Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked up my Bullitt from the dealer, I was informed that the Ford recommended oil change interval for my car is 7500 miles. Is that possibly correct? I believe that is what is in the maintenance log that comes with the car. Just seems like a long time between changes, even for the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
what does the manual say? oil is better than ever, engines are better than ever. If the manual states 7500, that is what I would do if driving under normal conditions.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
7500 miles is probably premature. But I play it safe and change the oil once per year, whether it needs it or not!

·
Registered
417 Posts
The 3,000 Mile Oil Change Myth
By Bill Siuru, Greencar.com

According to a recent study by the California Integrated Waste Management Board, 73 percent of California drivers change their oil more frequently than required. This same scenario no doubt repeats itself across the country. Besides wasting money, this translates into unnecessary consumption of $100-a-barrel oil, much of it imported.

Using 2005 data, the Board estimates that Californians alone generate about 153.5 million gallons of waste oil annually, of which only about 60 percent is recycled. Used motor oil poses the greatest environmental risk of all automotive fluids because it is insoluble, persistent, and contains heavy metal and toxic chemicals. One gallon of used oil can foul the taste of one million gallons of water.

It’s been a misconception for years that engine oil should be changed every 3000 miles, even though most auto manufacturers now recommend oil changes at 5,000, 7,000, or even 10,000 mile intervals under normal driving conditions.

Greatly improved oils, including synthetic oils, coupled with better engines mean longer spans between oil changes without harming an engine. The 3000 mile interval is a carryover from days when engines used single-grade, non-detergent oils.

For several years, automakers like General Motors, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz have installed computerized systems that alert drivers via an instrument panel light when it’s time to change oil. As an example, the General Motor Oil Life System (GMOLS) analyzes the engine temperature, rpms, vehicle speeds, and other driving conditions to calculate the rate of engine oil degradation. Then, software calculates when the oil needs to be changed. Other systems work similarly.

Because of the many external conditions and parameters that have to be taken into account, calculating the precise maximum service interval using mathematical models alone is difficult. Now, Daimler AG has developed a more direct and precise way to monitor oil quality directly on board a vehicle.

Daimler uses a special sensor integrated into the oil circuit to monitor engine oil directly. Oil doesn’t wear out, but rather dirt and impurities cause oil to lose its ability to lubricate properly, dictating the need for a change. Daimler uses the oil’s “permittivity,” that is, the ability to polarize in response to the electric field. If the engine oil is contaminated by water or soot particles, it polarizes to a greater extent and its permittivity increases.

To evaluate the quality of the oil, permittivity is measured by applying an AC potential between the interior and exterior pipes of an oil-filled sensor to determine how well the oil transmits the applied electric field.

Because not all impurities can be measured with sufficient precision via the electric field method, Daimler also measures the oil’s viscosity to detect any fuel that may have seeped into the oil. Daimler researchers measure viscosity while the vehicle is in motion by observing the oil's side-to-side motion in the oil sump. The slower the oil moves, the higher its viscosity. This movement is registered by a sensor and the viscosity is calculated on this basis.

A single sensor, along with the information already monitored by on-board computers, is sufficient to determine the various parameters of the engine oil. Daimler will likely use the technology first on its commercial vehicles. Here, large oil reservoirs mean larger quantities of oil can be saved. Plus, a predicted 25 percent increase between service intervals and reduced downtime will be of interest to fleets, and thus justify the added cost of installation.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/aut...hange-myth/;_ylt=ArVLKC2DLdhGbHMhJTWYYIsazJV4

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
PoisnIV said:
When I picked up my Bullitt from the dealer, I was informed that the Ford recommended oil change interval for my car is 7500 miles. Is that possibly correct? I believe that is what is in the maintenance log that comes with the car. Just seems like a long time between changes, even for the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil.
That's a typo - the decimal was in the wrong place. It should read "change oil and filter every 750.0 miles."

(ZZZZZZzzzzt-ploip! Trolltrolltrolltrolltrolltrolltroll.............)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oil Change

I have just purchased my new Bullitt Highland Green 3374. As for oil changes my first three are free. Seems they want to do the 3,000 mile change thing and use full synthetic Ford Motor Oil.
Also, they did not wish for me to use the cruse controle until I had 1,500 miles on the Bullitt. Don't know if this helps, but I will go to 5,000 miles once the free ones are over.
Jimmy

·
Registered
61 Posts
So, filtering the oil might be the topic to dicuss and after reading what seems to be a credible thread from Martimus I think I will move to this: Change oil filter every 3k miles and oil at 7500 miles.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think you have it!The smaller filters of today seem to be my largest concern.They can only hold so much stuff before they are forcing the engine into full bypass mode.Do some oil test research and you will see which oils have an additive package that can go the distance.Royal Purple has been seen to be completlt depleted of the additives in as little as 4K miles.

·
Charles
13,307 Posts
Jimmy Galloway said:
I have just purchased my new Bullitt Highland Green 3374. As for oil changes my first three are free. Seems they want to do the 3,000 mile change thing and use full synthetic Ford Motor Oil.
Also, they did not wish for me to use the cruse controle until I had 1,500 miles on the Bullitt. Don't know if this helps, but I will go to 5,000 miles once the free ones are over.
Jimmy
Make sure the first change is between 500 and 1000 miles. :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
to filter it!

Really I am not trying to be a smart-butt!

As the filter works, it will begin to get clogged as it gets clogged (to prevent flow issues) it will begin to bypass the oil through without it being filtered. A good oil filter should last 3000 miles with no issue but asking it to last 7,500 miles without it getting clogged is asking a lot for a filter that actually filters stuff out of the oil!

Even on planes we replace the hydraulic filters and not the hydraulic fluid! In order to keep it clean.

I will continue to change my oil every 3000 miles (mainly because I don't drive as much as I used to and it takes a while to put 3000 on them) But if you plan to stretch it out longer, I think changing the filter out at 3000 and replacing that one quart of oil is a good idea.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I have cut many oil filters apart, cut everyone when I had the Bullitt. I found very little or no particles in the filters. I have know people who never changed oil, just the filter and added oil when needed. I always figured if I am going to the trouble to change the filter, I will add about five minutes and give it fresh oil. In the planes are the filters synthetic filter media?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
Make sure the first change is between 500 and 1000 miles. :smile:
No offense, but this may not be necessary. Only a few guys on this forum say that it is necessary to do the first change at 500-1000 miles. Everyone else tells me to follow the maintenance schedule: The dealer, my repair shop, the owner of the shop I used to work at, etc....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Part of the deal when I bought my B was oil changes every 5000 km (~3000 miles) for 3 years, so that's what I'll be doing...

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
rblack4405 said:
I have cut many oil filters apart, cut everyone when I had the Bullitt. I found very little or no particles in the filters. I have know people who never changed oil, just the filter and added oil when needed. I always figured if I am going to the trouble to change the filter, I will add about five minutes and give it fresh oil. In the planes are the filters synthetic filter media?
The planes are a combo paper/wiremesh media. They have a system to tell us when the filters are clogged by measuring the difference in pressure from one side of the filter to the other. Even after an indication is given that the filters are clogged you can not see the particles because they are so small. I figure car filters are the same VERY small particles clog them up not bigger ones. I happen to agree with you about changing the oil but for those that do decide to run 7500 miles between changes I would think changing the filter is a good compromise

·
Registered
562 Posts
I change the oil in my 07 Mustang every 3,000 miles. It's the first car that I have gone that far between oil changes. On that car, it's 90% highway miles. When I drain it, it is filthy. All my other car get the oil changed at 2,000 miles. That includes two Corvettes that use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Oil is cheap, engines are not.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I'll change the oil and filter on #5924 at 1,000 miles. Then again at 3,000 miles and every 3,000 after that. I've done all my cars this way for decades and never had one burn oii or lose compression, yet.

Less internal friction and wear inside means better performance overall.

·
Registered
87 Posts
cobrafast1 said:
I'll change the oil and filter on #5924 at 1,000 miles. Then again at 3,000 miles and every 3,000 after that. I've done all my cars this way for decades and never had one burn oii or lose compression, yet.

Less internal friction and wear inside means better performance overall.
does anyone use Ford Racing Oil Filters? My dealer does not stock them and I will have to order from Ford if they are worth the difference.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.