Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used Slick 50 in the past, but I thought I'd do a bit of research to see if there were any good alternatives out there. I found this article:

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/snake_oil.txt

This was enough to convince me to never use any oil additive again. Thought others might want to read it.

Here's a snippet. There's lots more where this came from:

"After the second 20-hour run, both engines were completely torn down and inspected by the company's engineers. What they found was
that both engines suffered from scored crankpin bearings, but the engine treated with the additive also suffered from heavy cylinder bore damage that was not evident on the untreated engine.
This points out once again the inherent problem with particulate oil additives: They can cause oil starvation. "

Joe

·
Registered
959 Posts
Additives in a word... No...No..NO!

Forget them. Put a premium oil in, preferably a synthetic, change it religiously and enjoy a healthy engine.

Brian

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm in agreement with Ford Bullitt. No additives are the rule, for me. I've read these posts a thousand times. Synthetic, synthetic, synthetic, synthetic, synthetic.................

And when you're done with that, use more synthetic!

Changing it now and then could help, too!

·
Registered
835 Posts
In case anyone is interested, Art Hyde told me he's using Castrol Syntec 5W20 in his Bullitt.

I haven't found any on the shelves in Houston. I guess you have to work for Ford to get it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swore by Castrol Syntec in my T'bird. However, I can't find it in 5w20. I planned to change my oil at 1K, but due to not being able to find any 5W20 synthetic anywhere, I'm now up to about 1600.

AMSOIL has it available in 5W20 on their website if anyone is interested. I ordered some late last week, but it has not yet arrived.

http://www.amsoil.com/

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
It would really simplify the decision for me if Mobil would get the synthetic 5w-20 to market pretty soon. I have bought Motorcraft 5w-20 for the first oil change and I guess I will stick with it for at least the next change. I have about 20 quarts of 5w-30 Mobil 1 sitting in the shop, but some people have me wondering wether or not to use it :???:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One last word on synthetics... I didn't need any convincing, but still found this to be very interesting...

Warning, this is one LONG article, but it is chock full of statistical and anecdotal evidence regarding use of synthetic oils.

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt

Joe

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Thanks for the link!

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-09 01:04, DHG-1934 wrote:
One last word on synthetics... I didn't need any convincing, but still found this to be very interesting...

Warning, this is one LONG article, but it is chock full of statistical and anecdotal evidence regarding use of synthetic oils.

Joe
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Sounds like Amsoil 5w20 for me....Seems to be the best from what I've read regarding various tests performed. What filter are you going to use?
Thanks again for this great information!

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-09 01:04, DHG-1934 wrote:

Joe
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a Purolator Pure 1. I don't necessarily know that this is the best choice, but I trust Purolator. I've used them for years just on reputation, but I tried to find some hard data this time around. I couldn't find any really detailed oil filter comparisons online, though the ones I did find all agreed that Fram was junk. (Which is what I grew up being told by my dad, too.) The comparisons I did find just really examined physical construction. I agree that this matters, but among "good" filters, I doubt the performance can be gauged just looking at the filter element with your eye. The Amsoil spin on filter interests me, and claims to be much more effective than traditional spin on designs, but I can't find ANYTHING about it except on the mfr site, which isn't enough for me.

We used centrifugal bypass filtration on our machinery when I was in the USN, and I am looking into the Amsoil bypass filter because of that. Obviously it's not centrifugal, but I get the idea that by bypassing the normal oil stream with a separate filtration stream it can filter much more thoroughly since it doesn't have to worry about being a source of oil starvation. However, I have yet to find anything about that, either. (Though I haven't looked much for the bypass filter yet.) I didn't even know that bypass filters were ever used on cars until I read that article. I'll say this, our centrifugal purifiers in the USN really did keep the oil looking brand new. I'd think that acid formation would still be a problem over time, but since the oil would still be getting changed every 3k, it shouldn't be a problem for us...

It may seem like overkill, but as I've said before, I plan to pass this car down to my kids when I die. (And I don't even have kids yet.)

Also, I tend to be a research whore when I get interested in something... :smile:

Joe

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
"Also, I tend to be a research whore when I get interested in something..."

Same here....I noticed that "blanket" type filter they mentioned vs the accordion paper type...I may try that...You're going to change oil every 3k?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know that is excessive by today's standards, esp with synthetic, but I look at it as added insurance. Clean oil can never be bad, and it makes me feel like I'm doing everything I can to promote long engine life and reduce wear. I doubt I drive as hard as alot of people here do, but I know I drive harder than any of my friends or family would be driving the car. If I had an excuse to dran the tranny fluid I'd be putting synthetic in there, too. :smile:

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts