Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my Dealer to pick up the new bolts for the stock D/S that I will be putting back on due to bad vibration from my Shaftmaster D/S.While I was there I thought I would take a look at the two KRs that are on the dealers lot.Low and behold,,,they have the factory two peice D/S on them.I thougt there was a thread on here a few days back saying that Shelbys use Dynotech alum. D/S.They also had two Saleens on the lot,one with the stock,and the other with a one peice alum.on it.Well if the Shelby KR has the factory D/S on it.Then I don't feel so bad reinstalling mine.

Thanks,
Shane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
No I'm Not Giving You The Shaft....

Ford designed their S197 platform cars to be driven in a regular manner i.e. the street. They designed the two piece driveshaft to reduce NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness) inherent in their solid rear axle musclecar. Track junkies found out by switching to an aluminum one piece they lose alot of rotating mass. About 30 lbs. BTW. Stock OEM two piece weighs in at a beefy 48 lbs and a one piece about 16 or so.
This translates to an effective drop in 1/4 mi. times of up to two tenths!, as some have reported. While the two piece has been known to hold up to alot of 450 rwhp passes many guys just feel more secure running a one piece at high hp levels.
Now the downside. You may "feel" more NVH that the car may have hidden better with the stock two piece. Futher, you may encounter problems with vibration on a one piece if..
a) You've lowered your car and have rubbing issues. Most one piece shafts are 4' dia.
b) You bought a shaft that has not been balanced properly.
c) Your pinion angle may need adjustment.

Many have reported good results with Powerhouse, Spydershaft and Dynotech...
http://www.lethalperformance.com/05...tang-gt-3-5-900hp-aluminum-driveshaft-p-20877
For more reading if interested...
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/99476-aluminum-driveshaft-options.html
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/106354-driveshafts.html
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-talk/156432-one-piece-drive-shaft-2005-mustang-gt.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheelman,,,,This is my second D/S that Shaftmasters has sent me.I have not lowered my Bullitt so,maybe the pinion angle is off alittle,I have installed a pair of Steeda LCA before I installed the shaft.If I need to adjust the pinion angle,how hard is that to do?

Thanks,,,,Shane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
As I've said on many threads, I recommoned the 1-piece Leonards Racing spidershaft driveline for the S197, utilizes no adapters... so no chance of vibrations..............
I installed ours back in July of 2007



=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
suveo said:
Wheelman,,,,This is my second D/S that Shaftmasters has sent me.I have not lowered my Bullitt so,maybe the pinion angle is off alittle,I have installed a pair of Steeda LCA before I installed the shaft.If I need to adjust the pinion angle,how hard is that to do?

Thanks,,,,Shane
My advice is leave that adjustment to the pros who know the ends and out. I believe you'll need an adjustable upper control arm to even set the pinion angle. If you do here's how....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8FNgaNqS8s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
I see a lot of good things on the Leonard Spidershaft. It reads like it has a dampner built inside also seem's to be the lightest. Anyone here that owns one have a good report to give? (Ford fan)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
suveo said:
Would adjustable LCA work also Wheelman,I have nonadjustable on there now.
I'm only slightly familiar with adjusting the pinion angle on our cars with the procedure outlined in the video I sent you. That method sets the angle at about minus 1 for street use and a minus 3 for track use by adjusting the turnscrew on the upper link. I'm not aware of any other method for our cars but there may be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
Blindmelon said:
I see a lot of good things on the Leonard Spidershaft. It reads like it has a dampner built inside also seem's to be the lightest. Anyone here that owns one have a good report to give? (Ford fan)
The main reason I selected the Spydershaft is the S197 automatic's (the wife's Roush is an auto) are more prone to the 1-piece drive line vibration issue. But thru my research the Spydershaft was consistantly the only one that had 0 issues..

Yes, the install requires a little more labor, since no adapters are used in the installation, instead the Spydershaft requires changing out the rear pinion yoke. Maybe a little more work but the adapters seem to be more of the problem resulting in the vibration issue then the pinion angle.

The way I would discribe the first test drive was like the car had lost a couple of 100 lbs, it felt much more reponsive at the hit of the throttle.

The 1-piece driveline maybe an expensive mod but well worth the money IMO and the Spydershaft would be my choice again...


=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
FordFan said:
The main reason I selected the Spydershaft is the S197 automatic's (the wife's Roush is an auto) are more prone to the 1-piece drive line vibration issue. But thru my research the Spydershaft was consistantly the only one that had 0 issues....
You did your homework well my friend. The Spydershaft was designed specifically to meet the tough requirements of the S197's drivetrain, It has a proven history among the Mustang modding community and when I do go to a one piece it will be my choice as well.
Not that other companies haven't stepped up to the plate i.e. Dynotech & Powerhouse among others but read thru this discription and see why Spydershaft won't "shaft you".....:dhg08:
http://www.lethalperformance.com/05...-09-mustang-gt-4-aluminum-spydershaft-p-17526
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,924 Posts
I've been considering the switch to an aluminum shaft. Spydershaft seems to have a lot of support, and they supply driveshafts to Steeda. However, some people have had problems with vibration with the Spydershaft. I have read on the S197 forum where issues have arisen. I would like to go with the driveshaft, but I still have my concerns. Does the Dynotech unit that Breenspeed sells require the use of a pinion shaft adapter or does it include a new pinion flange like the Spydershaft/Steeda?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Lambo said:
I've been considering the switch to an aluminum shaft. Spydershaft seems to have a lot of support, and they supply driveshafts to Steeda. However, some people have had problems with vibration with the Spydershaft. I have read on the S197 forum where issues have arisen. I would like to go with the driveshaft, but I still have my concerns. Does the Dynotech unit that Breenspeed sells require the use of a pinion shaft adapter or does it include a new pinion flange like the Spydershaft/Steeda?
The Dynotech is a direct replacement for the stocker. Supposedly you just take off the OEM shaft and bolt it right in. Terry has it, maybe he'll chime in.
BTW, if it's not too much of a PITA I'd really appreciate a link to where you read the Spydershaft was having NVH issues. I've read dozens of threads on aftermarket driveshaft woes and except for a few guys who really lowered their cars with no pinion angle adjusting, I've never read one single comment in any way negative about Spydershaft. Thanks Mike
 

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
·
39,282 Posts
suveo said:
Just got back from my Dealer to pick up the new bolts for the stock D/S that I will be putting back on due to bad vibration from my Shaftmaster D/S.While I was there I thought I would take a look at the two KRs that are on the dealers lot.Low and behold,,,they have the factory two peice D/S on them.I thougt there was a thread on here a few days back saying that Shelbys use Dynotech alum. D/S.They also had two Saleens on the lot,one with the stock,and the other with a one peice alum.on it.Well if the Shelby KR has the factory D/S on it.Then I don't feel so bad reinstalling mine.

Thanks,
Shane
I don't know the details, but someone was telling me something about how the one-piece shaft can be a bad thing for stress, strain and breakage of components. Maybe that's why Shelby wisely went with the 2-piece shaft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
My guess would be Shelby didn't want to be liable just as Ford didn't if the one piece punctures the gas tank in a wreck or dents the floor and injures an occupant. IF that safety liability is the main reason Ford didn't use a 1 piece then I am seriously considering going with one, but the vibration issues seem to run rampant with every brand. I am curious if they balance them in any way, to me you need to install it on the car then figure out how it needs to be balanced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
StvMcQueen said:
I don't know the details, but someone was telling me something about how the one-piece shaft can be a bad thing for stress, strain and breakage of components. Maybe that's why Shelby wisely went with the 2-piece shaft.
That's why we all read these post BEFORE we invest our hard earned dollars in mods.
I would be a real super a-hole to post bad info for my fellow brother car guys to swallow and I'm confident everyone here at IMBOC shares my view. No, I'm not accusing you of any wrong doing, just defending my position. Now as far as one piece shafts go here is what I do know.
I recently visited Justin Burcham at JPC racing. Now for you guys that don't read Muscle Mustang & Fast Ford magazine he is all over those pages with mods he makes exclusively for S197 mustangs. In fact he was the 2005 holder of the World's Fastest Mustang trophy. When I was speaking to him about a blower for my car the one thing he wanted me to get besides the supercharger was a one piece driveshaft. Why Shelby went with a two piece....I guess you'd have to ask him. But if Justin Burcham thinks it advisable.....that's plenty good enough for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Lambo said:
This is the thread related to problems with the Spydershaft. The car has other mods, but he is having issues.
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13283
First, thank you for taking the time to dig out this thread for me. I know myself after posting something I remember reading somebody wants to see it and I spend a half hour back tracking...so a big thanks. Now for my take...
I read the whole thread. "Narsh" who's thread this is, is complaining about vibration from the Spydershaft he recently installed. However, he clearly states in his opening post that this is a used shaft from a buddy's car and although his buddy has pretty much the same mods, he experienced NO vibration problems when the Spydershaft was originally installed in his car. Now that tells me the shaft is not the problem to begin with or else it would have vibrated in the first car, which apparently it did not. Further on page two of this thread there are eight gentleman that are reporting no vibration issues what's so ever as in the case of "don w" who states after three years his one piece is fine. I assume all of these guys are responding to the subject of the thread which is a Spydershaft with the exception of "racevert" who does state his is a Powerhouse. (which BTW is another excellent D.S.)
There are however those on page one that have experienced many troubles getting their shafts to perform but the cure seems to be back to what I stated earlier in this thread when you lower your car you often need to adjust the pinion angle, as by doing so you've altered your cars geometry. Some needed to have their shaft balanced as well which I also mentioned earlier.
So the bottom line is this as I see it. With ANY mod you may make you are altering the basic engineered design and function of your car. In other words you take your chances. I believe "Narsh" has some other problems associated with his NVH issues that are in "his" car and now exasperated by the Spydershaft that weren't a problem in his buddy's car with the same Spydershaft and no NVH problems.
Does anyone NEED an aftermarket driveshaft? No. Just like you don't NEED stickier tires, a tune, blower or any other performance mod. But if you want to squeeze all the performance out of your 'Stang that you can then I say, yeah it's a good desirable mod.
Here's a link to hardcore mustang modders that praise the Spydershaft....
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/99476-aluminum-driveshaft-options.html

Now I need an aspirin and a doughnut.:rolleyes:
 

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
·
39,282 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top