Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Oil Separator Install and MPG Increase!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  cobrafast1 
#1 ·
Installed my UPR oil separator one month and 626 miles ago. In that time my overall miles per gallon(as indicated on the in dash computer) has jumped from 19.5 to 20.5 mpg.

#2 ·
That's great news. I just put my separator on the other day and have put on about 150 miles. I thought I'd take a peek today and see if there was any oil in the cannister. To my amazement there was about 1/2 teaspoon of oil in there. That seems alot for 150 miles, but then again, my car is brand new. I have under 300 miles on the car since I picked it up. So maybe this is normal for a new engine.

But if this is normal, I'm glad I have the separator. I would not want that much oil being burned and carbon deposited on the piston tops and the valves and exhaust ports.

How much is everyone else experiencing when they check their cannister?

#4 · (Edited)
golkhl2094 said:
cobra:that 1/2 a teaspoon sounds about right. My car is about to turn 9,000 miles and I am seeing the same amount. I wish I would have done this mod when the car was new.
Thanks for the info.

In the other earlier thread on this subject, someone added a PCV valve to the line going from the valve cover to the separator. It seemed to slow down the amount of oil reaching the separator by only opening when there was enough vacuum pressure.

If nothing else a really weak activated valve might disrupt the flow enough to make the oil drain back to the valve cover, thereby reducing the amount that reaches the separator.

Just some thoughts for discussion.

#5 ·
Did you change your oil during that time? I found about 1mpg from that a couple of weeks ago...

#7 ·
I changed my oil at the same time I installed the UPR oil separator. I checked the can about 800 miles later. There was about 3/4's of an inch in the bottom. (appox. 2-3 oz.) That's alot. I have about 20,000 mi. on 4001 and I really wished I had learned about this maintenance mod earlier. I'm pretty fanatical about keeping track of my gas milage. Since new I averaged 22.5mpg between fill-ups. Now it's 23

#10 · (Edited)
I would highly recommend that all Bullitt owners install one of these oil separators on their engines. There are several manufacturers, but pick one a install it. It will definitely help keep the internal parts of the engine cleaner than not having one.

I installed the UPR Oil Separator and I'm 110% convinced that this is a must addition to reduce the carbon buildup on the engine pistons, valves, heads, and exhaust ports, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.