Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The previous owner installed a Hurst Billet Plus SST in #4026. I like the positive shifts and the narrow gate, but the ultra short stick feels like a Miata to me. However, he put the short stick that the shifter came on it and the factory Billet knob. I decided to change the shifter stick and the knob to an old school look, to make a more fitting tribute to the Mean Green Steve McQueen Machine. It was a hard decision. I narrowed it down to two and almost went with this look:

However, I just couldn't bring myself to putting in such a tall shifter. Plus, something about that double curve just doesn't look right to me. Anyway, the stick I ordered was the swept back design and should look like the following picture (Without the silver painted console):

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have that shifter stalk...

Love it! But instead of the white ball, I went with a Hurst T-Handle.

Been in almost a year now. Sitting on top of a Pro5.0 shifter... Wouldn't trade them for nuthin! :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
So, you used the Hurst stick w/ the Pro 5.0 shifter? Did it require any crazy mods...or did it fit up pretty good w/ no fabrication?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arrrrrrrrrgh!!

:mad: Jegs sent me the wrong shifter ball! It was in the package with the right part number, but the ball was a 4 speed pattern. I called Jegs to verify the part no. and they said I had ordered the right part, but someone had put the wrong shifter ball in the package. Anyway, the new one should arrive today ... I can't wait to install it! :tongue:

BTW - Jegs has been great to work with. I have had better experiences with them than Summit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've always had a thing for Hurst shifters, and I must say, both of those look great!

I know most people who use the Hurst stalk have aftermarket shifters, but does anyone know if it would bolt up to a factory shifter? I just bought my Bullitt and I'm rather short on cash. I don't mind the shifting mechanism as it is, but I do long for that look, and a T handle of course.

edit: On a side note, that silver console doesn't look half bad!

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure that the Hurst lever will bolt up to the factory shifter. It costs about $52 from Jegs (unless you get the aluminum handle which is about $68).

Mine is all hooked up. I'm still getting used to the taller geometry of the shifter. I like how smooth it makes the shifts. They are precise enough to allow quick shifts but smooth enough not to feel notchy. It really gives it a 60's musclecar feel, which I like. It you prefer more of a Fox body 5.0 type shifter feel, then don't go with the Hurst.

·
Registered
771 Posts
dhg1848 said:
So, you used the Hurst stick w/ the Pro 5.0 shifter? Did it require any crazy mods...or did it fit up pretty good w/ no fabrication?
The P/N of the stick: 538-0015.

It bolts effortlessly to the Pro5.0. The bolt holes line up. The only thing I found weird is that the handle's mounting face is designed for a shifter that has a jagged face (like this /\/\/\/\/\). But, I've had mine in the car for a year now, and it's never given me any issues. The shifter stick is actually listed as a "replacement part" for a shifter going in a 74 Vega.

Positioning is nice too. You can use 2nd and 4th and have a drink in the front cup holder. It barely clears a 20oz Pepsi bottle.

Something I learned from the past... I installed the bolts into the handle as tight as I could and put a little bit of BLUE Lok-tite on the bolts. Keeps it tight when you are slammin the gears... heh heh.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Professor Bullitt said:
I'm pretty sure that the Hurst lever will bolt up to the factory shifter. It costs about $52 from Jegs (unless you get the aluminum handle which is about $68).

Mine is all hooked up. I'm still getting used to the taller geometry of the shifter. I like how smooth it makes the shifts. They are precise enough to allow quick shifts but smooth enough not to feel notchy. It really gives it a 60's musclecar feel, which I like. It you prefer more of a Fox body 5.0 type shifter feel, then don't go with the Hurst.
I agree. It gives a nice smooth transition between gears. It's not hard to get used to, and personally, it's easier to quick shift than the Tri-Ax handle stick I had in there before it. I also agree that if the "5.0 Feel" is what you want, this combo, ESPECIALLY with a T-Handle is not going to give it to you. It will give you more of an older muscle car feel.

I went with the steel one from a local parts dealer. Mine came in the packaging back from the 70's. If I remember, it was $48 plus tax. And they sold me their last one.

·
Registered
771 Posts
future9er24 said:
I've always had a thing for Hurst shifters, and I must say, both of those look great!

I know most people who use the Hurst stalk have aftermarket shifters, but does anyone know if it would bolt up to a factory shifter? I just bought my Bullitt and I'm rather short on cash. I don't mind the shifting mechanism as it is, but I do long for that look, and a T handle of course.
Heh, 3 replies in a row.

It does bolt to the factory shifter, however, and this may open a can of worms.... Replacing the factory rowing machine with an aftermarket unit is one of the BEST mods for the Bullitt, for the Mustang, for a 3650 Trans!!! Once you change it, you'll wonder why you didn't earlier..

If it helps any, I got my Pro 5.0 for $100, it was used, but only for 3 months, bought it from a friend. Every once in a while you'll catch one for dirt cheap on here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I sure wouldnt mind an aftermarket shifter, but I'll take it as it comes. I'm still waiting to hear back from a local craigslist ad on the Hurst stalk and T-handle.

I'm a very budget minded person (at least, I am after having to deal with such expensive parts for my last car, a '76 Mustang II) so I'm always looking around for used but still useable parts. I appreciate the info and recommendations everyone!

Edit: Oh, and for the record, I haven't experienced a 5.0 shifter or an old school shifter to compare with. I had my II, like I mentioned before, but I really don't know how that compares. But generally, I tend to prefer older ways of doing things lol, so I have a feeling an old school shift feel is just what I need

1 - 11 of 11 Posts