Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new bullitt to my detailer the day after I got it. He shows me how there's overspray around the driver's door and on the inside of the doorframe. The outside of the door has an orange peel texture. He tells me he thinks the driver's door and left rear quarter panel were repainted.

There's something rattling around inside the driver's door. Something like a small bolt or something. This makes me even more suspicious.

My dealer didn't mention anything about the car being repainted. Is he required to? What recourse, if any, do I have? What if he denies it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Depending on the state you live in and the amount of damage (NO),In New York if the damage is less than 2500.00 dollars they do not have to disclose it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Back in '90. I purchased a 5.0 GT, new, at a local dealership. When the car was clean, you could tell a differnce in the paint on the driver's side rear quarter. I even had a couple of mechanics who worked on the car ask me if it had been wrecked. Remember, this car was sold new. I was much younger and liked the car so I never made a deal out of it. Even when I went to trade it in 4 years later, the new dealer said "this cars been painted". Told him that was the way Ford sold it to me.

I think it is a fairly common practice for car manufacturers to sell cars that have had body/paint repair as new. There was a famous case, concerning a BMW, here in Alabama where a guy sued and won about $2 Million because the car had paint work done and was sold as new.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Didn't that suit also spur the common sense laws concerning damage claims?

My recommendation is that if you are not happy, go to your dealer(be nice) and see if there is anything they can do.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yea. It was later reduced on appeal. The reason it got so much press was the size of the award. It wasn't like the guy was hurt. Unfortunately, Alabama is famous for being a friendly state to sue in. We get some crazy judgements. I think it was Motorola that got hit for about $1 Billion because they were accused of charging poor people too much for satellite dishes. There is one county, in the southern part of the state, that is particularly infamous. Many wealthy plaintiff's attorneys are made here.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I've brought this up before, but my car has some paint defects to say the least. The first think I noticed was what appeared to be sanding marks below the paint (as in the primer). These I thought were limited to the right fender and hood area. Now it is beginning to show up everywhere :mad: You'd almost think the body was repainted....

But the question is when. I first saw the car with the plastic still on it at the dealership on a Tuesday, just after it came off the truck. It was mine the very next day. Not enough time for the dealer to do any work. The car was built two weeks before that, again, nothing unusual there. What happened to this car at the Factory?

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
What you are describing is the paint sucking down. Factory paint should not do that, but repaints can. Mine has some repainting done at the factory or on transit. If the work was done right and the color looks good, it may be that you just need to get the dealer to have the car rubbed out. This should all be coverd under your warrenty, and that is how I would approch this one.

Hope this helps.

Bud who painted custom cars for a long time;-).

http://www.sonic.net/budacad/bullitt/bullitt.htm

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I just concerns me that the car might look worse after the dealer works on it. Thats why I have yet to do anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts