Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I joined IMBOC recently after lurking here for about 4 months while trying to decide whether or not to buy one. As soon as I bought the car, I knew I had to sign up. This looks like a great community and I hope I can add to the discussions as time goes by. Thanks for having me here.
Let me start by saying that I am not "a Ford guy". I have never owned one until now, having owned Z28s, Formula Firebirds, an old P.O.S. GTO, and the car I sold to get the Bullitt, a C5 Corvette. When I saw the 08 Bullitt when it came out last winter, I stopped and had a look and I was hooked. I loved the low key looks, the performance goodies, the great seats, the fact it has NO spoiler, no fogs, and just had a classic, timeless look that I really liked.
Thus began 8 months of window shopping, online searches,magazine reading,laying awake in bed thinking about it, basically going back and forth about this car. I was going to wait until the '10 Camaro SS came out, but talked myself out of that, figuring a $35K sticker with another $10K in dealer markup put it well out of my price range. Ditto with the Challenger. So when Ford announced $4500 incentives on 08 Mustang GT Premium models in my area on Oct 1, I stopped by the dealership. Three days and lots of haggling over trade in of my Vette, I brought #3649 home for a heck of a deal.

After one week, all I can say is : WHAT AN AWESOME CAR!! I am having a blast driving it and I keep going out to the garage to sit in it just to fiddle with something or look under the hood (again). The suspension is much more compliant than my Vette, and it still handles like a dream. I love the sound, its worth the price just to hear it as you shift through the gears. I can't wait to get 1000 miles on it and change the oil so I can go past my self imposed 5000 rpm limit and no full throttle blasts so I can get the full picture. The shifter is really sweet, the ambient lighting and My Color delights my kids (ok I think its cool too.)and I got 25 mpg on a 200 mile trip last week!

It needs to be gone over with a clay bar as I think it sat for 6 months on the dealers lot. The paint feels like sandpaper on the top surfaces, and a coat of Meguires on the hood didn't help much. I have several weekends of detailing ahead of me, but it will be perfect as I can get it when I am done. I think I'm going to keep this one a while.

So thats about it, sorry if I rambled on too long, but I wanted to share with everyone how totally geeked I am to have this car. I will sign up as a supporting member asap. I need a decal for the back window!:wink:

Tom

·
Registered
969 Posts
tom, thanks for leaving your bow tie at the door, and glad you decided to join the party. funny how a car can make a person so giddy, huh? glad to have your enthusiasm around. good choice on the clay bar action. such a fun process. welcome aboard, brother. and week 21 is as much fun as week 1. here's to tom, cheers!!!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
NoCal Tom said:
Hello everyone, I joined IMBOC recently after lurking here for about 4 months while trying to decide whether or not to buy one. As soon as I bought the car, I knew I had to sign up. This looks like a great community and I hope I can add to the discussions as time goes by. Thanks for having me here.
Let me start by saying that I am not "a Ford guy". I have never owned one until now, having owned Z28s, Formula Firebirds, an old P.O.S. GTO, and the car I sold to get the Bullitt, a C5 Corvette. When I saw the 08 Bullitt when it came out last winter, I stopped and had a look and I was hooked. I loved the low key looks, the performance goodies, the great seats, the fact it has NO spoiler, no fogs, and just had a classic, timeless look that I really liked.
Thus began 8 months of window shopping, online searches,magazine reading,laying awake in bed thinking about it, basically going back and forth about this car. I was going to wait until the '10 Camaro SS came out, but talked myself out of that, figuring a $35K sticker with another $10K in dealer markup put it well out of my price range. Ditto with the Challenger. So when Ford announced $4500 incentives on 08 Mustang GT Premium models in my area on Oct 1, I stopped by the dealership. Three days and lots of haggling over trade in of my Vette, I brought #3649 home for a heck of a deal.

After one week, all I can say is : WHAT AN AWESOME CAR!! I am having a blast driving it and I keep going out to the garage to sit in it just to fiddle with something or look under the hood (again). The suspension is much more compliant than my Vette, and it still handles like a dream. I love the sound, its worth the price just to hear it as you shift through the gears. I can't wait to get 1000 miles on it and change the oil so I can go past my self imposed 5000 rpm limit and no full throttle blasts so I can get the full picture. The shifter is really sweet, the ambient lighting and My Color delights my kids (ok I think its cool too.)and I got 25 mpg on a 200 mile trip last week!

It needs to be gone over with a clay bar as I think it sat for 6 months on the dealers lot. The paint feels like sandpaper on the top surfaces, and a coat of Meguires on the hood didn't help much. I have several weekends of detailing ahead of me, but it will be perfect as I can get it when I am done. I think I'm going to keep this one a while.

So thats about it, sorry if I rambled on too long, but I wanted to share with everyone how totally geeked I am to have this car. I will sign up as a supporting member asap. I need a decal for the back window!:wink:

Tom
You sound just like the rest of us! Below is a post from a while back which generalizes the feelings we all have for our Bullitts:

chip721 said:
I’ve been driving my Bullitt since December 22nd, 2007. For what it’s worth, here are some general observations from a month behind the wheel.

I grew up driving muscle cars and bought my first new Mustang, V8, 302 in 1973. Before buying my Bullitt, I honestly had my eye on a 67 Pontiac GTO. But somebody beat me to it and I’m glad they did. The engineering, safety, and overall improvements between old and new vehicles are almost beyond comparison.

Acquisition: I saw # 313 parked in front of a local dealership. I approached the car from the front and intentionally drove past it; checking color, no badges or emblems, and no rear spoiler. Turned around, pulled in behind it, and “bingo” - the Bullitt logo on the fake gas cap. Went home, asked the wife if she’d come take a look at a car with me. She saw it, liked it, and wanted me to have it. She said I “deserved” it. I didn’t argue. 4 hours later it was sitting in my driveway.

Exterior: There are lots of really nice exterior accessory packages for the Mustang GT. But the clean, almost stealth-like appearance of the Bullitt appeals to me. I have the DHG. And as the sun goes down, it takes on almost a black look.

Interior: I find the front seating area roomy and VERY comfortable. You’re not in the “cheap-seats” in the ’08 Bullitt. I’m not real tall, but think it has ample leg and head- room. Mine has satellite radio and CD changer. But the high tech feature I like most is the simple line-in jack. Finally I can plug my Ipod directly into the car sound system. The back seat area is ok. But this isn’t my family car and I have no intention of ever riding back there. The last time the backseat of a Mustang mattered to me, I was a teenager in high school and …well that’s another story:wink: .

Power/Acceleration/Handling: According to my children, I’m an “OG” (Old Guy). I have no plans to race, modify, or even smoke the Bullitt’s tires (well maybe accidentally). This car’s power is enough for me. As soon as you start the engine it announces itself – with attitude that turns heads. Once you release the clutch, it comes off the line quickly. I read in a previous thread where someone raised an issue with shifting into 3rd gear. When the car is cold, I also notice some resistance going into 3rd. Once the transmission is warmed up, it’s smooth as butter. Mechanically I don’t understand it, but I don’t force it. The car handles great. Simply put – it goes where you point it.

Trunk space: Limited. But I was surprised to discover the spare tire got replaced with a tire inflation kit. I don’t like changing tires. But I like it even less, not having one.

Gas mileage: I knew what I was getting when I bought it. Can use regular gasoline. I’ve only run premium.

This car makes me heart thumping, blood pumping, lip smiling happy. At my age not much does that any more. In my opinion, the ’08 Bullitt is a winner. Good job Ford.
Anyway, glad you're having a blast with your Bullitt! :smile:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Great write up Tom!Glad to see some of the bow tie guys join the forum.I to once own a Z28 and this car by far puts that to shame.Not that I disliked like the camaro but the looks and feel of the Bullitt makes one hell of a sweet package.I hope you enjoy your Bullitt as much as I do.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glad your enjoying it. I agree with the clay bar. I completely re-detailed my car after I bought it. It "looked" good but the clay bar was black after a few passes. This would especially be true if your car sat on the lot for awhile.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Tom - I am new here too and my story is similar. I was going to wait on the new Camaro - always wanted a 69 Z28. Saw the Bullitt at the dealership and thought "eh". But the more I looked I knew it was for me. Low key, understated, classic. It goes fast enough. And what a great feeling when someone sees the car and "gets it" - most people don't have a clue what it is, but when you run into someone who does, well, it makes you proud - like someone complimenting you on your kids. PS - my kids won't leave the ambient lighting button alone - I am partial to the dk. blue with red 2nd - they keep switching to the orange. Oh well, as long as they are having fun. And this forum is the best of it's kind or any kind that I have been a part of. It's the only one that I have ever paid money to. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
BULLITTS.........

Hey, I agree..........I was a Bowtie guy for a long time after a few Fords and Mercurys. The Bullitt for me at age 62 is part of the past with a lot of the future. It is a great car, with a history.
Enjoy that green machine!

ARMY TC
HG 5573

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Welcome aboard Tom...

Your post pretty much sums it up for all of us..One suggestion I would offer. We had quite an issue with our Bullitt when we got it, with the paint surface due to sitting on the lot for an extended period. I am guessing it was built in January, and we bought in July. Anyway, talk to your service department about the paint surface, and throw in the term "environmental fallout" in your conversation. Chances are you will find yourself on the receiving end of a nice claybar and wax compliments of the dealer...My dealer eventually ended up having to color sand the entire top surface of our car.....
Where abouts in Sacramento are you? My corporate office is in West Sac...

Again, welcome aboard, and enjoy...

Mike and Karen

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I went back through a few pages of posts last night and read several accounts of Corvette guys trading for a Bullitt, I thought that was cool and I'm not the only one who did this. Having a back seat has ended all the arguments about who gets to ride with dad between my 9 and 6 yr old sons, plus with 4 seats, even my wife can come along now! I loved my Vette and it was a lifelong dream to own one, but I checked it off the list and moved on.

Got Oatz, thanks for the suggestion about calling the dealer. I am aprehensive about giving them the car to "fix" the paint issue, but I'll see what they say. I'm in Roseville, btw.

Off to go for a drive, its 65 and sunny and I hear the call of the road...:cool:

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Welcome-Also "TOM" : Sounds like you caught the BULLITT- BUG alright. I live east of SAC., but travel thru Roseville often to visit my Son. I havn't seen many BULLITTs on the road, but if I see 08' HG 3649 or others I'll give you a big thumbs-up!
P.S. I also had A Corvette, but years ago I moved on to other cars not to many FORDs but I'm into the BULLITT now odviously plus some other fun/collectable cars.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
40,829 Posts
NoCal Tom said:

Tom
Glad you like your Bullitt, but...
YOU'RE PREACHING TO THE CHOIR!:lol:

(Seriously, welcome to IMBOC and enjoy that sweet ride!)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome aboard, Tom! I'm a "Recovering Corvette" prior owner as well (89 convertible). I've only had my Bullitt a couple of months, but we're having a great time and this forum is loaded with help and great advice. Have fun and congratulations.

·
Registered
100 Posts
the 08 Bullitt is an incredible bang for the buck. Ford nailed the power plant and the exhaust system. Its awesome. I'm actually blown away Ford would produce such an aggressive exhaust system on a production car. Its a unique sounds that will only grow with time. My kids love the goofy light tricks too, they keep changing the color on me!!! This car is really a modern day muscle car, low key for us old farts that just want to blend in when we take it in to the office parking lot, but, cool enough and loud enough that when we raise the RPMs and drop the clutch, she comes alive. I really do like the austere look, but, man...that exhaust tone when spooling through the gears is like no other. This motor set up is a real combo and has plenty of power. The 1-2 shift is pure heaven once the wheels break loose.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome, I've owned my Bullitt #5106 about 6 weeks now and man I love that car. It's not a daily driver so when I do get a chance to go through the gears it's always a pleasure! I do get to see it every day though when I drive my daily driver (Civic) in and out of the garage, but this car is not like all the other cars I've had, and I've had many. The heavy classic influence along with all the modern amenities are just down right irresistible and always trigger the pleasure senses with a touch of adrenaline. I passed a Mustang V-6 the other day on the freeway and the guy driving it did a double take, like "what the heck was that"!
I had one goofy old hippy up in Taos, NM come up to me at a stop light one day and say "hey, this mustang doesn't have a horse in the front man, what is it?" I asked him if he remembered the movie Bullitt, and his face lit right up "Ohhhhh, I get it! It does look just like it"! It's always fun, the mystisism of the Bullitt sublety and attitude. :bigguns:

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
NM-Bullitt-5106 said:
Welcome, I've owned my Bullitt #5106 about 6 weeks now and man I love that car. It's not a daily driver so when I do get a chance to go through the gears it's always a pleasure! I do get to see it every day though when I drive my daily driver (Civic) in and out of the garage, but this car is not like all the other cars I've had, and I've had many. The heavy classic influence along with all the modern amenities are just down right irresistible and always trigger the pleasure senses with a touch of adrenaline. I passed a Mustang V-6 the other day on the freeway and the guy driving it did a double take, like "what the heck was that"!
I had one goofy old hippy up in Taos, NM come up to me at a stop light one day and say "hey, this mustang doesn't have a horse in the front man, what is it?" I asked him if he remembered the movie Bullitt, and his face lit right up "Ohhhhh, I get it! It does look just like it"! It's always fun, the mystisism of the Bullitt sublety and attitude. :bigguns:

Matt, driving that Bullitt around, they're gonna start thinkin' you're one of the many celebrities who are crowding out the natives up in the Taos vicinity!:lol:

Yeah, ya gotta love the 'old hippies' still living up there. FREEZE DRIED, man... :D

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I have had my Bullitt for 9 months now, and I love it even more now. If I win that 2010 Mustang I am either going to keep it or sell it- the Bullitt stays no matter what.

·
Premium Member
18,865 Posts
Congratulations regarding your new Bullitt, Tom.

Good to see another recovering Corvette owner!

I also sold my C5 (1999 Torch Red Hardtop pictured below) for the 2001 Bullitt.

Welcome to IMBOC!

:py2:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Congrats on the new addition to the garage, sounds like you are enjoying it already. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.