Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else noticed that things posted that make the Bullitt LOOK neat get good responses. But, PERFORMANCE mods get thousands of looks? In an incredibly unscientific analysis, it appears that the Bullitt crowd that wants to go fast and handle well make up the vast majority of owners. Any thoughts?
Ratman

P.S. The REALLY cool thing is that you can do BOTH with a Bullitt !!!!
 

·
Car Whisperer
Joined
·
21,377 Posts
I have to go with looks primarily. There is always someone faster. Also, it seems from threads and articles I have read you can have a street car that is almost too fast. You have to know how to handle a 600 or 800HP street car. Not everyone realizes that in their quest for speed. Plus, how often and where can you really use it?

It's kinda like the bodybuilder that looks like he can bench 500lbs., but really only uses 225. I don't think the car has to necessarily back up all of the looks. Long as you are happy with it and it goes the way you want, you don't have to be able to beat everyone at the stoplight...plus...it's illegal and like I have said before, Race the race, Loose your ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,753 Posts
Makes Sense

navypbr said:
Has anybody else noticed that things posted that make the Bullitt LOOK neat get good responses. But, PERFORMANCE mods get thousands of looks? In an incredibly unscientific analysis, it appears that the Bullitt crowd that wants to go fast and handle well make up the vast majority of owners. Any thoughts?
Ratman

P.S. The REALLY cool thing is that you can do BOTH with a Bullitt !!!!

This actually makes sense. The car is intented to be a sleeper and most people who buy one are looking for this. A car that is not flashy but is very quick. IMO, if you want to build something flashy, get a GT or Pony and modify away. If you want a driving car get the Bullitt. I love the "Plan Jane" look of my Bullitt and will not change that but may add HP improvments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frankenstang said:
I have to go with looks primarily. There is always someone faster. Also, it seems from threads and articles I have read you can have a street car that is almost too fast. You have to know how to handle a 600 or 800HP street car. Not everyone realizes that in their quest for speed. Plus, how often and where can you really use it?

It's kinda like the bodybuilder that looks like he can bench 500lbs., but really only uses 225. I don't think the car has to necessarily back up all of the looks. Long as you are happy with it and it goes the way you want, you don't have to be able to beat everyone at the stoplight...plus...it's illegal and like I have said before, Race the race, Loose your ride.
The Ford Racing engineers I talked to would agree with you. When I asked about a Roush Supercharger, they said not to put one on a Bullitt. They said the engineering that went into the Bullitt was intended to create a "balanced" performance car. It would be faster on the straights but would suffer in tight turns, etc. They told me that if I wanted to do a supercharger I should get a standard GT because I'd have to change so much to make the car handle well, it would ruin the Bullitt package. Very interesting.
Ratman
 

·
Car Whisperer
Joined
·
21,377 Posts
JackDW - 852 said:
This actually makes sense. The car is intented to be a sleeper and most people who buy one are looking for this. A car that is not flashy but is very quick. IMO, if you want to build something flashy, get a GT or Pony and modify away. If you want a driving car get the Bullitt. I love the "Plan Jane" look of my Bullitt and will not change that but may add HP improvments.
That is very true.

That look however is a "modification" in and of itself, by eliminating things to get the sleeper look or as you stated, the "Plane Jane" look, the car was "modified" to look like that to satisfy those customers who like that "look" the same way one is modified by putting on body kits, spoilers, etc. for that "look". Sleepers have been around for a long time and will most likely be for evermore in the car realms.

Thus the "look" is what sells and what people first notice, the performance is not known until you either look under the hood, press the gas pedal or see it go on the track. I think it is great since everyone likes something a little different and that variety makes for fun viewing on what people or companies do with their cars.

I love watching with others do with their cars.

It's all about first impresssions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,443 Posts
Frankenstang said:
I love watching with others do with their cars.

It's all about first impresssions.
Sez the man with the War Machine Bullitt........... :badgrin:
 

·
Car Whisperer
Joined
·
21,377 Posts
JC2954 said:
Sez the man with the War Machine Bullitt........... :badgrin:

That's a new name for it, I like it!!!! :) :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
I vote for looks! :smile:

Considering the rate in which gas prices are increasing I really don't want my Bullitt to drink any more than it already does!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,355 Posts
navypbr said:
Has anybody else noticed that things posted that make the Bullitt LOOK neat get good responses. But, PERFORMANCE mods get thousands of looks? In an incredibly unscientific analysis, it appears that the Bullitt crowd that wants to go fast and handle well make up the vast majority of owners. Any thoughts?
Ratman

P.S. The REALLY cool thing is that you can do BOTH with a Bullitt !!!!
Ratman,

I Agree with You !!!!!!!!!!


Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
i love the look of the newer mustangs in general, and the bullitt especially. i also love how easy (and also safer) it is when passing on the highway the power is just there on demand. this is WAY more car than i need but would rather have that than not enough :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,492 Posts
navypbr said:
The Ford Racing engineers I talked to would agree with you. When I asked about a Roush Supercharger, they said not to put one on a Bullitt. They said the engineering that went into the Bullitt was intended to create a "balanced" performance car. It would be faster on the straights but would suffer in tight turns, etc. They told me that if I wanted to do a supercharger I should get a standard GT because I'd have to change so much to make the car handle well, it would ruin the Bullitt package. Very interesting.
Ratman

I agree with the Ford Racing engineers 100%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,355 Posts
BB2008 said:
I agree with the Ford Racing engineers 100%.
Well, I know that Mark has the Shelby GT-500 and (ALL) the test on it says it is Front End Heavy.

So, Ken, I Agree with you that the Bullitt is as Ford designed it to be a Complete Package.

It Runs, Handles, Stops, Rides and Looks the Part as they Built & Designed it.

It is truly a Winner !!!!!!!!!


Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,498 Posts
I actually rather prefer to think of the car as a tribute to McQueen, instead of just the movie Bullitt.

In which case, do whatever you believe a real car guy like McQueen would approve of...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Looks can be modified farily cheaply in terms of cost. Performance mods are typically much more expensive, could require skilled mechanics, and could quite possibly void a warranty depending. It makes sense that looks are the more popular choice based solely on affordability. Plus, as someone else stated, usually your first impression is based on the looks of the car.

That said, I've actually noticed much more member appreciation of the mechanical mods posted here, than the looks. While I enjoy appearance mods- I personally am more intrigued by the Bullitt's that have swapped cams, superchargers, watts link, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Yeah I agree that most Bullitt buyers have bought the Bullitt over the standard GT because of its looks so on average we want less done cosmetically but more done performance wise. After all we do own one of the most performance modifiable cars in existance!
For me the Bullitt has about 90% of the look I want already which is the main reason I got a Bullitt over a standard GT. That remaining 10% of looks is the louvers and a hood with the heat extractor vents to more completely match the original's visual cues. After that I'm done with modifying the look.
Now as far as performance goes there is much more that I want to do the car. Suspension upgrades although I am maintaining stock ride height. Brake upgrades and eventually engine upgrades. All make a car that I already enjoy driving and make it that much more fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
cwebb said:
Yeah I agree that most Bullitt buyers have bought the Bullitt over the standard GT because of its looks so on average we want less done cosmetically but more done performance wise. After all we do own one of the most performance modifiable cars in existance!
For me the Bullitt has about 90% of the look I want already which is the main reason I got a Bullitt over a standard GT. That remaining 10% of looks is the louvers and a hood with the heat extractor vents to more completely match the original's visual cues. After that I'm done with modifying the look.
Now as far as performance goes there is much more that I want to do the car. Suspension upgrades although I am maintaining stock ride height. Brake upgrades and eventually engine upgrades. All make a car that I already enjoy driving and make it that much more fun.
I completely endorse this post.:smile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cwebb said:
Yeah I agree that most Bullitt buyers have bought the Bullitt over the standard GT because of its looks so on average we want less done cosmetically but more done performance wise. After all we do own one of the most performance modifiable cars in existance!
For me the Bullitt has about 90% of the look I want already which is the main reason I got a Bullitt over a standard GT. That remaining 10% of looks is the louvers and a hood with the heat extractor vents to more completely match the original's visual cues. After that I'm done with modifying the look.
Now as far as performance goes there is much more that I want to do the car. Suspension upgrades although I am maintaining stock ride height. Brake upgrades and eventually engine upgrades. All make a car that I already enjoy driving and make it that much more fun.
I agree wholeheartedly, with one addition. Some of us "older" folks bought this car because we actually owned, or were personally attached to the original '68 GT 390. At an age when most of my friends are buying Town Cars and other "comfy" cars, my wife and I bought Mustangs. Every time we get in the Bullitt (Or even her Crystal Blue) we are transported back to that time when I first came home from Viet Nam, and we bought our 390. We always loved the movie Bullitt because we lived in South San Francisco and frequently would go for drives along the movie chase route and then picnic along Skyline Road. I always dreamed of getting a restored '68, but the '08 Bullitt captures that car so well that it makes us feel the same old way. I bought an '01, which is an awesome car, but I sold it because it just didn't capture the original '68 enough. The designers of the '08 managed to get close to the look, but even more, they designed a car that captured the "feel". I plan to be blasting through mountain roads in this car until, at 101 years old, my sons pry my fingers off the steering wheel so they can bury my stiff, dead body !!!!
Ratman
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top