition.

Mine are urethane and they squeak when the suspension rises and falls but I like them otherwise.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was referring to the rack bushings. It seems that the general opinion is to not get them, unless I get a bunch of other suspension work done. Besides the springs, the suspension is stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts