Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a Link to a ABC News video about old tires. We have bandied this subject around on the forum before. It is a good demonstration of what can and does happen to the buying public, including us...If you have those original Gatorbacks on your Bullitt or any tire over five years of age you need to get rid of them guys and gals.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

·
Registered
286 Posts
i dont really agree with that. as long as they havent been sitting in the sun and dry rotted there probly fine... the reason for most tire failure is because people dont check there tire pressure and its to low or overfilled or overloaded. they didnt mension the kid was probly speeding and it was close to 100 degrees out that day... he said they had the tires for a few years.... how worn down was the tread? it was probly a cheep-o tire to begin with anyway...not that what happened isnt sad buy 95% of the time it is driver neglect

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tires chemistry continues to process even after they are out of the tire machine. What they are really talking about is the chemical bond. Cracked sidewalls are only the visual representation of what happens to a tire when exposed to UV light. The chemistry continues to breakdown, and the bonding of the layers that was once resilent is no longer. Hence the tread separation.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
09 Black Sunshine said:
My truck tires are 9yrs old and I just bought them in April!
Yeah, that's an I gotcha.:cry:

Shame on them. Seriously.

·
Registered
175 Posts
David J. is correct, the curing process continues after the tires are removed from the ovens, gradually slowing over the life of the tire.
Getting new tires in the late fall will generaly last longer than getting them in late spring or early summer as the hot roads will increase the rate of cure when they are new.

Ex Michelin Man

·
Registered
241 Posts
Did you notice that "Warehouse of wrecks" in the video was all SUVs? I see people driving them like sports cars all the time. Too much speed, too much load and underinflation(for improved ride) are more plausible reasons for most failures.

·
Registered
286 Posts
gboger said:
Did you notice that "Warehouse of wrecks" in the video was all SUVs? I see people driving them like sports cars all the time. Too much speed, too much load and underinflation(for improved ride) are more plausible reasons for most failures.
yes sir

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I just went to the garage and checked 2729's tire date. 1801 was the number so the would be May of 01 which means the tires are a little over 7 years old. Hmmm, good excuse to get some new ones.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I had a set of Goodyears on my TVR that had less than 5000 miles, but were put on in 1986. It was like driving on a fork lift tire. They looked like new, so when I took them off, I used a hole saw to cut a 1/2" hole in the sidewall to make sure that they wouldn't be reused. I put them by the trash, with the holes circled in chalk and "NFG" printed on them. When I awoke the next morning they were gone...:badgrin:

·
Registered
922 Posts
gboger said:
That's probably the one of the main causes for SUV wrecks. Uneducated drivers thinking they can make their SUV move like a sports car. Add on the fact they don't take care of them with maintenance including tire pressure, and presto you have a totaled Explorer.

I checked the dates on all of our cars and we are ok for now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.