Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Guys-

It looks like I get to remove myself from the original battery thread. After eight years and admittely less than stellar battery mainteneance my stocker finally died. I am looking at going with the newer Die Hard Platinum series. It's made by the folks that manufacture Odyssey Batteries(apparently pretty good). Has anyone had any experience with this battery, good or bad? It doesn't have to be a Bullitt application, I'm just looking for some opinions. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
True. 8 years is incredible. I don't believe anything would do any better. I've never got anywhere close to that.

That said, my original lasted 3 1/2 years. When it went, I bought a red-top Optima. It's been in 4 1/2 years now. I've completely drained it a couple times. I let the car set for a year once, and six months another time. I put it on a 10 amp charge and it's fine. Best part, no freaking corroded terminals to worry about.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
When my original battery finally dies, I'm going to replace it with another Motorcraft battery from my local Ford Dealer. I always like to see Ford batteries in Mustangs myself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can't beet the Optima Battery. I have several of them in different vehicles. Even in our motor home I use the blue top for coach battery's. I did have 1 go bad and there was no problem getting a free replacement.
Zilla

·
Registered
309 Posts
Brandon,
I worked for JCI for almost 10 years. They manufacture the OE Motorcraft batteries as well as the Die Hard and Duralast brands and they own Optima Batteries as well.
Among other areas I oversaw the warranty department. And every tech that analized batteries swore by the Motorcraft batteries. Basically I would rate them like this
Optima or Motorcraft, then Duralast Gold then Sears Gold.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
If my Motorcraft battery should go toes up, I'll get another. It's not the 8 years, it's also they are on sale on a regular recurring basis. It just went off sale price of $59.95. Regular price was $79.95. How much is an Optima? Plus it looks ugly. I'd never :rolleyes: have that thing in my car...or truck.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
Based on 8 years, why not Motorcraft?
Exactly! When my battery takes the final dive, I am going to replace it with the original Motorcraft. Nothing else would even look right under that beautiful Bullitt hood.

·
Registered
967 Posts
my dad has an optima battery in his cobra. i don't remember whether or not its a yellow top or red top or what color top. he basically got the best one for cars. before he bought it he could barely go 5 days without recharging the battery because he has a short or something in his car. its been 2 months or so now and he has never had to recharge it.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I just got a redtop optima last month, the oem finally gave out. i would have bought
another motorcraft but i got the redtop at such a rediculously low price that if i told you i would have to off you. :lol: Lets just say it was well under a hundred dollars.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Having been a pro stereo installer for 22 years, I can say the battery top can be painted any color you like.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
My original motorcraft just died 2 weeks ago. replaced with another new motorcraft. Just looks right to me.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Like the others that have posted, will buy a Motorcraft for the Bullitt when the original dies.....I was in the market for a new battery back in January for the RX-7.....Was going to do the Optima, but at 169.00, I just couldn't do it....Landed up buying a Die-Hard Gold....So far, so good....Kim had a Die Hard Gold in her 99 Lexus ES 300 and it only lasted 13 months.....On Valentine Day, we had it replaced for free under warranty......

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Bullitt 40 said:
My original motorcraft just died 2 weeks ago. replaced with another new motorcraft. Just looks right to me.
Man that is an Outstanding Picture of Your Bullitt with all the Flora around it :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very Nice pic ...........

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys for the input...after some searching I had decided against a red top optima. The value vs. dollar just wasn't there for me. I had looked into the Die Hard Platinum and read many great reviews, it is a pricey piece at $189. I drive my car only in the summer and only on good occasions. But the more I think about, you guys bring up good points. If I can get the FoMoCo replacement at $79 and have it last another 8 or more years, I would be in a good place. I do like the idea of a sealed battery though; which the stocker is not, the Platinum is. Hmmm...the wheels keep turning.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
bbullitt said:
Thanks guys for the input...after some searching I had decided against a red top optima. The value vs. dollar just wasn't there for me. I had looked into the Die Hard Platinum and read many great reviews, it is a pricey piece at $189. I drive my car only in the summer and only on good occasions. But the more I think about, you guys bring up good points. If I can get the FoMoCo replacement at $79 and have it last another 8 or more years, I would be in a good place. I do like the idea of a sealed battery though; which the stocker is not, the Platinum is. Hmmm...the wheels keep turning.
Brandon,

Decisions-Decisions :confused: :confused: :confused:

tigerhonaker

1 - 20 of 36 Posts