Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how high everybody else's oil pressure gauge registers. Mine stays in the middle of normal which is fine, but without a numerical gauge who really knows what normal should be. Those gauges can be inaccurate to a certain degree.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-12-02 15:28 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Those gauges are heavily dampened and do not really indicate what is happening,other than you have some oil pressure. I was looking at the oil filter mounting area,and saw another plugged off pressure port,opposite the factory sending unit. I may install a 2 gauge pod,water temp,oil pressure,and tap in to there for oil pressure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-07-01 16:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mus408 is correct. Our gauges are the standard cheap Ford 90 degree magnetic pole gauges that have been used for years. Iv'e been thinking about a nice pro gauge addition but have not decided the best place to mount them. Any ideas ? These gauges do NOT give a qualitative measurement (which i find crazy). Their essentially idiot lights with a needle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There are some really good looking gauges out there and the best place would be on the dash just above the a/c ports. Or if any of you remember the GTO in the 60s, I think they mounted the tach on the hood a couple of years, that might not be a bad setup.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Actually the Oil Pressure guage is not a guage at all. The sending unit is actually a switch. When the oil pressure is anywhere above a certain PSI (I forget what the spec is) the guage will read right in the center. As soon as the guage drops below the specified #, the needle will bottom out at the "Low" hash mark.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Man, you cats are hoopy froopy smart!
I am glad that I can talk to you dudes to find things out.
(Just in case you are wondering - I am being serious.)

·
Registered
959 Posts
I was afraid that the gauge was a "dummy" one...crap. Now I'll have to figure up some way to get true oil pressure readings and not spoil the looks of the interior.

Brian

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I saw a new Saleen Mustang,with the dual guage pod on the dash. It looks like a good setup. About the only place where they wouldn't look like an add on!

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I have been told that if you use the Oil Pressure 'Sending Unit' from a '92 down 5.O, it will essentially make the guage a true guage. I have never tried it, seen it, or validated it. Change at your own risk......

·
Registered
15 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-02 00:13, Mr.T wrote:
Actually the Oil Pressure guage is not a guage at all. The sending unit is actually a switch. When the oil pressure is anywhere above a certain PSI (I forget what the spec is) the guage will read right in the center. As soon as the guage drops below the specified #, the needle will bottom out at the "Low" hash mark.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

If memory serves, it's like 5 or 6 psi. But I wouldn't trust the gauge any further than I could throw it! A fellow Club member had a mechanical oil pressure gauge in his '99 35th GT, and used the little capillary tubing that came with it. It came loose on the engine side, and sprayed over FOUR QUARTS of oil on the engine. He said the factory "gauge" never budged. How's that for peace of mind?

Member of Modern Mustangs of Tampa Bay

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DP-Jedi on 2001-07-03 13:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
835 Posts
My F250 with the Poweerstroke has a better Oil Pressure set up. The Powerstroke is real picky about oil pressure because of the two stage system. Maybe its unit can be made to operate on the Bullitt.

·
Registered
413 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-02 16:49, Mr.T wrote:
I have been told that if you use the Oil Pressure 'Sending Unit' from a '92 down 5.O, it will essentially make the guage a true guage. I have never tried it, seen it, or validated it. Change at your own risk......

Has anyone tried this yet?

·
Registered
444 Posts
On 2001-07-02 16:49, Mr.T wrote:

That's an good idea. My '90 5.0's gauges is always movimg. As a matter of fact all the gauges register something. I wish our cars were the same.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Manual says the SWITCH activates at 6psi or higher. However the instrument check shows the oil gauge receiving a signal between 0 and 176, with 176 being 0 or below 6 psi.
The only other thing in the manual I can find is where they make sure the gauge goes from 0 to 50 to 100 %.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Here's what the Saleen gauge pod looks like;

TWIN GAUGE POD BOOSTL/OIL ELECTRICAL
Product ID : 047-602
Category Interior

TWIN GAUGE POD BOOSTL/OIL ELECTRICAL
Price: $279.99

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
From the shop manual on CD-ROM. Also the schematic for the instrument cluster shows the oil pressure switch as simply connecting a ground to the input to the oil gauge at anything above 6 PSI.

Mid Life Crisis #388

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mid Life Crisis #388 on 2001-12-02 15:31 ]</font>

·
Registered
413 Posts
It doesn't sound like anyone has tried the '92 down 5.0 sender, depending on how much it costs, I may be the gunniea pig for it. I'll post what I come up with, when I do it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts