Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The story goes like this- after selling my '09 GT500 last November (a deal I now regret and the reasons will become more clear as this post explains), I got into a beautiful, low mileage, DHG '19 Bullitt. 3 weeks after buying the car, I got fired so this car- thru no fault of its own- causes me to feel guilty every time I drive it. It's $$ out the door I don't need to spend right now and honestly, I'm just not getting much joy out of the car. Plus the insurance is just outrageous, I'm guessing because of all the technology. And before I got fired, I even bought a Steeda H pipe and Magneride lowering springs but they're still sitting in their original boxes. I just can't bring myself to throw $$ at the car.

After discussion w/my wife, I've strongly considered selling it as the used car market is steaming hot right now. Carvana offered me more $$ than I paid for it some 8 months ago & I'm seriously tempted, although my wife thinks it's a mistake.

I started shopping replacement vehicles and thought I'd narrowed my choice to a '19 Volkswagen GTI, which is a sporty hatchback, considerably smaller/lighter, more versatile/practical, w/much better gas mileage and solid reliability; except when I exposed this pick to my wife she said, "But it's not a Bullitt- there's nothing special or exceptional about the car." After 37+ years of marriage, she knows me all too well and I know what she means; she's afraid I'll get bored w/it quickly and start the dance again. My counter-thoughts are that once I'm re-employed, I can always buy another Mustang. Seems logical, right?

And then this hit me- why don't I just buy another '08/09 Bullitt and lightly mod her? Yes, I know it's 2 steps down from the S550 gen's higher build quality. I've also made no bones about my former '08 possibly being my favorite of all my Mustangs. I know my wife liked that one best of all my Stangs. And even after 3 accidents, the car was nearly indestructible and I never had any performance issues w/her. Lastly, that 5 speed trans is like an anvil, unlike the MT82D trans in the newer version Bullitt.

I shopped the internet this afternoon for a bit, and prices aren't bad at all. By the time I'd sell my car to Carvana and pay off the loan, there'd be $$ leftover to pay off a Bullitt and do some of the basic bolt-on mods I always do. Basically, it'd be a clean sweep and I'd have no expenses hanging over my head... or guilt. If I instead went the other route w/the GTI, I'd be without a Mustang in the garage for the first time since '88!

It might not be the most logical choice. After all, the '08/09 Bullitts are already 12+ years old and since I use my Stangs as daily drivers, it's going to be pretty used up by the time I decide to sell and likely won't have much value. But at least I'd still have my emotional connection to Mustangs, and particularly the Bullitt.

Hindsight being 20/20, I never should've sold my GT500 but I didn't see my firing just ahead. Too late to focus on that. Now I've just got to confirm to myself this is what I want to do.
Lee
Hi Lee,
The pandemic didn't do me in, but 15 yrs of back procedures finally has taken its toll. I'm basically selling everything off to invest, as I can no longer work, and savings near the big goose egg. In any event, I'm going to be selling my '08, #3056. NEVER been modified other than a K &N CAI filter. 64k miles,, DHG. This is breaking my heart, but if I have to sell it, I prefer it being a Bullitt guy. Let me know if you're serious about getting another '08/'09. May consider trade for a Class C motor home. My possible new living arrangement.....
Michael ✌

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi Lee,
The pandemic didn't do me in, but 15 yrs of back procedures finally has taken its toll. I'm basically selling everything off to invest, as I can no longer work, and savings near the big goose egg. In any event, I'm going to be selling my '08, #3056. NEVER been modified other than a K &N CAI filter. 64k miles,, DHG. This is breaking my heart, but if I have to sell it, I prefer it being a Bullitt guy. Let me know if you're serious about getting another '08/'09. May consider trade for a Class C motor home. My possible new living arrangement.....
Michael ✌
Appreciate the offer, Mike but I'm looking for one w/fewer miles.
Lee

·
Administrator
6,465 Posts
Hi Lee,
Michael ✌
Sorry to thread hijack, but I know someone who might be interested in this. Would you send me a private message with information on the car and your asking price? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
For those following this thread, it's been interesting to note that several IMBOC members have approached me publicly and privately in regards to selling me their Bullitt. While I'd prefer to remain in-state (FLA) on purchase, I would be willing to consider other Bullitts from out of state so long as they fit my search criteria. I'm doing that right now w/another member who's got a pretty sweet Bullitt, so his car is already under serious consideration, but I'm keeping my options open.

Generally, I'm looking for a 'more than nice' condition, relatively low mileage (under 30k on the odo), well maintained, no accident/no body damage/dents/scrapes/dings, DHG, 08/09 Bullitt w/minimal mods as the car will be my daily driver. The only excess mod I'd consider is a supercharger but no headers, drag tires, etc. Don't want anything that's been tracked or raced in any sort either.

Looking to sell & got something that fits that bill? PM me and we'll chat.
Lee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to thread hijack, but I know someone who might be interested in this. Would you send me a private message with information on the car and your asking price? Thank you!
Hi Tony. Please send me an email reminder to [email protected]. I'm taking my laptop in to be worked on this morning. I'll try to get back to you this afternoon if I don't lose any info. I'm not great with computers....

·
Administrator
6,465 Posts
Hi Tony. Please send me an email reminder to [email protected]. I'm taking my laptop in to be worked on this morning. I'll try to get back to you this afternoon if I don't lose any info. I'm not great with computers....
Sent!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, it looks like I've gone and done it. vroom.com made me a solid offer on my '19 Bullitt and I've made a solid deal w/another IMBOC member for his lightly modded, low mileage 2008 Bullitt. I'll keep his info secret for the moment but suffice it to say, we're both happy, we both love the car, and I hope to be meeting up w/him as soon as vroom finalizes the paperwork and sends me my check.
Lee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, it looks like I've gone and done it. vroom.com made me a solid offer on my '19 Bullitt and I've made a solid deal w/another IMBOC member for his lightly modded, low mileage 2008 Bullitt. I'll keep his info secret for the moment but suffice it to say, we're both happy, we both love the car, and I hope to be meeting up w/him as soon as vroom finalizes the paperwork and sends me my check.
Lee
Congrats man!! Enjoy the f%#$! out of that car! (y)

·
Car Whisperer
21,260 Posts
Good deal. when the dust settiles, let us see what you got!!!

Reactions: FarmerDon

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
All the necessary paperwork has been signed/sent to vroom so now it's just a matter of waiting. I'll admit to being a little anxious. I can still drive the '19 up to 250 miles but I'm really trying to limit it, just in case. I don't want to take any chances w/it possibly getting damaged before the transport truck arrives. I cleaned out all my personal possessions yday so now it just sits there waiting.

There are certain aspects of the car I'll miss. The build quality is exceptional- no shakes, rattles, moans or groans. She is a solid hunk of metal, for sure. I also enjoy the heated/cooled seats. Handling is fantastic, as is the engine/power and overall performance. And the OE exhaust- particularly on track mode- is one of the best sounding stock exhaust systems ever offered.

But there are other aspects that I shake my head at like all the unnecessary electronic doo-hickery (at least unnecessary for me) that I've never or rarely used like the adjustable exhaust or dashboard that changes functions.

The parts of the car that bothered me included the brakes- way too touchy and powerful, as far as I'm concerned; I never got used to them. Ditto for the clutch. While I never had any serious issues w/the much maligned MT82D trans, the pedal was too wishy washy, even w/the Steeda clutch spring/perch replaced for the OE unit. I loved the shifter though and can't imagine why anyone would swap that unit out- it was fantastic. And the entry/exit of the seat was a constant pain in the arse; yeah it was comfortable once seated but that damn side bolster was always a pain getting past.

I'll admit that I'm a little concerned about going backwards... again. When I sold my '14 GT Track Pack to go for an '09 GT500, I gave up some similar stuff. My '14 was a truly solid ride, much higher build quality than any of my '05-09 S197s, and w/basic bolt-ons, offered me as much performance as I was ever going to use. I got use to the GT500, the most significant differences being the brakes (which were so much better in the '14 GT T/P,) and quickly fell in love w/that car mostly because it was a stunningly gorgeous car and that supercharger made up for so many other issues. After the basic bolt-ons were added, the car was a true gem. I've said this before- I never should've sold that car.

But the '08 Bullitt is significantly different from the '19 version in just about every aspect, especially in overall power/performance & build quality. So there's work ahead for the car & me. I'm both a little nervous and excited at the same time. The current owner has done much to make me feel comfortable about the buy and I've been researching/reminding myself about the basic wonderful qualities of the S197 gen Bullitt and internet shopping to make the car what I'd like her to be. Yeah, it's all gonna be ok, I'm sure.

Sadly, I likely won't be able to pick her up until the first week of June but once she's in my hands, I'll get to work.
Lee

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
And just like that, vroom just notified me via email that they've rec'd. my paperwork (thank you, FedEx) and have made arrangements w/a vehicle carrier who should be contacting me w/in a day or so regarding pickup.
Lee

·
Car Whisperer
21,260 Posts
all right...progress!!!!!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
After what seems to be way too much of a delay, vroom finally picked up my car today.

Adios, my friend- It was nice knowing you but onto different things.
Lee

·
Car Whisperer
21,260 Posts
one step down. good deal.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'll admit that I'm a little concerned about going backwards... again. When I sold my '14 GT Track Pack to go for an '09 GT500, I gave up some similar stuff. My '14 was a truly solid ride, much higher build quality than any of my '05-09 S197s, and w/basic bolt-ons, offered me as much performance as I was ever going to use. I got use to the GT500, the most significant differences being the brakes (which were so much better in the '14 GT T/P,) and quickly fell in love w/that car mostly because it was a stunningly gorgeous car and that supercharger made up for so many other issues. After the basic bolt-ons were added, the car was a true gem. I've said this before- I never should've sold that car.

Lee
[/QUOTE]

going backwards can EASILY be corrected on the 08 bullitt.

the track pack brakes on the 14 GT500 car are just 6 piston brembo calipers with larger rotors. the rear brakes use the same caliper as the bullitt. the difference is the 1" larger rotors.
these parts are a bolt on mod for the bullitt. Ford still sells the entire kit to install this on your car. american muscle list them here Ford Performance Mustang Brembo 6-Piston Brake Upgrade Kit - 15 in. Rotor M-2300-T (05-14 GT, BOSS 302, GT500)
or you can do what i did and install 6 piston Baer brakes with 15" rotors. i found a deal for than that was cheaper than buying ford parts.
now the bad news on these brakes. you CAN'T use the Billitt 18" wheels with these brakes. if you use the 4 piston brembo calipers with 14" rotors off the 07-09 Gt500 cars the stock Bullitt wheels can be used if a spaces is installed.

if you want to add daily drive able reliable power to the bullitt buy a Department Of Boost kit. DOB sells a intake that will let you bolt on a GT500 M122 supercharger to your 4.6 3V motor. if you keep the power under 450 rwhp the stock 3V motor will do just fine at that level. if you want to go higher you have to upgrade the rods and possibly the pistons depending on how high you go.
when adding power you will significantly shorten the life of the clutch. upgrade that and you will be good to go.

with the above listed mods your bullitt can be everything your GT500 was or possibly better and you might have less $$$ in it that upgrading to a GT500 car.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm not kicking out $2200 for brakes- that's crazy! And forget about losing the OE wheels. They're one of the things I love most about the '08 Bullitt. The current owner has already upgraded the rotors and pads so that will just have to do. Hopefully the OE calipers will satisfy my needs. I can tell you I never liked the big Brembos on my '19 Bullitt- way too grabby and strong, very hard to modulate. I seem to recall similarly w/the brakes on my '14 GT Track Pack. The '09 GT500 brakes were swell, not overkill, and worked effectively enough for my needs.

RE: DOB s/c units- believe me, I've already looked at them and would love to drop one in. I'm already familiar w/that s/c as it's the same one that was on my '09 GT500- solid unit, strong performance. Even the price isn't unreasonable but I can't do the install so there's another $1000-1200, I'm guessing, plus you gotta buy a tuner and get a dyno tune so there's another $1000 or so. Now we're up at $7g's. I'm not sure I wanna drop that kind of scratch into a 13 year old car.

I'll likely be doing some basic bolt-on stuff for the engine and suspension, maybe some light appearance mods but that will be about it.
Lee

·
Car Whisperer
21,260 Posts
even with those mods, will be a fun car to drive. I definitely like the looks of the 197 cars over the 550's anyday.

I've still got the vortech and most of the stuff to install it on my car, but I hesitate mainly because the car runs so good and strong with what I have done to it and don't want to compromise the reliability when truthfully, I would not really use the supercharger's HP much anyway. Maybe once in awhile for a quick "test hit" but otherwise, just driving in normal fashion is still fun. just got done installing paddle shifters in it and am getting used to that.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The 2005-09 S197 gen Stang is, IMHO, the best looking retro-Stang of the last 2 decades. It's not the most refined car (the S550 is head and shoulders above in performance and build qualities) but it's a solid ride and has character.

RE: S/C set-up. Once you drive a s/c engine, you'll love it & wonder how you ever lived w/out it. My GT500's engine was a fantastic ride, w/torque everywhere, instant power, predictable and very controllable. I'd love a DOB s/c add-on package but I just can't justify spending that kind of scratch on it, even though I know it would really enhance the car's performance and make it so much more enjoyable for me.
Lee

21 - 40 of 40 Posts