Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Ford Dealer this week and I asked my service writer if switching to full synthetic oil was okay as far as the warranty was concerned.He said no problem.Is this true?

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Mine wanted to change it to valvoline synth. I declined,had dino oil put in. In about 2k more miles I will change it to Amsoil..

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
In our work trucks it has proven to lower op temps, increase engine life.. In the Bullitt, which is driven lightly as a second vehicle, just because :) :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
My dealer gave me 3 years of free oil changes as part of the purchase deal. I'll most likely use what they put in and my understanding is that the recommended is a synthetic blend by Motorcraft.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
I'm looking at going with Mobil One. I've had great luck in my other cars and have become quite the fan over the years.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Someone at an auto parts store told me that if one switches to Mobil 1, they need to remain with Mobil 1 for the life of the car. He said something to the effect of it affecting the seals and that going back to a conventional oil could result in leaks.

I don't know if that's true or not. Has anyone else heard that same line?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
bullitt4428 said:
Someone at an auto parts store told me that if one switches to Mobil 1, they need to remain with Mobil 1 for the life of the car. He said something to the effect of it affecting the seals and that going back to a conventional oil could result in leaks.

I don't know if that's true or not. Has anyone else heard that same line?
It's just that - a line.

All the synthetic/dino oil myths come from back in the '70s/early '80s when people would switch-over to syth after years of runnin' dino oil in a particular engine. The better "detergent action" of the synth would then clean-out all the sludge and garbage left-behind by the old dino oil, and sometimes cause seals and gaskets to leak where they hadn't before (because the "crap" was pluggin' the holes!).

That was over 3-decades of oil-technology ago. Couple that with better engineering, machine-tool practices, and metallurgy - and you don't see "black" oil in your car unless you haven't changed it in 25,000 miles..........

The Chinese make better machines today than most manufacturers were making here in the '70s - and they're almost universally derided as single-use disposable trash.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
JC2954 said:
It's just that - a line.

All the synthetic/dino oil myths come from back in the '70s/early '80s when people would switch-over to syth after years of runnin' dino oil in a particular engine. The better "detergent action" of the synth would then clean-out all the sludge and garbage left-behind by the old dino oil, and sometimes cause seals and gaskets to leak where they hadn't before (because the "crap" was pluggin' the holes!).

That was over 3-decades of oil-technology ago. Couple that with better engineering, machine-tool practices, and metallurgy - and you don't see "black" oil in your car unless you haven't changed it in 25,000 miles..........
true that.

JC2954 said:
The Chinese make better machines today than most manufacturers were making here in the '70s - and they're almost universally derided as single-use disposable trash.
Hmm, China must not sell those machines here.

Now if you mean Taiwan I might believe it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My dealer switched me to full synthetic cause Im not driving it much. I have a jeep for everyday. They only use part synthetic from the factory. He honors the warrantee so I dont think he is worried about wear in on parts. Cisco

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.