Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently acquired TB #2502. After parking it in the garage for a few days I started noticing drops of gear oil on the ground under the differential. The more I drove it, the more I noticed an audible drone at around 50-60mph that definitely sounded like it was coming from the rear end. The other day I took it to a local shop who is extremely reliable and has an excellent reputation. I asked them to check out the noise and obviously replace the leaking seal and top off the diff. Their diagnosis was a bad pinion bearing and they want to install a fully re-mfg'd rear end to the tune of nearly $3k. I know a second opinion is warranted but has anyone else dealt with this? Is this way off base or should I insist on rebuilding the original differential???

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
31 spline Moser axles, your choice of Ford Racing gears, complete bearing set, 31 spline Cobra differential, gear oil, friction modifier, Ford Racing differential cover, all installed for less than $1500. You tell me how $3k sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it sounds horrible now. Geez, where did you get that done...or did you do it yourself?

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
:D I would find another shop!! Way too high!

·
Premium Member
12,773 Posts
Like Charles said....3k for a rear end is crazy money....
And unless your axle tubes are bent to bupkiss, there is no reason to invest $$ in a new axle housing...just rebuild the guts.
I have had my gears changed out a couple times and have fully rebuilt it once with new axles/bearings/gears/clutches etc etc etc.....and all told over the course of 15 years and all the times my axle has been torn into....I seriously doubt it has all added up to 3k....

I'd be looking for another shop....sounds like they just want to take the lazy way out and toss in an entire new unit and be done with it in 30 minutes for a high dollar return

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like Charles said....3k for a rear end is crazy money....
And unless your axle tubes are bent to bupkiss, there is no reason to invest $$ in a new axle housing...just rebuild the guts.
I have had my gears changed out a couple times and have fully rebuilt it once with new axles/bearings/gears/clutches etc etc etc.....and all told over the course of 15 years and all the times my axle has been torn into....I seriously doubt it has all added up to 3k....

I'd be looking for another shop....sounds like they just want to take the lazy way out and toss in an entire new unit and be done with it in 30 minutes for a high dollar return
I think you guys are hitting the nail on the head. I appreciate the feedback. It gives me validation and justification to look for a much better option.

·
Car Whisperer
20,831 Posts
unless you are racing the car, you don't need all of that. you can get a Ford rebuild kit for the dif (might as well while you have it out and probably go ahead and do the axle bearings and seals too while they are out) and then get a good dif oil like amsoil or Mobil 1, use the Ford friction modifier and call it a day. you don't need 31 spline stuff unless you are doing some hard launches.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
unless you are racing the car, you don't need all of that. you can get a Ford rebuild kit for the dif (might as well while you have it out and probably go ahead and do the axle bearings and seals too while they are out) and then get a good dif oil like amsoil or Mobil 1, use the Ford friction modifier and call it a day. you don't need 31 spline stuff unless you are doing some hard launches.
It's a cruiser on sunny days and car shows. That's about it for now. No track days or hard launches in the near future.

·
Car Whisperer
20,831 Posts
then all you need is the basic stuff. buy the parts yourself and then just pay someone to do the work. will come out cheaper that way. ford parts are the best to use for all of this. if you ever thought about changing gears, now would be the time to do it while they are in there. be sure and use a reputable shop (not the one you mentioned since they were trying to rip you off it sounds like.)

·
Car Whisperer
20,831 Posts
go here (and join SVT Performance if you haven't...free) and ask for a price quote on what you want. I have ordered thru them and got great prices and help).

ONLINE ORDERING!!! WooHoo!! - Page 21

they used to be Tousley and now Autonation Ford out of Minn. Tasca Ford is another good one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
go here (and join SVT Performance if you haven't...free) and ask for a price quote on what you want. I have ordered thru them and got great prices and help).

ONLINE ORDERING!!! WooHoo!! - Page 21

they used to be Tousley and now Autonation Ford out of Minn. Tasca Ford is another good one.
I'm familiar with Tasca. I'll check them all out. Thanks! Stock gear is 3.27, right?

·
Car Whisperer
20,831 Posts
correct.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
yes 3.27 gears. I put 3.73 gears in and love them. really wakes the car up..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes 3.27 gears. I put 3.73 gears in and love them. really wakes the car up..
I wondered if that was the best choice for my driving habits. Not looking for anything too aggressive if I go this route, just something to give it a little more punch. I assume you had to re-calibrate your speedometer?

·
Car Whisperer
20,831 Posts
you will get all kinds of responses on the gears. most will vote for the 4.10's, however, with your desire to not go too aggressive, the 3.73.'s are perfect. I have had all three, i.e., the stock, 3.73's, and 4.10's and the 3.73's are my personal favorite. I don't track the car and do a considerable amount of interstate driving as my car is my DD, so I like them best for all around use.

yes, you will have to adjust the speedo for the gears. either use a tuning device or they make a box (like this: http://www.americanmuscle.com/speed-calibrator-94-04.html) to change the speedo to match the gears. the speedo in your car is electronic so you can't just change a gear in the tranny like the earlier cars.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
For most people an added benefit with the 3:73 and even the 4:10s is you may see an improvement in gas mileage and in some cases very noticeable.

Gas mileage is not really controlled by engine RPM (unless you do lots of highway cruising on flat roads) but more to do with throttle movement. With the lower gears (3:73 or 4:10s) you will find you will use much less throttle when you pull off or are accelerating. The gears provides more torque. When driving, you will also use much less throttle when going up hills, the gears are working for you. I live in a very hilly area and the lower gears makes the car so much more drivable.

At the other end, if you live and drive on level reads and mostly long highway driving then these will hurt mileage.

Either way, the additional torque provided by the gears is so much fun, you will forget gas mileage. You will want to use that additional punch, especially if you have an exhaust that provides the sound to go with the torque.

"DO NOT FEAR THE GEAR"

Reactions: USN_Lifer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys,

I wanted to let everyone know the progress I've made in finding a better solution. I contacted my local dealer (they've always been good to me) and they quoted an installation of new Ford Racing 3.73 gears using this kit at American Muscle.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/373-gear-x4tuner-9904v8.html

If I buy the kit, they quoted the installation at $450. They said the BAMA tuner was necessary to re-calibrate the speedometer. Can someone verify that? I was already looking at buying one anyway to use in conjunction with a cold air intake so it looks like it would serve two purposes now.

There is also a very reputable speed shop across town that I want to check with too before I pull the trigger. I'll keep you guys posted...and thanks for the encouragement to get a second opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Hey guys,

I wanted to let everyone know the progress I've made in finding a better solution. I contacted my local dealer (they've always been good to me) and they quoted an installation of new Ford Racing 3.73 gears using this kit at American Muscle.

Mustang 3.73 Gears and BAMA X4 Tuner (99-04 V8) - Free Shipping

If I buy the kit, they quoted the installation at $450. They said the BAMA tuner was necessary to re-calibrate the speedometer. Can someone verify that? I was already looking at buying one anyway to use in conjunction with a cold air intake so it looks like it would serve two purposes now.

There is also a very reputable speed shop across town that I want to check with too before I pull the trigger. I'll keep you guys posted...and thanks for the encouragement to get a second opinion.
yes I have the SCT tuner to recalibrate the speedo. if you don't you will be about 10MPH under when at 70 MPH also throws off the mileage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts