Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to get the ball rolling in this new section, I thought that I would list the initial set of modest mods planned for my new Bullitt. (Dealer says that is has been built and is in transit.)

1) Replace wiper blades with Bosh ICON wiper blades -- I have used these on other vehicles and they are very effective and nice looking.

2) Change to Mobil-1 5w20 full synthetic oil and Mobil-1 (M210) High Efficiency oil filter.

3) Experiment with appearance and performance of two after market antennas that I have on hand. One seems to be the same as the antenna used on Shelby GT-H.

4) Replace original floor mats with some from Lloyd's or other high quality mat that attaches to the floor in the same fashion as the original mats. (Is the Bullitt's carpet pure black or a dark charcoal?)

5) Considering under-drive pulleys and perhaps a dyno tune... but for later...

Waiting....

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sounds pretty good. I'm not sure if the Mobil 1 filter is better than the MC filter though. Besides UD pulleys what other mods do you have? I am considering a dyno tune as well, but I am waiting until I get a CAI and possibly headers. I'm hoping that gets me to the 300 ish range on the crank and 260-270 at the wheels. I think that is as good as it gets with just bolt ons and no cams or power adders.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I'd throw in a short throw shifter. They don't add power, but sure make a difference. But from what people have said so far, the stock shifter seems pretty good. I'd also have to go with some wider rims/tires. It's a shame the stock is 18x8.5 instead of 18x9. But even with the stock rims you could probably get some 275 tires to fit. I still think the car needs to sit lower and would probably do springs as well, even though the car is set up to handle well already.

I bet headers will make a nice improvement for breathing.

I'd probably add some satin knobs to the interior as well. Oh, and an intake cover for the engine. Maybe a different hood to resemble the 68 better.

Some cross drilled/slotted rotors (just for the looks).

Those are the things I'll be doing when I get mine. But the one I buy will probably be a slightly used one with a supercharger on it! Unless 08-1339 comes up for sale. I don't know if I could pass on matching cars.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I have not put headers on my 05 yet (2180 is taking all my money) but have seen a few dyno sheets and talked to a few people and they seem to REALLY help out the 3 valve! One car that sticks in my head had long tube headers, CAI, and a tune and was putting 343 to the rear wheels! I think I would really miss being able to use 87 or 93 both but a TUNE makes a world of difference in throttle response (at least on the 05 it did) Congrats on the 08 Bullitt! I am envious!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd throw in a short throw shifter. They don't add power, but sure make a difference. But from what people have said so far, the stock shifter seems pretty good. I'd also have to go with some wider rims/tires. It's a shame the stock is 18x8.5 instead of 18x9. But even with the stock rims you could probably get some 275 tires to fit. I still think the car needs to sit lower and would probably do springs as well, even though the car is set up to handle well already.

I bet headers will make a nice improvement for breathing.

I'd probably add some satin knobs to the interior as well. Oh, and an intake cover for the engine. Maybe a different hood to resemble the 68 better.

Some cross drilled/slotted rotors (just for the looks).

Those are the things I'll be doing when I get mine. But the one I buy will probably be a slightly used one with a supercharger on it! Unless 08-1339 comes up for sale. I don't know if I could pass on matching cars.

2002 Tri-Color Shelby-purrs like a cat...oh, it is my cat
2001 Bullitt DHG #1339
1969 Mustang Coupe
Join the IMBOC Pilot Registry
A question that I have been wondering.Will the intake cover fit under the brace?? That is a mod I would like to do.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
fromthecoast said:
Sounds pretty good. I'm not sure if the Mobil 1 filter is better than the MC filter though. Besides UD pulleys what other mods do you have? I am considering a dyno tune as well, but I am waiting until I get a CAI and possibly headers. I'm hoping that gets me to the 300 ish range on the crank and 260-270 at the wheels. I think that is as good as it gets with just bolt ons and no cams or power adders.
Are you talking about an '08?

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
I think that with the '08 the long tube headers install a little easier than ours. I've also read they really wake up the three valve but do not know for sure. You also may even be able to get the tranny out without pulling a header loose for clutch installation :mad: (Kook's being the exception for the 2001).

I know that 3.73's are better than the 3.27's that the '01's have but we need to take note that the tires on the '08 are almost 1.5" taller. Maybe a set of 4.10's and a tuner wouyld be nice.

My choice (if I had the $) would be the FRPP blower (with factory warranty). :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
the only mods i want to do (to scared to do others LOL) are ones that wont have an effect on the overall look of the engine bay or body

#1) underdrive pulleys

#2) ??????

any suggestions?

·
Registered
417 Posts
THE RAVEN said:
shouldt you wait to change to synthetic oil a minimum of 20K miles?? just what i have heard
With todays engines its really not necessary to wait that long to switch over. My car is currently at about 600 miles. My plan is to wait till 3000 and then make the switch. Why 3000? I dunno but it sounds like a good number!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Martimus said:
With todays engines its really not necessary to wait that long to switch over. My car is currently at about 600 miles. My plan is to wait till 3000 and then make the switch. Why 3000? I dunno but it sounds like a good number!! :lol:
Humm. I seem to remember reading in the manual that the car came with synthetic from the factory! :question:

·
Registered
371 Posts
good luck with all the things that you will do to your car..and remember it is your car to do as you choose.

You will like the Lloyds floor mats. I ordered a pair in black and they look just fine. I put the crosshairs logo on mine and they came out great. If anyone is thinking about some long tube headers..get them because they sound great. They are a little loud but man do they make the mustang sound like they are supposed to. I have a buddy that put them on his 08 GT/CS and also put the Roush exhaust on, and it has a great deep sound to it.

Is anyone else thinking about an alummin drive shaft? I have been thorwing the idea around for a while..it is supposed to be about 35lbs lighter and get you about 12hp more.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
A driveshaft does not give you more hp.. Weight reduction is all and good, but...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Madpoodle said:
A driveshaft does not give you more hp.. Weight reduction is all and good, but...
Actually, depending on the weight savings, an aluminum driveshaft can free up some horsepower due to less parasitic drag, and therefore less parasitic loss, in the drivetrain. Now, 12hp sounds a little optimistic. I would say more like 3-5. Not worth it IMO.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Chemicalman said:
Is anyone else thinking about an alummin drive shaft? I have been thorwing the idea around for a while..it is supposed to be about 35lbs lighter and get you about 12hp more.

4fit? said:
Actually, depending on the weight savings, an aluminum driveshaft can free up some horsepower due to less parasitic drag, and therefore less parasitic loss, in the drivetrain. Now, 12hp sounds a little optimistic. I would say more like 3-5. Not worth it IMO.
Oh, I agree, it only free's up HP, but the the wording of the original post...

And 35 LB's less? I'd say 1 - 2 hp free'd up, if any.. Hell, I think the Shaker 1000 probably weighs that much :) :)

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
Lighter drive shaft will have similar effect as light flywheel. Weight savings and less HP and Torque required to spin it up. I have read that aluminum driveshaft in these cars is good for 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile. Although I think that is rather optimistic it might be a good mod.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts