Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Bullitt DHG K0158 3000mi w/magneride,tint, electronics, Mach1 wheels, Whipple & all 5spurs adds
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that Paul Newman's Rolex (6239) watch recently sold at auction for $17.8million as per attached pic. So, I started investigating the value of a non Paul Newman Rolex 6239 and I quickly discovered that the real thing would require me to sell my Bullitt and mortgage my house = not going to happen.

So, I thought that there must be a 'solid' replica out there that a plebe such as myself could buy and make it a part of my Bullitt collection. After much internet surfing I finally found a reasonable copy for about $1000 with honest to goodness Swiss innards, stainless steel and crystal glass. Pic attached.

Its close enough for me considering the huge discount from an original. Has any Bullitthead or Newman fan found anything better out there?
Watch Analog watch White Product Clock
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory

·
Premium Member
16,048 Posts
I'd suggest you do a search on the number of Rolex muggings out there. People being severely injured or even killed for their "luxury" watches. I doubt these thugs know the difference between a fake Rolex and a real one. But you'll know you're wearing a fake, and so would any owner of a real Daytona. To each his own, but are you sure you want that? (edit) Pick any of these videos...
rolex watch robbery - YouTube

If it's being a Bullitt head you enjoy, why not look for a watch that he wore in Bullitt? That's not a Rolex. McQueen was pretty careful selecting things to fit the role. That's why Frank Bullitt drove a Mustang...not a Ferrari that Steve drove in real life. That watch would be:

Affordable Vintage: The Bullitt Benrus - Worn & Wound (wornandwound.com)

As for me? I try to keep a low profile...especially in light of today's high crime rate. I dress off the rack, and my watch is an inexpensive Hamilton "khaki King" field watch. Rugged enough, easy to read, and has a day/date complication...the features I prefer in a watch. Mine is an earlier version of this...with an all brushed stainless look. I prefer it over the polished bezel of the new model. Also, if you find yourself interested in horology, this guy has some pretty educational videos:
The Classic Field Watch From Hamilton With A Day-Date Complication - Khaki Field King Auto - YouTube

·
Registered
905 Posts
While I'm not a big fan of replicas, I do get the urge especially with the unobtainium that is the vintage Rolex models. Another option is getting a "homage" watch, something like a Steinhart chronograph.

It doesn't look a whole lot like the Daytona, but the Hamilton intra-matic is a terrific looking original retro styled chronograph as well.

As for modern options, the Tudor Black Bay Chrono is nice, but in a whole other price bracket. Thats assuming you can get your hands on one at retail.

Reactions: pwd72s

·
Registered
2019 Bullitt DHG K0158 3000mi w/magneride,tint, electronics, Mach1 wheels, Whipple & all 5spurs adds
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the interesting bits and pieces. Where I live, my only chance of being mugged is by the four legged type when I am late delivering their breakfast. I checked out the Benrus Bullitt watch worn by Steve in the movie and they are sold out everywhere. So, I was going to go with the Rolex replica through watchesbuy.to out of China but then my bank blocked the transaction. Hmm, maybe I'll just stick with my old Seiko Chronograph from the 70s and buy 5spurs stealth emblems for the rear decklid and the horn button. And, that reminds me how much I hate only one thing on my Bullitt...the horn!

·
Premium Member
16,048 Posts
A watch selection is indeed a personal thing. I have a vague recollection of reading a tech piece on how to install a dual horn setup on the new Bullitt. Can't really recall where I read it though...here or another site.

Sounds like your bank may have done you a favor...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I did a transaction on that site a few years back for another Rolex knock-off. It failed to clear customs (I wonder why!) and they sent me another one asap. So, who knows if they are still trustworthy?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts