Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Paint re-hash...

1K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Jimbob 
#1 ·
We've discussed this whole paint issue at length before, but I still wonder about the Highland Green of 1968. Obviously, it wasn't clearcoat, because that hadn't been invented yet (that I know of). The question I have is about the formula for the tint, for the color itself. Was it different than the PY/PX of today, or was it totally something else? (Replica people feel free to chime in). We all agree that McQueen's ride certainly looks like a completely different color... but was it really? Just wondering.

#2 ·
StvMcQueen said:
We've discussed this whole paint issue at length before, but I still wonder about the Highland Green of 1968. Obviously, it wasn't clearcoat, because that hadn't been invented yet (that I know of). The question I have is about the formula for the tint, for the color itself. Was it different than the PY/PX of today, or was it totally something else? (Replica people feel free to chime in). We all agree that McQueen's ride certainly looks like a completely different color... but was it really? Just wondering.
It's interesting that you brought this up. My wife and I owned a '68 GT390 back then, and we remember the color being called Moss Green. As we recall, it was a slightly lighter green. DHG looks black in some lighting conditions, whereas our old GT never did, that we recall. Time to burn up the internet with some research!
Ratman

#3 ·
navypbr said:
It's interesting that you brought this up. My wife and I owned a '68 GT390 back then, and we remember the color being called Moss Green. As we recall, it was a slightly lighter green. DHG looks black in some lighting conditions, whereas our old GT never did, that we recall. Time to burn up the internet with some research!
Ratman
http://www.nvsaac.com/Details/1968_ford_mustang_paint_colors.htm gives all the '68 Mustang colors, but the only other green I see is "Seafoam Green," Code O. The "Highland Green Metallic," Code R doesn't look a thing like our cars, or even the movie car in my opinion. Poor color on the webpage, I guess.

#5 ·
67_Bullitt said:
The 67 was dark moss, 68 highland.
We must've crossed in the mail. See above post. I'm almost sure that '67 also had a "Polo Green," that was dark and looked a lot like the '68 "Highland Green." What have you learned, Ratman?

#6 ·
67_Bullitt said:
The 67 was dark moss, 68 highland.
Mustangs never seemed to make definate stop-start dates on production, which gives some really strange combinations that aren't documented. My wife and I are certain that our '68 GT was Dark Moss Green, but then, it was forty years ago! One thing for certain is that Dark Highland Green was not on the '67 or '68. I checked the website listed above for both '67 and '68 and the Highland Green shown for the '68 doesn't look anything like my old car, or the one in the movie, for that matter. The movie car looks more like my Dark Moss; which was slightly lighter than our current DHG.
Ratman

#7 ·
StvMcQueen said:
We must've crossed in the mail. See above post. I'm almost sure that '67 also had a "Polo Green," that was dark and looked a lot like the '68 "Highland Green." What have you learned, Ratman?
Check my reply to 67_Mustang and check out the website listed above. If you substitute 1967 for 1968 in the address, you can see both years.
Ratman

#9 ·
RCSignals said:
I think the '68 Highland Green was slightly lighter.
i like our DHG better
I'm on the fence, RC, but I do think our color has a bit more class. When the sun starts to go down, we might as well be driving black Bullitts. I'm still intrigued about the "formula," though, and wish a "paint guy" would chime in to tell us if the old '68 Code R had anything at all in common with PX/PY.

It also eludes me why Ford didn't go with the original formula for both '01 and '08/09.

#10 ·
navypbr said:
Mustangs never seemed to make definate stop-start dates on production, which gives some really strange combinations that aren't documented. My wife and I are certain that our '68 GT was Dark Moss Green, but then, it was forty years ago! One thing for certain is that Dark Highland Green was not on the '67 or '68. I checked the website listed above for both '67 and '68 and the Highland Green shown for the '68 doesn't look anything like my old car, or the one in the movie, for that matter. The movie car looks more like my Dark Moss; which was slightly lighter than our current DHG.
Ratman
I did the cross check of 67-68 and the Moss Green (Code Y) sure looks like what McQueen was driving. The "Timberline" looks like what we have. Strange, since none of the '68 colors look anything like any of them. Wouldn't it be a kick to find out that the Bullitt movie car was really a Moss Green 1967 Mustang, and all these years we've been led astray? All it would've taken is for some reporter back then writing a movie review to not bother doing his research for it to have happened. Who would've bothered to check it out --- hey, I read it in the PAPER, it has to be true. I don't know where I got the "Polo Green" I mentioned above... oh, yes I do... Bob Gillingham Ford (where I bought my Bullitt) has a '67 hardtop for sale and it was advertised as "Polo Green." All very confusing, really.

#12 ·
RCSignals said:
the movie car definitely is not a '67
There is no doubt that the body style was definitely '68. Some years back I got infected with restoring '65 and '66 Fastbacks. As I researched for correct details, I found that as the '65 model year changed over to the '66, Ford continued using stock from the '65's until they were used up. Hence, you could have a '66 with '65 components. If you had a build date within a month or so of the model change you could interchange many parts and still be correct. I've often wondered if the Dark Moss didn't find it's way into the early production '68 before they switched to the Highland for the balance of the year. The movie cars (actually two cars, right?) both appear to be a '67 color. It would be interesting to know when those cars were produced in relation to the change date from '67 to '68. I know that when the basic style changes, like when it went from '66 to '67, they closed down production and retooled for the new model. But when the basic style DIDN'T change, like '67 to '68, is it possible that the change was less defined? Who really knows?
Ratman

#13 ·
navypbr said:
There is no doubt that the body style was definitely '68. Some years back I got infected with restoring '65 and '66 Fastbacks. As I researched for correct details, I found that as the '65 model year changed over to the '66, Ford continued using stock from the '65's until they were used up. Hence, you could have a '66 with '65 components. If you had a build date within a month or so of the model change you could interchange many parts and still be correct. I've often wondered if the Dark Moss didn't find it's way into the early production '68 before they switched to the Highland for the balance of the year. The movie cars (actually two cars, right?) both appear to be a '67 color. It would be interesting to know when those cars were produced in relation to the change date from '67 to '68. I know that when the basic style changes, like when it went from '66 to '67, they closed down production and retooled for the new model. But when the basic style DIDN'T change, like '67 to '68, is it possible that the change was less defined? Who really knows?
Ratman
I think you could be onto something about the paint, Ratman. I know the production dates for the two Bullitt movie cars is out there, but I'll be danged if I can remember where I saw it. Back to THE Google...

#15 ·
droopysbullitt said:
The movie cars were highland green. It is MUCH lighter than DHG of today. DHG was a Ford truck color in 2001 so it was not made special for the Bullitt. 2008 it was also a truck color.
Was the '01 and '08 color for trucks also called "Highland Green," or does that name strictly belong to us? Funny, I saw a truck that I thought looked an awful lot like our color... now I know why. Thanks for the info.

#17 ·
RCSignals said:
I'm not sure. Our cars are listed as 'Highland Green' and 'Dark Highland Green' by Ford depending on where you look
What I came up with is Ford trucks go by "Forest Green," but I couldn't find the actual paint code, so I'm not sure it's the same. Looks the same, but who knows?

#18 ·
StvMcQueen said:
What I came up with is Ford trucks go by "Forest Green," but I couldn't find the actual paint code, so I'm not sure it's the same. Looks the same, but who knows?
There's a Ford Truck green - "Alpine Green" IIRC, that's darker than the '08 Bullitt's green - my Brother-in-law's '07 F-150 is that colour - it's almost Black, even in direct sunlight. Very dark, looks good.

#19 ·
JC2954 said:
There's a Ford Truck green - "Alpine Green" IIRC, that's darker than the '08 Bullitt's green - my Brother-in-law's '07 F-150 is that colour - it's almost Black, even in direct sunlight. Very dark, looks good.
Yes, I saw that Alpine Green. Very dark. Very cool. I was searching for whatever paint is supposed to be "ours," but without the code I can't be sure.

#20 ·
StvMcQueen said:
Yes, I saw that Alpine Green. Very dark. Very cool. I was searching for whatever paint is supposed to be "ours," but without the code I can't be sure.
Okay everybody, take out your crayons and color Ratman "Stupid". My wife pulled out an old dusty photo album from the 60's and guess what? The Dark Moss Fastback was a '67 2+2. A couple of years later, I bought a '68 GT390 that was Black/Black. Fortunately, I've had the same wife for 42 years or I might not know who I married back in '66. Since I have lost all credibility on this issue, my opinion isn't worth much of anything, even to ME! I even convinced myself that I knew what I was talking about. Thankfully, my trusty spouse set me straight; as usual.
Ratman

#22 ·
navypbr said:
Okay everybody, take out your crayons and color Ratman "Stupid". My wife pulled out an old dusty photo album from the 60's and guess what? The Dark Moss Fastback was a '67 2+2. A couple of years later, I bought a '68 GT390 that was Black/Black. Fortunately, I've had the same wife for 42 years or I might not know who I married back in '66. Since I have lost all credibility on this issue, my opinion isn't worth much of anything, even to ME! I even convinced myself that I knew what I was talking about. Thankfully, my trusty spouse set me straight; as usual.
Ratman
It's OK:exclaim: Premature onset of Oldtimers. In other words, you have too much trivia crammed into your cranium and are suffering from BS Overflow.:eek: :rolleyes: :wink:

#23 ·
Wild goose chase...

navypbr said:
Ratman
No problem, Ratman. Nothing like a good "wild goose chase" to stimulate the mind and hone our patience skills.:lol:

#24 ·
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
StvMcQueen,

interesting point you made that our cars might as well be black when the sun goes down. i have had two people inform me that my "black" car looks good, and this has been during the day time. funny because i did not want another black mustang fastback after my '69. hahahaha. oh well
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't mix black in with the orange and yellow to get our green. Heckuva color. I love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.