Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I finally sorted through some of the latest forum topics and have the time to pass on my latest findings from a mod.
I received a re-burned chip from PHP and installed it today. The first didn't work so they corrected the problem and returned it to me. It seems that it took a while for my car's computer to recognize the new program because within the space of about 30 minutes and 10 miles the car shut down on me once, idle fluctuated a bit and finally it hickuped then immediately sprang to life with a more aggressive roar. So I took it out for an extended run of 30 miles at varying speeds and gears. Here's my impression. With my 373's I hit the rev limiter in 3rd at about 93-95 mph. 5th gear at 4200-4300 rpm I maxed out my speedometer. Yep, 150 mph with power still building. I remember before on my trip from the port of entry that I hit 148 at about 5500-5800 rpm (I can't quote exactly because I was concentrating hard on the road and curve approaching). This time it was all straight and I even had my wife in the car to help me keep track of the tach reading. I didn't really need her though because it was an open road and the car was rock solid. In fact I felt like I could just cruise all night at that speed. Needless to say I am very pleased with the result this latest mod has made for my car. I should also mention that between the first high speed run and the one today I installed my Demolet Densecharger which may have played a part in the overall performance. Temperature outside was a humid 26 degrees centigrade winds calm. Monday I go to the open track for some real fun. For all of you non-Bullitt owners I say hurry up and get one 'cause this car really rocks!!!! I also received my A/C switches and e-brake handle from MGW. All I can say is all of you that already own them and commented on the fit and finish are absolutely correct. They compliment my UPR window switches and my soon to be added chrome cluster surrounds from Brothers Performance.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sounds like a great improvement for you! :smile:

So, is the concensus that there is "hidden" power that can be gotten at in an otherwise stock/CAI only engine with just a chip? Sort of Ford imposed computer detuning of the car being "undone" by the chip? Or do you think all the other mods you have are necessary? (Or are those your only two mods? I thought you had more.)

Joe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG-1934 on 2001-08-25 18:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe in my case it is definitely all the mods working together. I haven't posted a sig because it's a work in progress but to date as far as the engine goes I have the following: In addition to the chip, I have the Demolet Densecharger, port matched stock throttle body, BBK alt and water pulleys (FYI they are the same size as the stock Bullitt pulleys but look cooler to me because they are polished aluminium), Steeda harmonic balancer underdrive crank pulley, BBK longtube ceramic coated headers and off road short h-pipe connected to stock cat back exhaust. I also have the following driveline mods: FMS 3.73:1 gears, FMS aluminium driveshaft, and Steeda tri-ax shifter. Suspension mods are Steeda upper and lower rear control arms, Steeda subframe connector with the cross brace, Eibach Sportline springs, and Maximum Motorsports stainless steel brake lines. I also have Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates that I'll be putting on later this week. I removed the metal brake dust shield all around and the heavy vibration damper. I use 95 octane RON because it's the regular unleaded here and I'm not sure what the American equivalent is. I'll be trying out the premium which is 98 octane RON after tomorrow to see if there is any difference. That's it for now that is until Paul Svinicki releases the Bullitt high performance package. After all of my supercharger troubles I believe I'll keep this one naturally aspirated. Oh, I forgot to mention that I still have the unflashed KGS1 computer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roushraven99 on 2001-08-25 19:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
31 Posts
I GOT TO SAY I'M IMPRESSED WITH ALL THE EXPERIANCE I KEEP READING ABOUT. I'M LEARNING FAST BUT NOT FAST ENOUGH FOR MY OWN
WANTS...SO CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME THOUGHTS ON WHERE I SHOULD INVEST MY HARD EARNED DOLLARS FIRST TO INCREASE HP. I MEAN "CHEAPLY" FIRST. A SUPERCHARGER WOULD BE
NICE BUT I WOULD HAVE TO STOP PAYING MY TAXES
TO AFFORD ONE AND THEN I COULDN'T DRIVE THE CAR FROM JAIL. A FEW EXTRA PONIES WOULD SURE BE NICE. I'M OPEN TO IDEAS FROM ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN DOWN THE ROAD ALREADY AND THANKS FOR THE TRAINING...I NEED IT!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SGTHWY first I would say select your budget and then decide from there based on what you have seen to be effective on this forum. The easiest and cheapest way in my opinion to make the most of the Bullitt's stock power is to get better tires. From there swap the stock rear end gear for at least a 3.73, add the Ford Motorsport aluminium driveshaft, Demolet Densecharger and the Steeda crankshaft harmonic balancer underdriven pulley. At a minimum you can install the tires, driveshaft and Densecharger to save install money while leaving the gears and pulley to a qualified tech who has the proper tools. Cost in parts will be about $650.00 depending on where you buy not including the tires. Base the cost for the gears on shop time of about 4 hours and the pulley 30 mins to an hour. These mods will free up the available stock HP and dramatically change you SOTP feel. As for dyno results if you go to a shop with the Dynojet chassis adding the gears will show a 3-5 hp graph loss however that loss would be negated by adding the aluminium driveshaft. This is according to Dynojet and the long spiel can be found on www.corral.net. The pulley will free up an additional 5-8 HP rear wheel and about 8 ft-lbs of TQ across the entire power curve. I hope this helps.
Arthur

·
Registered
451 Posts
Roushraven, thanks very much for that synopsis. All my planned modifications exist only in the distant 6mo to 1 year window at very best, BUT I was wondering what my low-budget mild mod plan should be. You have really laid out a nice plan here...

Thanks!
Joe

·
Registered
31 Posts
ROUSHRAVEN, THANKS FOR THE STARTING POINT. I THINK I CAN HANDLE THESE. I STARTED LOOKING THROUGH MY CATALOGS AND ON LINE AND FOUND THE ITEMS YOU SUGGESTED. AGAIN, THANKS.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're welcome to all.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
nice post roush!
glad you are happy with Paul's chip AND your gains!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on performance with the chip. I took the car out last night to a flat deserted road for some redline testing. The road itself is just under two miles long and starts on incline, flattens out then declines slightly before taking a moderate, high banked curve to the right. Now speed is 105mph in 3rd gear at 6000 rpm, 142mph in 4th at 6000 rpm, and hitting the right speedo peg in 5th at 4700 rpm and pulling. In comparison, on the same road with both my coupe and convertible (w/o supercharger) Roush cars and stock gearing the max speed no matter from standstill or rolling at 40 mph was 137 mph in 4th at 5800 rpm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts