Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There always seems to be a post asking for tire suggestions and I just recently read a quick summary of the "top tires" so I thought I would summarize here. First this is for max performance summer and DOT R compound tires only. This info was obtained from grassroots motorsports after examining what tires were used in national NASA and SCCA events.

Street tires

The best performing tires seem to be the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R and the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 star spec followed closely by the Falken Azenis RT-615. Two new tires that that should compete but have not really been tested yet are the Kumho ECSTA XS and Nitto NT05. The biggest problem I found is tire sizes if you have wider rims I could only find the Falken to fit 18x10 rims, however, I think the Kumho and Nitto now come in bigger sizes. When I purchased tires last spring the Falken and Dunlops were a fair amount cheaper. For tires that are good in the rain consider Goodyear GS-D3s, KDWs, or Toyo R1R.

DOT R-compound

For max performance they suggested Hoosier A6 or R6. For a R-compound that compromises some performance for some longevity they suggested Toyo R888 or Nitto nt01s

Hope this may help someone. I decided on the Dunlops for my front and the Falkens in the rear. However, now that the Kumho and Nittos are out, I may have chosen something different. In case someone is curious I have driven several times in heavy rain without a problem, but I still have lots of tread.

Matt

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Just noticed for the Bridgestones the only 265 is their largest 18 inch tire. I'd want at least 275s on mine. I guess that cuts them out.

The Dunlops offer a 275/35-18. I'd prefer 40s but I'll go with that. Maybe they'll get some more sizes the longer they are out.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
I started searching for tires about 2 months ago....i finally decided on Nitto 555 Extr 255/40zr-17.....they produce very little road noise an really grab the ground...just some info.........

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Matt Stachler said:
There always seems to be a post asking for tire suggestions and I just recently read a quick summary of the "top tires" so I thought I would summarize here. First this is for max performance summer and DOT R compound tires only. This info was obtained from grassroots motorsports after examining what tires were used in national NASA and SCCA events.

Street tires

The best performing tires seem to be the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R and the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 star spec followed closely by the Falken Azenis RT-615. Two new tires that that should compete but have not really been tested yet are the Kumho ECSTA XS and Nitto NT05. The biggest problem I found is tire sizes if you have wider rims I could only find the Falken to fit 18x10 rims, however, I think the Kumho and Nitto now come in bigger sizes. When I purchased tires last spring the Falken and Dunlops were a fair amount cheaper. For tires that are good in the rain consider Goodyear GS-D3s, KDWs, or Toyo R1R.

DOT R-compound

For max performance they suggested Hoosier A6 or R6. For a R-compound that compromises some performance for some longevity they suggested Toyo R888 or Nitto nt01s

Hope this may help someone. I decided on the Dunlops for my front and the Falkens in the rear. However, now that the Kumho and Nittos are out, I may have chosen something different. In case someone is curious I have driven several times in heavy rain without a problem, but I still have lots of tread.

Matt
Here are some Pics:

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166753&highlight=tigerhonaker+dot+performance+tires

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I just order some new track tires, a set of 4 275/35 18 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec to replace my 255/40 18 Azenis RT-615.. Besides being rated better the large 275/35 will add about 6" more to the total contact patch.

Now's the time to buy if your looking at the Dunlops- Discount Tire Direct has the best price along with free shipping, plus there's a $50 rebate until the end of March from Dunlop.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I run the Bridgestone Potenza RE's on my Bullitt. I wanted to keep mine 100% original but the gatorbacks was just a horrible tire. What a difference the Potenza made in driving,vibration,quietness,and handling, especially handling!!
I would highly recommend this tire.
DCLmustang

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.