Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The story goes like this- after selling my '09 GT500 last November (a deal I now regret and the reasons will become more clear as this post explains), I got into a beautiful, low mileage, DHG '19 Bullitt. 3 weeks after buying the car, I got fired so this car- thru no fault of its own- causes me to feel guilty every time I drive it. It's $$ out the door I don't need to spend right now and honestly, I'm just not getting much joy out of the car. Plus the insurance is just outrageous, I'm guessing because of all the technology. And before I got fired, I even bought a Steeda H pipe and Magneride lowering springs but they're still sitting in their original boxes. I just can't bring myself to throw $$ at the car.

After discussion w/my wife, I've strongly considered selling it as the used car market is steaming hot right now. Carvana offered me more $$ than I paid for it some 8 months ago & I'm seriously tempted, although my wife thinks it's a mistake.

I started shopping replacement vehicles and thought I'd narrowed my choice to a '19 Volkswagen GTI, which is a sporty hatchback, considerably smaller/lighter, more versatile/practical, w/much better gas mileage and solid reliability; except when I exposed this pick to my wife she said, "But it's not a Bullitt- there's nothing special or exceptional about the car." After 37+ years of marriage, she knows me all too well and I know what she means; she's afraid I'll get bored w/it quickly and start the dance again. My counter-thoughts are that once I'm re-employed, I can always buy another Mustang. Seems logical, right?

And then this hit me- why don't I just buy another '08/09 Bullitt and lightly mod her? Yes, I know it's 2 steps down from the S550 gen's higher build quality. I've also made no bones about my former '08 possibly being my favorite of all my Mustangs. I know my wife liked that one best of all my Stangs. And even after 3 accidents, the car was nearly indestructible and I never had any performance issues w/her. Lastly, that 5 speed trans is like an anvil, unlike the MT82D trans in the newer version Bullitt.

I shopped the internet this afternoon for a bit, and prices aren't bad at all. By the time I'd sell my car to Carvana and pay off the loan, there'd be $$ leftover to pay off a Bullitt and do some of the basic bolt-on mods I always do. Basically, it'd be a clean sweep and I'd have no expenses hanging over my head... or guilt. If I instead went the other route w/the GTI, I'd be without a Mustang in the garage for the first time since '88!

It might not be the most logical choice. After all, the '08/09 Bullitts are already 12+ years old and since I use my Stangs as daily drivers, it's going to be pretty used up by the time I decide to sell and likely won't have much value. But at least I'd still have my emotional connection to Mustangs, and particularly the Bullitt.

Hindsight being 20/20, I never should've sold my GT500 but I didn't see my firing just ahead. Too late to focus on that. Now I've just got to confirm to myself this is what I want to do.
Lee

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
Sorry for the life’s predicament you are in. You are addressing it in a logical way. Do what’s best for the near future and I don’t think you will be happy with the GTI. Two Bullitts and a GT 500 in your past so make a decision and move forward. Everything will work out.:)

Don

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
And then this hit me- why don't I just buy another '08/09 Bullitt and lightly mod her? Yes, I know it's 2 steps down from the S550 gen's higher build quality. I've also made no bones about my former '08 possibly being my favorite of all my Mustangs. I know my wife liked that one best of all my Stangs. And even after 3 accidents, the car was nearly indestructible and I never had any performance issues w/her. Lastly, that 5 speed trans is like an anvil, unlike the MT82D trans in the newer version.

I shopped the internet this afternoon for a bit, and prices aren't bad at all. By the time I'd sell my car to Carvana and pay off the loan, there'd be $$ leftover to pay off a Bullitt and do some of the basic bolt-on mods I always do. Basically, it'd be a clean sweep and I'd have no expenses hanging over my head... or guilt. If I instead went the other route w/the GTI, I'd be without a Mustang in the garage for the first time since '88!

It might not be the most logical choice. After all, the '08/09 Bullitts are already 12+ years old and since I use my Stangs as daily drivers, it's going to be pretty used up by the time I decide to sell and likely won't have much value. But at least I'd still have my emotional connection to Mustangs, and particularly the Bullitt.

Now I've just got to confirm to myself this is what I want to do.
Lee
Hi Lee!
I VOTE YES to S197 BULLITT.
You are a Mustang Driver! You fulfill your Mustang persona each time you gaze upon her in the driveway, when you drag your fingers along her metal, when you wash and detail her, then grinning each time you crank the engine, enjoying the exhaust music and then shift thru gears, smiling and giving a wave at other Mustang drivers. Have fun with (light???) mods, making it your own. You know the S197!!!
Mustang since 1988.
The S197 Bullitt has been holding value as a solid platform.. So as a DD, mileage depreciation is less. The 550 Bullitt depreciation value is threatened by the new 550 Mach1, with the Tremec.

Happy wife, happy life. The ladies say, happy husband, happy life. You know she liked the S197 best...
I am amazed that Carvana is offering more than you paid. Carpe Diem the opportunity from Covid diminished '20 Bullitt production.
Now remember your GT500 honeymoon drive from Texas...
Bill
PS, If I had to make a decision now between my 105K mile, 63 track day, 29 state & RT 66 driven 08 BLLTT or 8K FL roadtrips & Covid dinner getter 19 BLLT2?
BLLT2 would be leaving on the Carvana.

·
Premium Member
14,741 Posts
Where do you get this "2 steps down" stuff? Sure the '08-'09 has less power...but 2 steps down? Not to me...One reason I'm still in my '09 is there are things I don't like about the '19-'20 Bullitt. No need for me to go into them here, but hell, sounds like a smart move to me. Hoping you can find a good '08-;09. :)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Where do you get this "2 steps down" stuff? Sure the '08-'09 has less power...but 2 steps down? Not to me...One reason I'm still in my '09 is there are things I don't like about the '19-'20 Bullitt. No need for me to go into them here, but hell, sounds like a smart move to me. Hoping you can find a good '08-;09. :)
The '19 Bullitt has many admirable traits, Paul. It's build quality is head & shoulders above any S197 gen. There's no squeaks, rattles, moans or groans. It's performance capabilities seriously outshine anything the S197 could offer. Honestly, it's not even a close match.

I can respect your love for the S197 gen- I've owned 4 myself ('an '02, the '08 Bullitt, the '09 GT500 and the '14 GT Track Pack) & enjoyed them all- but it's not even close to same class of car as the S550.
Lee

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Lee!
I VOTE YES to S197 BULLITT.
You are a Mustang Driver! You fulfill your Mustang persona each time you gaze upon her in the driveway, when you drag your fingers along her metal, when you wash and detail her, then grinning each time you crank the engine, enjoying the exhaust music and then shift thru gears, smiling and giving a wave at other Mustang drivers. Have fun with (light???) mods, making it your own. You know the S197!!!
Mustang since 1988.
The S197 Bullitt has been holding value as a solid platform.. So as a DD, mileage depreciation is less. The 550 Bullitt depreciation value is threatened by the new 550 Mach1, with the Tremec.

Happy wife, happy life. The ladies say, happy husband, happy life. You know she liked the S197 best...
I am amazed that Carvana is offering more than you paid. Carpe Diem the opportunity from Covid diminished '20 Bullitt production.
Now remember your GT500 honeymoon drive from Texas...
Bill
PS, If I had to make a decision now between my 105K mile, 63 track day, 29 state & RT 66 driven 08 BLLTT or 8K FL roadtrips & Covid dinner getter 19 BLLT2?
BLLT2 would be leaving on the Carvana.
All things being equal, I just wish my crystal ball had better highlighted my future. If I had waited another year and was still employed, the Mach 1 would've been on top of my list- not the Bullitt- as I've always wanted a Mach 1. It's one of the few Stang models I haven't owned. Well that ain't happening now. And even more honestly- if I could've found a low mileage, clean condition '03/04 Cobra Terminator, I would've jumped on that before all of them. There's one f/s right now on Bring a Trailer that I'd kill for (almost.) It's actually a resale- a prior auction purchaser didn't pay off so it's been relisted. I absolutely love this car: 5,200-Mile 2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra but I think it sold last time in the mid $40's so that doesn't help me at all.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the life’s predicament you are in. You are addressing it in a logical way. Do what’s best for the near future and I don’t think you will be happy with the GTI. Two Bullitts and a GT 500 in your past so make a decision and move forward. Everything will work out.:)

Don
Yeah, I know I'm being overly dramatic. When the discussion is over, it's just a car, an appliance, little more. I just wish I hadn't sold the GT500. Such a dumbass.

·
Premium Member
14,741 Posts
Well, nice to read your opinion on the S550. There is a new Mach one for sale in Salem (OR) now. They were internet advertising it for $4K off it's $52,750 sticker. It has the 10 speed auto, and since snapping a left tendon, I have a problem working the clutch. Anyway, salesman on the phone obviously had no clue what a '09 Bullitt was...finally admitted it. What pisses me off is that calls & call back took a few hours...only to let me know that the internet price was a "mistake" and "the boss" had tacked on a $10K ADM. I let him know that I don't pay those...

To their credit, the internet price has been changed, so maybe it was a legit goof.

Well hell, I can still work a clutch...it's just problematic to do so. No...I'd don't want just a GT with the new 10 speed. Thinking of leaving the Ford fold...

(edit) Nope..wouldn't say I "love" the S197...but it's reliability has kind of made for it to grow on me. Actually, I've suffered a bit of buyer's remorse since buying it new...had problems accepting it for what it is...just a Mustang with a special package.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, nice to read your opinion on the S550. There is a new Mach one for sale in Salem (OR) now. They were internet advertising it for $4K off it's $52,750 sticker. It has the 10 speed auto, and since snapping a left tendon, I have a problem working the clutch. Anyway, salesman on the phone obviously had no clue what a '09 Bullitt was...finally admitted it. What pisses me off is that calls & call back took a few hours...only to let me know that the internet price was a "mistake" and "the boss" had tacked on a $10K ADM. I let him know that I don't pay those...

To their credit, the internet price has been changed, so maybe it was a legit goof.

Well hell, I can still work a clutch...it's just problematic to do so. No...I'd don't want just a GT with the new 10 speed. Thinking of leaving the Ford fold...
Reports are the Mach 1 w/the 10 speed auto are fantastic. Me, I still want a clutch pedal but I'm surely not paying ADM on any car- such a dealer rip-off. Give it another year and ADM won't exist on the Mach 1. And you know by this time a year from now, some owner will be selling theirs- that's the hot ticket to wait for. I almost never buy new- it's a sucker's game & loss.
Lee

·
Car Whisperer
21,246 Posts
I'd much rather have an 08-09 than the new one. go for it.

·
Premium Member
14,741 Posts
Reports are the Mach 1 w/the 10 speed auto are fantastic. Me, I still want a clutch pedal but I'm surely not paying ADM on any car- such a dealer rip-off. Give it another year and ADM won't exist on the Mach 1. And you know by this time a year from now, some owner will be selling theirs- that's the hot ticket to wait for. I almost never buy new- it's a sucker's game & loss.
Lee
Precisely...I also have the advantage of not really being a Mustang loyalist...thinking I might check out Lexus next. Problem there is distance from my home to nearest dealership. Two things definitely off my list: Cars with front wheel drive. Another is electric cars.

It's just that I've always had something that was performance oriented...and I like that. May not be logical these days considering traffic density and all the other factors, but there it is.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree w/many thoughts offered here. Personally, I've always felt the '05-09 gen S197's were the best looking Stangs made. Boxy, square shouldered- they just resonated personality. I loved their lines. When the S550's were released I was repulsed by their appearance. They've grown on me but I still think the '05-09's were far better looking rides. Now if only they had the build qualities and some of the amenities the S550 gen have, Ford would have something. But they won't as cars continue to get packed w/tech & safety nannies- some of it almost useless nonsense, IMHO- and weight. My '19 Bullitt rides far more solidly than my '08 Bullitt or '09 GT500 but the weight is definitely felt also.
Lee

·
Administrator
6,463 Posts
Three different Bullitts - three different platforms - three different sets of reason to love them. All have charms, in my book. After living with my '19 for almost 3 years, I'd now declare my '19 the favorite because of the modern car amenities and power. I still appreciate the '01 for it's cleaner New Edge style and because it started the run of these cars. I appreciate the '09 because of it's "closer to the original" vibe when viewed at certain angles and the increased interior room over the '01. For power and handling feel in stock form, the '19 has that in spades.

Good luck in your decision. Now is a good time to sell if you want to get out of your '19. The market right now is defeinitely different than what it was at this point in time for the '01 and '08-'09s during their runs. I think you'll maximize your $$ return!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I love my 19, but truly miss my 08. It just had a look and feel of a vintage muscle with modern dependability! If I could..... I'd give some serious thought. Traded it with only 4K miles!

Reactions: cpalmer9

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love my 19, but truly miss my 08. It just had a look and feel of a vintage muscle with modern dependability! If I could..... I'd give some serious thought. Traded it with only 4K miles! View attachment 79580

I thought I was bad w/2- now possibly 3 Bullitts- but you're beating me out w/#4! Holy yikes.
Lee

·
Registered
11 Posts
The story goes like this- after selling my '09 GT500 last November (a deal I now regret and the reasons will become more clear as this post explains), I got into a beautiful, low mileage, DHG '19 Bullitt. 3 weeks after buying the car, I got fired so this car- thru no fault of its own- causes me to feel guilty every time I drive it. It's $$ out the door I don't need to spend right now and honestly, I'm just not getting much joy out of the car. Plus the insurance is just outrageous, I'm guessing because of all the technology. And before I got fired, I even bought a Steeda H pipe and Magneride lowering springs but they're still sitting in their original boxes. I just can't bring myself to throw $$ at the car.

After discussion w/my wife, I've strongly considered selling it as the used car market is steaming hot right now. Carvana offered me more $$ than I paid for it some 8 months ago & I'm seriously tempted, although my wife thinks it's a mistake.

I started shopping replacement vehicles and thought I'd narrowed my choice to a '19 Volkswagen GTI, which is a sporty hatchback, considerably smaller/lighter, more versatile/practical, w/much better gas mileage and solid reliability; except when I exposed this pick to my wife she said, "But it's not a Bullitt- there's nothing special or exceptional about the car." After 37+ years of marriage, she knows me all too well and I know what she means; she's afraid I'll get bored w/it quickly and start the dance again. My counter-thoughts are that once I'm re-employed, I can always buy another Mustang. Seems logical, right?

And then this hit me- why don't I just buy another '08/09 Bullitt and lightly mod her? Yes, I know it's 2 steps down from the S550 gen's higher build quality. I've also made no bones about my former '08 possibly being my favorite of all my Mustangs. I know my wife liked that one best of all my Stangs. And even after 3 accidents, the car was nearly indestructible and I never had any performance issues w/her. Lastly, that 5 speed trans is like an anvil, unlike the MT82D trans in the newer version Bullitt.

Hindsight being 20/20, I never should've sold my GT500 but I didn't see my firing just ahead. Too late to focus on that. Now I've just got to confirm to myself this is what I want to do.
Lee

Hi Lee,
I have an 08 Bullitt #5177 with less than 22,000 miles on it. I'm the 2nd owner and love the car. I've done some some sensible mild upgrades. I'd be willing to talk about a trade if you're so inclined. I live in NJ. Where are you located?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm on the SE coast of Florida in Stuart. And I appreciate the offer but vroom has made me an outstanding offer for my '19. Now if you want to sell your Bullitt outright, I'm willing to listen! Waddya got? If you'd prefer to do this privately, send me a PM & we can chat on email or via phone.
Lee

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nothing beats the throwback look of the 08 Bullitt. The lines, the feel, the excitement. The 19/20 look to euro for my likes. I like my cars to be cars and not an extension of my home appliances. The newer may drive better, and have all the pat your butt amenities, but its not a muscle car in the classic look. It's like SciFi meets old west. Besides, they all go 55mph.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts