Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this may sound like a dumb question, but does anyone know if there is a gasket between where the oil filter is mounted and the block...I don't mean the rubber ring on the oil filter itself, but rather where the actual oil filter housing bolts to the engine block ???

Reason I ask is, changed the oil today after seeing oil on the garage floor and after filling it up, started the car and laid under the car (it was on jackstands). Seems it has been leaking for awhile as there was oil everywhere...however did not leak just sitting there...however while running, you could see it dripping from around the lower bolt. In other words, if you were looking at your oil filter from under the car, the bolt would be about in the seven oclock position and on the front side of the housing. Oil was just dripping out, however when you turned the car off, the drip stops..hence why I'm asking if there is a gasket behind the oil filter housing.

If so, I can't see that it would be that hard to replace. I made sure the bolt was tight and it didn't move, so thats not it. Like I said, while the car is running and there is obviously oil pressure, there is a good drip. When the car is off and just sitting there, nothing.

I thought at first it was the power steering leaking, however with as much that has dripped out, the power steering wouldn't work. And here I thought at 81000 miles the motor was burning oil. Stupid me....

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
BaknBlk said:
Ok, this may sound like a dumb question, but does anyone know if there is a gasket between where the oil filter is mounted and the block...I don't mean the rubber ring on the oil filter itself, but rather where the actual oil filter housing bolts to the engine block ???

Reason I ask is, changed the oil today after seeing oil on the garage floor and after filling it up, started the car and laid under the car (it was on jackstands). Seems it has been leaking for awhile as there was oil everywhere...however did not leak just sitting there...however while running, you could see it dripping from around the lower bolt. In other words, if you were looking at your oil filter from under the car, the bolt would be about in the seven oclock position and on the front side of the housing. Oil was just dripping out, however when you turned the car off, the drip stops..hence why I'm asking if there is a gasket behind the oil filter housing.

If so, I can't see that it would be that hard to replace. I made sure the bolt was tight and it didn't move, so thats not it. Like I said, while the car is running and there is obviously oil pressure, there is a good drip. When the car is off and just sitting there, nothing.

I thought at first it was the power steering leaking, however with as much that has dripped out, the power steering wouldn't work. And here I thought at 81000 miles the motor was burning oil. Stupid me....

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
Are you absolutely sure that the old gasket from a previous oil filter isnt still there? In other words are you double gasketed right now?...thats the only thing that comes to mind....John R

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, there isn't a double gasket there, if you mean the one that comes with the oil filter...I cleaned all of that off and put a new filter on. While watching, you can see the oil dripping from around that one bolt. The area around the oil filter itself is fine.

Like I said, it looks as if the oil is coming from behind the bolt, so I was wondering if there is a gasket between the oil filter housing and where it bolts to the engine block...I would assume so, but I just wanted to make sure.

The oil leaks out pretty quickly while the car is running, in about a minute there was a puddle of fresh clean oil on the garage floor about 3 inches in diameter.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I did a search on the "oil filter gasket" and found the following.

Poor Bill. He changed the oil in the B today and went to drive it off the ramp and oil leaked all over from underneath the car. So he drove it back up and figured he just didn't tighten the filter enough or that Ford gave him the wrong one. It seems that the tightening did the job.

Now after thinking about it for a few hours, he decides to look at the old filter because maybe the old gasket was stuck with the new filter's gasket. Exactly! So he is out in the cold garage again draining the fresh oil and taking the filter out to get the extra gasket out.

Has that ever happened to anyone else here?

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Others on here have had the leak between the block and that housing. I think you may need to purchase a new piece and install it. I also do not know about a gasket there.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Sorry, I cannot help you on the leak or if there is a gasket behind the oil filter block or not.

But, if it turns out that you are going to take it off (looking for a gasket or otherwise) why not just replace it with an after market oil filter block and relocation kit that will make it much easier and cleaner to change the filter in the future?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
dennisbaker said:
I did a search on the "oil filter gasket" and found the following.

Poor Bill. He changed the oil in the B today and went to drive it off the ramp and oil leaked all over from underneath the car. So he drove it back up and figured he just didn't tighten the filter enough or that Ford gave him the wrong one. It seems that the tightening did the job.

Now after thinking about it for a few hours, he decides to look at the old filter because maybe the old gasket was stuck with the new filter's gasket. Exactly! So he is out in the cold garage again draining the fresh oil and taking the filter out to get the extra gasket out.

Has that ever happened to anyone else here?

I have had that happen (This is my crowning achievement in my own personal hall of shame)-I relpaced an oil pan in a 1973 Challenger late into the night once, and after getting the pan & new filter & oil installed I started it up only to have several quarts of oil drain out from between the old gasket which stuck to the housing and the new filter gasket. That was not a fun night....:frown:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
P-51 Bullitt said:
Sorry, I cannot help you on the leak or if there is a gasket behind the oil filter block or not.

But, if it turns out that you are going to take it off (looking for a gasket or otherwise) why not just replace it with an after market oil filter block and relocation kit that will make it much easier and cleaner to change the filter in the future?

I dont want to hijack this-but your car looks great Alan!!!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Take an 2 L. plastic pop bottle, cut it off about 3-4" from the big end. Then cut a notch about 4-6" wide and back toward the cap about 4-6". Leave the cap on the bottle. Loosen the oil filter a little, place the bottle around the filter, with the end against the block, use the notch you cut to put one hand in and turn the filter off. The bottle holds the filter and oil. I did this on the Bullitt and it worked very well. Just put a few paper towels on the suspension under the filter to catch a few drips after the filter is removed. The notch in the bottle may need to be larger depending on the size of your hand. It does work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a gasket behind the oil filter adapter that can leak. We have had to replace a few of them on 4.6's in the past. You have to drain the cooling system before you remove it since it's the oil cooler also. Ohter than that it's not that hard to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts