Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my son is 12 and wants my 01 bullitt as his first car. Well I don't have a problem with that but.....I can't give him a death wish with the way it is set up now.So my thoughts are pull the blower and nitrous off. Than take those pieces along with some stage 3 cams and install on 08 bullitt. Of course I would than do suspension work,exhaust and rear end work. I already have slicks and skinnies and see if I can hit mid 10's. What you think guys????

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Why not just wait until he is a little older and then get a low mileage '01 for cheap. You can still get an 08 in the meantime and have to super fast Bullitts.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Teach him to drive responsibly and give him the 01 as is. In the meantime, get the 08 and spend a lot of money making it faster. Then you both can race side by side. What a thought, Father and Son racing each other for bragging rights!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't just GIVE it to him. I had to pay for all my vehicles. I watched kids in high school with similar situations. None of their cars are still in one piece. I'm a firm believer in the fact that kids rarely ever care about a car if it is just given to him/her. If he wants it, I'd make him work it off or pay for a chunk of it. That's just me though. If I had a car with that setup at 16, I would have killed myself! lol. You have time to think about it, but I don't think I've EVER see a car given to a kid survive his/her high school years.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I called JMS who does my set up stuff and asked them what they thought of my idea. Boy did I get shot down. Basically stated that they are not real impressed w/the 3valve motors. Said that the rods are real weak and they are having trouble getting them to hold together over 400rwhp.Stated that to make it live to replace rods and pistons before modding over 400rwhp. Also stated that they also having troubles with plugs on the 3 valves doing hipo stuff. They said I would be better off starting off with a GT500. They are getting 750 rwhp with their $8000 Kenne Bell package. Oh well looks like lil Jack might be getting a low mileage used Bullitt when it is time. And don't worry he will be working to pay for his gas and insurance.

·
Administrator
6,221 Posts
I think you will have to do some research before moving the parts from your '01 over to an '08. There might be some compatibility issues to overcome. The blocks are different materials (iron vs. aluminum), the valvetrains are different (2-valve vs. 3-valve), and there is cam phasing on the '08 engine.

If it were me, I strip parts off the '01, sell them, and then buy new parts for an '08.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
DOUBLE J said:
Well I called JMS who does my set up stuff and asked them what they thought of my idea. Boy did I get shot down. Basically stated that they are not real impressed w/the 3valve motors. Said that the rods are real weak and they are having trouble getting them to hold together over 400rwhp.Stated that to make it live to replace rods and pistons before modding over 400rwhp. Also stated that they also having troubles with plugs on the 3 valves doing hipo stuff. They said I would be better off starting off with a GT500. They are getting 750 rwhp with their $8000 Kenne Bell package. Oh well looks like lil Jack might be getting a low mileage used Bullitt when it is time. And don't worry he will be working to pay for his gas and insurance.
IMO the JMS advice you got is correct. Look at how Ford did the terminator motor before they sold it to the public as a supercharged car. All forged internals from the factory. I understand the current 3-V motor (at least the base engine) isn't this strong from the factory. This is one of the reasons I have such issues with the 2008 being offered with the 281 3-V with base internals only.

If Ford won't sell their supercharged 281 in production without making you pay for forged internals from the factory then it may not be a good idea to go with less in any engine you plan to modify the same, but that is just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
wally05 said:
Personally, I wouldn't just GIVE it to him. I had to pay for all my vehicles. I watched kids in high school with similar situations. None of their cars are still in one piece. I'm a firm believer in the fact that kids rarely ever care about a car if it is just given to him/her. If he wants it, I'd make him work it off or pay for a chunk of it. That's just me though. If I had a car with that setup at 16, I would have killed myself! lol. You have time to think about it, but I don't think I've EVER see a car given to a kid survive his/her high school years.
Get him a beater. There are a lot more things for kids to do to a car nowdays than when you or even I were younger. If his first car is a beater, if he takes care of it, then after two years let him buy the Bullitt as is. Just a thought.:exclaim:

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Well, if money is no object...you could always buy an '08 Bullitt and a GT500 crate motor and drop it in. That would be a good starting point!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Go to guys at Brenspeed and other companies that are dedicated to the S197 cars... I haven't heard that the 3v engines are that weak at all. In fact, in the past year I've been on allfordmustangs.com everyday and all I've heard about is the success about how easily and reliably modding these engines up to beyond 400 hp have been. I would change out the crappy driveshaft. I think once you get beyond 450hp, you NEED to reinforce the bottom end. Email www.brenspeed.com about it. These guys are incredible.

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
wally05 said:
Go to guys at Brenspeed and other companies that are dedicated to the S197 cars... I haven't heard that the 3v engines are that weak at all. In fact, in the past year I've been on allfordmustangs.com everyday and all I've heard about is the success about how easily and reliably modding these engines up to beyond 400 hp have been. I would change out the crappy driveshaft. I think once you get beyond 450hp, you NEED to reinforce the bottom end. Email www.brenspeed.com about it. These guys are incredible.
Better take a good look at Double J's sig. 450hp might not be what he's thinking. LOL.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
in 4 or 5 years gas will be 5 bucks a gallon..your son wont be able to aford the gas

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Although I have no children most of my friends have. Many discussions about their children and cars, I always say do you remember when you were 16 and how you drove. I remember being 16 and driving. Miracles do happen

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
TXBLUOVAL said:
IMO the JMS advice you got is correct. Look at how Ford did the terminator motor before they sold it to the public as a supercharged car. All forged internals from the factory. I understand the current 3-V motor (at least the base engine) isn't this strong from the factory. This is one of the reasons I have such issues with the 2008 being offered with the 281 3-V with base internals only.

If Ford won't sell their supercharged 281 in production without making you pay for forged internals from the factory then it may not be a good idea to go with less in any engine you plan to modify the same, but that is just my opinion.
The Marauder engine although a 4v not 3v does not use hardened internals and they have been supercharged on stock internals well over 400hp

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
DOUBLE J said:

Did you remind JMS that you have a stock long block on your 01 Bullitt and 543 rwhp?? Supposedly these 2Vs are only good for 400hp right? :lol:

Were not sure how you have been able to keep it together. Who knows maybe a 3V done well could get to the same levels and beyond. Or you can build it up right and shoot for the moon. It would be great to have an 01 and an 08 father / son combo breaking into the 10s on the same run!!

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
PSD_BULLITT said:
Did you remind JMS that you have a stock long block on your 01 Bullitt and 543 rwhp?? Supposedly these 2Vs are only good for 400hp right? :lol:

Were not sure how you have been able to keep it together. Who knows maybe a 3V done well could get to the same levels and beyond. Or you can build it up right and shoot for the moon. It would be great to have an 01 and an 08 father / son combo breaking into the 10s on the same run!!
JMS has done all the work on John's Bullitt. I'm sure that they are aware. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts