Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a serious water spot problem and tried the vinegar soaks to no avail. Basically, it was a mild etching of the paint with faint depressions. It gave the entire paint, and glass, the appearance of an environmental fallout problem and I figured that this new water-based paint was simply too soft to hold up. And, I'm garaged!

We all know how crappy these Bullitts were painted. I've got my fair share of nicks, runs, haze, and bubbles. All this is complements of the Ford Manufacturing Process. No way did I ever see my Bullitt even approaching the mirror finish of other show cars. Well, I was wrong.

I used a product called 3M Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Finishes (PN 39009.) It's very popular and available all over the place. This stuff is the magic wand for your Bullitt.

First, I started by hand and realized that it really was working, slowly, but surely. I wore myself out one afternoon and was extremely pleased, but tired. The compound breaks down into smaller and smaller abrasives until it does not work anymore. So, it's self-limiting. DUFUS-Proof! Just what I need! I went over the whole car and now it looks like a mirror! Yea, the orange-peel isn't completly gone and my panels aren't the best stampings in the world, but what a difference.

I followed up with a light pre-wax polish and my first coat of wax. Wholy $&*T, does it look fine!

This is definately the correct stuff to clean-up your Bullitts without scratching. I'm looking at a finish now that's a heck of a lot closer to those concept Bullitts that sparked our attention a while back.

Then, if you add an orbital polisher to it, you feel like you're looking into a black (or DHG) hole that sucks you into the next dimension!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Can't find that stuff. Did you pick that up at an automotive finish supply place?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I checked out the link, what if you have already applied a wax finish, or did you already have wax on your Bullitt? The link doesn’t go into any details.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt1024 on 2001-10-22 18:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bullitt 1024 if you have waxed your car, wash it with dawn dishwasher soap. This cuts the wax. As you buff your car you would cut thru the wax anyway but way make it harder on yourself. After polishing (buffing) you should apply a good sealer wax product. JMHO

the opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management.
lmao

jjrocks
Black Bullitt #2754
Jim

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, 1024, 3M SMR is a pre-wax preparation. Once you've waxed your car, you've got all you're going to get. If there are any blemishes, you just waxed over them.

The basics of detailing are to solve as many problems as possible before you wax. Wax is just the last step and is intended to preserve the finish you have and add to the 3-D look.

So, if you clean it up as best as possible and then wax, your wax will give you the most depth and clarity. If you've already waxed, then you'll want to strip it off and do the prep again before re-waxing. Dawn brand dishwashing soap is commonly used because it's more acidic than many other soaps and neutralizes road grime very well. It strips your finish absolutely clean and leaves no residue to cloud your finish.

DHG #2095

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTCOUPE on 2001-10-23 00:03 ]</font>

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used that stuff before. Works pretty good. I used the 3M wax srtipper first. You can find that stuff at any Wal-Mart. It wasn't too expensive either as I remember.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts