Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i was cleaning off some of the gunk left behind on the windows from the dealer i noticed what appeared to be a new stain in the driveway. As I looked closer it appears that I have a leak coming from around the oil filter. Not only that but it looks as though the filter is to small,... It is definitely smaller than my 97 cougar with the 4.6L. So i measure it and it seems the filter is 3 1/4 inches in length. Of all the filters with dimensions I found online none were below 3 3/4 inches in length. Is it possible that someone put on the wrong filter and thus the leak....

Also what's with the dipstick tube all the twists and bends make it pretty hard to read the oil level..

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If you have a motor craft filter (which you should being its from the dealer) the # should be FL-820S. If not its wrong, I have noticed that when I do oil changes that some oil will spill into a inset nut on the steering rack directly below the oil filter, If you don't clean it out it could drip from there for a little while. But if you have the wrong filter then that is defiantly a problem. as for the dipstick its just annoying.:)

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Also, there could be a chance that the rubber seal from the last filter got stuck on and the new filter just went over it. Something to check.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
droopysbullitt said:
Please check that! that's what happened to Forte 2 and caused the Centerforce Bullitt situation. He lost all his oil and the engine went south.
Definitely, whether its the right one or not she's parked until i get to change it. I was at the parts store and noticed that the FL-810S is about a half inch smaller than the 820.... Looks like someone might have grabbed the wrong part.

Monday when I change it I'll be able to read the numbers on it and see if it was indeed a right filter just different sized or if it was the wrong one to start with. Just glad I haven't driven the snot out of it yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts