Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type and weight of oil is everyone using. Also, how about the filter - Does it matter what we use?

I was going to drain the origional oil at 1000 miles and I am trying to determine what velocity I should use.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think you mean viscosity, not velocity. Ford recommends 5W-20. I think I will go with 10W-30 after I complete my break in at 3K. Gotta get the oil changed this week, coming up on 1500 miles. Will stay with whatever dealer puts in until 3K. Then it's 10W-30 Mobil 1 for me from then out.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-06-09 16:02, Dillo Dave wrote:
I think you mean viscosity, not velocity.
[snip]

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe not, maybe Lou was trying to point out that he's not sure what Velocity he should drive his Bullitt at; Fast, or Very Fast. :wink:

I suggest Very Fast. :wink:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL - Very fast it is!

So are you changing the oil only at 1500 miles and then the oil and oil filter @ 3000 miles with the dealer recommended oil/filter?

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,068 Posts
Lou: at the Ford garage they change the oil and filter for your first oil and filter change. All the extra shavings and "stuff" go into the factory filter and needs to be changed. Shouldn't you ALWAYS change the filter, anyway, when you do an oil change?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
ALWAYS change the filter when you change the oil. So, yes, will be changing both. If you don't change the filter, the crap it catches has an opportunity to get back into the engine and muck things up.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i'm a VERY firm believer in getting that 1st oil change in VERY early. when the engines are assembled they sometimes have to use lubricants at the factory(maybe other chemicals too?) also any metal particles show up ealiest because of initial but normal friction during break-in. wanted to get rid of those too.
changed the oil at 500 miles the 1st time. will let Ford do the 1st free change(from dealer) at about 2000 miles and then every 3000 miles from there on out.
firmly believe 5W-20 is too light an oil. Ford recommended 5W-30 for my 97 and 99 GT's with the 4.6 and i'm sticking with 5W-30.
i don't trust 5W-20 to hold up under LOTS of jack rabbit starts and lots of high speed criusing, especially in the summer.
Ford's Motorcraft filter is a VERY good filter. make SURE you do NOT use a cheap filter!!!!!!!!
has anyone ever tried K & N 's oil filter???

·
Registered
53 Posts
To mystang99:
Be careful about using anything other than the specified 5W20. I asked the local Ford and Mercury dealership concerning this. Both clearly told me that this would void my warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks Doc but i'd fight them to my grave on that one. the 4.6 hasn't changed one iota!! but all of a sudden it's better to use 5W-20 in lieu of 5W-30???? there have been a couple of mechanics @ BON who said it's BS and a couple of guys who know oil WAY better than me tell me that Ford changed their recommended oil for CAFE econmoy figures and emissions reasons ONLY!! all the Ford people(off the record) and mechanics say that 5W-30 offers better protection
thanks for the comment though!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
To mystang99:
I agree with you about 5W20 being too thin but in my case the (2) local dealers are strict about this. Some dealers are just more flexible in these judgement calls. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
no prob! i like that we can offer thoughts, comments, opinions, and experience to our fellow Bullittheads!

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
I for one can not see how Ford would want me to run such thin oil in the heat of Texas...that would put more stress on the motor. How and the hell would they know what you have been putting in it anyway if you had a motor go south. If my motor tanked they would give me a new car just to get rid of me if you know what I mean. 5w-20...what the heck are they thinking?

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
no argument here merc50. i lived in Dallas from 1980 till 1998 and i KNOW how freakin' hot it gets (and Houston and West Texas are even hotter). the Bullitt has an engine that is a little "hotter" off the line and a little more high performance than a standard GT(not as much as a Cobra though) so they have to know it's going to be run hard (and fast)sometimes. and quite honestly, i think we have more Bullitts in Texas than any other state so far. why they insist on 5W-20 now AND think it offers adaquate protection is beyond me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts