Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Did you notice how the left front dipped down before it all went wrong? Brake lights weren't on then so he wasn't on the brakes. Maybe he blew out the left front tire.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
If you stop the video while the car is sideways, it appears that both front tires are up. It does appear that something broke causing the spin. Curious minds want to know.

edit: I watched closer and it does appear the LF was flat just as the spin started. The side view still looks like it is up but I think the view is deceptive.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
not to mention that the LF wheel is laying on the tarmac beside the car after it hit the wall - seemed to come off fairly easily.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just read through a friend of a friend that the kid was driving his dad's Bullitt and shifted 1-2, then 2-1 and couldn't recover. No mechanical failure, pure operator error.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Looks like the LF blew and he overcorrected to the right and locked the brakes. Looks like he tried to turn into the slide with the brakes locked. Can anybody see if the wall was broken before impact?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Barnaby said:
I just read through a friend of a friend that the kid was driving his dad's Bullitt and shifted 1-2, then 2-1 and couldn't recover. No mechanical failure, pure operator error.
That sounds reasonable for the actions of the car. I didn't think of that possibility.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could be, there are a few new Bullitts here in Albuquerque so it may be another one too...I dunno???

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
After watching the clip and stopping and starting the action several times, the left front tire sidewall begins to roll over and there's what appears to be a small puff of smoke beside the tire. He really hit hard on the driver's side, so its not too surprising the suspension collapsed.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It looked like either the left front tire/suspension failed or some sort of suspension failure in the right rear. As the front left dips, the right rear lifts pretty high. Wouldn't it be hard to make a 2-1 shift at that speed/rpm? I mean as far as physically being able to get the shifter into 1? I hope we can find out for certain what happened just for the sake of being aware any issues.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
this is why you souldn't let your kids drive your car....... I got my son his own car. if he takes it racing and kisses the wall it is his car.
But seriously cars are replaceable our kids aren't. at least he was at the track and not on the streets..... there is some good parenting there.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The driver probably got banged up a bit the way the car was thrown around. Probably some whiplash would be likely. Noticed he hadn't exited the car by the end of the clip, although the driver's door was probably wedged shut from the impact.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Thats whyI got my son a wussy 4 cyl auto Fox body.

can't get out of it's own way - just eats money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.