Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bullitt
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a strange one- my friend has a 2021 Mach 1. The oil fill cap on the engine says 5-30. Mine says 5-20. I wonder why the difference?

·
Premium Member
15,872 Posts
To be honest, don't have a clue. Same engine, right? Only things I can come up with is that maybe Ford thinks more Mach 1's will see track use, so they think the heavier oil would be the better choice? Or maybe the Mach 1 engines have slightly larger diameter oil passages?

Lot of Maybe here...

·
Registered
2020 Bullitt
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, don't have a clue. Same engine, right? Only things I can come up with is that maybe Ford thinks more Mach 1's will see track use, so they think the heavier oil would be the better choice? Or maybe the Mach 1 engines have slightly larger diameter oil passages?

Lot of Maybe here...
Maybe someone from Ford is watching this (ha ha). Both cars have oil coolers.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
They have recommended 5W30 for extreme applications like track time for the 5.0 for a while now. They apparently decided that it's appropriate for all driving styles now. It may be that the durability vs mileage trade-off has swung towards the durability side rather than mileage. My supercharged '18 actually calls for 5W50 because of all of the extra heat generated by the supercharger. I don't believe there's any major physical difference in the engines from one year to the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts