Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah, I was sure I was done with the mods, but I've been rolling this idea around in my head for a while now, and I'm considering trying it. Wanted to run it by you guys for opinions.

I don't like most of the chrome taillight accents I've seen. They usually look tacky to me. But, I do like the look of the chrome trim around the tail area of the Saleen PJ, and I've been toying with the idea of doing something similar.

The thing is I want to stay true to the spirit, at least, of McQueen's ride, and he did have chrome trim around the tail that could have been easily removed, like much of the other trim, if that's what they wanted. So, as far as that goes, I think I'm fine. But, I kinda like the look of the blackout panel along with the chrome. Now I'm starting to stray from my "budget Bulllitt" vision a bit.

Here are some pics I photo-chopped to give you an idea of what the result might look like. Click for larger pics.

I think I could put this together for pretty cheap, like $50-$60 with blackout panel, $20-$25 without. Which fits well within my budget mod parameters. Should be minimally invasive also, may not require adhesive even.

Anyway, does this seem like it would be worth trying, or does it look awful?

·
Registered
72 Posts
i think it looks great as i don't like any of the chrome that are on the cars. i've even been thinking of blackening the unpainted areas that are on the wheels of my car. a bullitt that is all blacked out would look very impressive whether it is highland green or black.

ed

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am not real big on the chrome either. I am partial to the black out panels, so my opinion would be "B" if you are to do it.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
It's not a bad looking mod. Kind of '60s inspired. I think it looks best with the black out tail light panel. Unfortunately I could never bring myself to paint my Bullitt or even glue on the trim. I'd leave mine stock.

Dave

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Very subtle I think it looks good.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This might give you a good starting point for a search.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Personally, one of the things I love about Bullitt's is the distinct lack of chrome on the body. The trim ring around the grill is enough for me...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I'm not fond of chrome on a Bullitt. I think it makes it look like a regular Mustang. I like the plain full sleekness of an unaccented Mustang.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, you guys might be right. The Bullitt style is all about "less is more".

I guess I'm just trying to overcompensate. I'm a bit paranoid about coming across like I'm trying to fool somebody into thinking I drive a production Bullitt, which certainly isn't my intention. I might just be looking for a way I can stand out without straying from the Bullitt stylebook.

You guys have been cool so far about my V6, but Lately I've been tempted to look for some cruise night's around here, and even if I'm just showing up as a spectator, I don't want to come across as a poser.

Hell, I'm even worried because I recently became a supporting member and I'm not sure what to do with the sticker when it arrives. Am I crossing a line if I put it on the back window or something? Is that badging my car?

Well, I'm pretty new to automotive culture, at least as an active participant, and I'm trying to learn the rules, and at my age, I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Man, I think too much don't I? Or maybe this should be a separate thread?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
digitalcos said:
I'm a bit paranoid about coming across like I'm trying to fool somebody into thinking I drive a production Bullitt, which certainly isn't my intention.
I doubt anyone here thinks you're trying to pass-off your 'Stang as a "real Bullitt", or even a clone. You've got an appreciation for the understated looks of the Bullitt, and there's nothing wrong with that. I also doubt anyone here would utter a word if you painted your 'Stang Highland Green, either (other than "Nice Colour choice!").

Even if you DID decide to make a "Bullitt clone" - so what? Lots of guys are doing that with '67/'68 Fastbacks - none of them are trying to pass it off as the actual movie-car, and so long as you didn't try to pass yours off as a "Real Bullitt" I see Zero conflict.

It's your car - do as you like. I kinda like the small bit of chrome-surround on that colour, if the photo-chop is anything like it'd be for real. I'm a bit torn between the blackout and body-colour trunk, though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've always been a sucker for the blacked out trunk on 197's, I don't think the chrome is off base either.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I really like "B"!!! IMHO it does make the 197's look a bit more like the early versions.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I will go with option B. I don't think option A looks correct. The chrome seems to get lost with the shiney back panel but with the flat black panel, the chrome really shows up and looks good.

I suggest going all the way with option B or not doing anything.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
digitalcos said:
This might give you a good starting point for a search.
As I am looking to replicate the 68 as closely as possible, I think the rear deck trim ring, along with the MRT retro hood and a mesh grill will finish the look for me. I have contacted Saleen and will let you know what they say.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Here's the reply for availability of chrome ring:

Gregg,

It is available. The rear chrome package comes out to $240.96 + Shipping

If you wish to order this item, feel free to contact us at (800)888-8945, Option 2.

Thank You,

View attachment saleen.bmp

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Put that sticker on your window and display it proudly.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Loop said:
Here's the reply for availability of chrome ring:

Gregg,

It is available. The rear chrome package comes out to $240.96 + Shipping

If you wish to order this item, feel free to contact us at (800)888-8945, Option 2.

Thank You,

View attachment 13018
I'm with you Gregg, I love the look of the '68 and getting my S197 as close to it as possible to retro is my goal.

Does the Saleen chrome ring fit around our S197 taillight assembly? Or is it specifically for the Saleen S281 rear fascia? (They look different.) Also, do you know if the sheen of the chrome matches the chrome on our front grill? Or looks close to the rear fake gas cap?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
makemann said:
I'm with you Gregg, I love the look of the '68 and getting my S197 as close to it as possible to retro is my goal.

Does the Saleen chrome ring fit around our S197 taillight assembly? Or is it specifically for the Saleen S281 rear fascia? (They look different.) Also, do you know if the sheen of the chrome matches the chrome on our front grill? Or looks close to the rear fake gas cap?

See the pics in my post #7

The Saleen rear end is a standard S197. There is a Saleen rear deck panel but it fits within the standard S197 deck lid. The chrome piece you see in the picture surrounds the rear deck as shown in the pic. Next to the PJ Saleen is a pic of the original 68.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts