Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FLAME PREVENTATIVE DISCLAIMER: I'm well aware of the potential of the Shelby GT and that the Bullitt is a milder vehicle

That being said, I was surprised this afternoon as I pulled off of Texas 151 with a blue Shelby GT behind me. There was still a bit of water puddled on the road so I would say we were both driving rather civil, but he did seem to be tail-gating me a bit before idly passing me up as we pulled up to the light; I assume to get a closer look at the Bullitt gas cap. As the light turned green, the road ahead was dry and clear so I pulled around him hard through second and shut it down, just to see if he'd play a bit, and sure enough he took the bait. He followed me through my turn, we got side by side and took off hard through second, and shut it down mid-way through third because as I said, the roads we're still a bit wet and my next turn was coming up. He had me by about a nose, but for the most part we stayed pretty even.

I was honestly impressed. I realize that Shelby GTs come in a variety of flavors, and its hard to say what this one did and didn't have (outside of a blower of course) but as my first comparative test of performance I think the Bullitt did well. I imagine this had a lot to do in part to the 3.73s more so than the 15hp bump.

Whatever the case, it was a great cap to my daily commute...

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
shelby gt's do NOT have a blower ( gt 500's do ) , they have 3:50 rear gears and basically the same drivetrain as out bullitts... they do have a slightly more aggressive tune.... they are a sweet running car ( I had an 07 ) but the bullitt in my opinion is more cvilized and better suited for daily driving... nice to know he only had ya by a nose....wet roads or not ..... nice job

·
Registered
12 Posts
texasbullitt said:
shelby gt's do NOT have a blower ( gt 500's do ) , they have 3:50 rear gears and basically the same drivetrain as out bullitts... they do have a slightly more aggressive tune.... they are a sweet running car ( I had an 07 ) but the bullitt in my opinion is more cvilized and better suited for daily driving... nice to know he only had ya by a nose....wet roads or not ..... nice job
Be careful out there.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0801_shelby_mustang_gtsc/index.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/tuners/112_0806_2008_shelby_gt_sc/index.html

They may have a blower.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If it was a na Shelby, the additional 4 hp is more than overcome by the advantage in gearing our Bullit's have in acceleration. The Shelby has a big advantage in suspension and brakes though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
texasbullitt said:

As what has already been said, some do have blowers, some don't. My Mom's fiances' 07 SGT is blown and is quite a beast. I'd have to say this was one of the sans-blower variety however.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Shaun,
Are you the guy I met at Lowe's a few months back? If so then don't forget to mention that you have the FRPP Hot Rod Cams and Ceramic Shorty Headers installed.
Is that right?
I doubt a non blown Shelby GT with the 3.55's would be ahead of you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah, not me. I've only been back in the States and had mine for a little over a month. So far, mine is still stock...

·
Registered
309 Posts
I met a guy named Shaun at the Lowe's at 151 and 1604 (the one at Alamo Ranch) late last year.
I commute through there every day on the way to work. I live in Helotes and work on the S. Side.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The Shelby gt you ran might have been an automatic.The suspension on them will out do a BULLITT any day and the performance is very similar.In the curves though they come some bite but also stock mustang GT brakes.Good run!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool I was just at that shopping center tonight. Were you the one I saw on Grissom RD last week pulling into that BBQ place?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nope. I usually only eat at Rudy's BBQ in Leon Springs.
I have seen another B around Helotes, I know of 5 others now counting you in the San Antonio area.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
betoesca said:
Shaun,
Are you the guy I met at Lowe's a few months back? If so then don't forget to mention that you have the FRPP Hot Rod Cams and Ceramic Shorty Headers installed.
Is that right?
I doubt a non blown Shelby GT with the 3.55's would be ahead of you.

don t doubt it for a minute , a shelby with a blower would be way furthur ahead the a fender on a stock bullitt

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
betoesca said:
Nope. I usually only eat at Rudy's BBQ in Leon Springs.
I have seen another B around Helotes, I know of 5 others now counting you in the San Antonio area.

I think 5 constitutes a mini-meet sometime. Any of the others members here?

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
BullGT6208 said:
FLAME PREVENTATIVE DISCLAIMER: I'm well aware of the potential of the Shelby GT and that the Bullitt is a milder vehicle

That being said, I was surprised this afternoon as I pulled off of Texas 151 with a blue Shelby GT behind me. There was still a bit of water puddled on the road so I would say we were both driving rather civil, but he did seem to be tail-gating me a bit before idly passing me up as we pulled up to the light; I assume to get a closer look at the Bullitt gas cap. As the light turned green, the road ahead was dry and clear so I pulled around him hard through second and shut it down, just to see if he'd play a bit, and sure enough he took the bait. He followed me through my turn, we got side by side and took off hard through second, and shut it down mid-way through third because as I said, the roads we're still a bit wet and my next turn was coming up. He had me by about a nose, but for the most part we stayed pretty even.

I was honestly impressed. I realize that Shelby GTs come in a variety of flavors, and its hard to say what this one did and didn't have (outside of a blower of course) but as my first comparative test of performance I think the Bullitt did well. I imagine this had a lot to do in part to the 3.73s more so than the 15hp bump.

Whatever the case, it was a great cap to my daily commute...
Shaun,

I know that made you feel good about your Bullitt............

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Is there more 08/09 bullitts then Shelby GT's produced?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This topic came up on Modded Mustangs.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/65210-bullitt-vs-shelby-gt.html

They seem to think the Shelby was rarer even though at the time the topic was started, there were only 08' Bullitts.

Wikipedia states these production numbers

"2007 Shelby GT Production Numbers

Total Cars: 5,632

White Auto: 491 White Man: 1,768 Total White: 2,259

Black Auto: 508 Black Man: 2,865 Total Black: 3,373

As of this date[when?] the production numbers for the 2008 cars has not been announced"

Based off those numbers, and assuming a simular run was made in 08, Id say the SGT was rarer, however I know there were other colors than black and white...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
BullGT6208 said:
This topic came up on Modded Mustangs.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/65210-bullitt-vs-shelby-gt.html

They seem to think the Shelby was rarer even though at the time the topic was started, there were only 08' Bullitts.

Wikipedia states these production numbers

"2007 Shelby GT Production Numbers

Total Cars: 5,632

White Auto: 491 White Man: 1,768 Total White: 2,259

Black Auto: 508 Black Man: 2,865 Total Black: 3,373

As of this date[when?] the production numbers for the 2008 cars has not been announced"

Based off those numbers, and assuming a simular run was made in 08, Id say the SGT was rarer, however I know there were other colors than black and white...
This would be interesting to figure out:

Total production Shelby GT 2007-2008 compared to Bullitt production 2008-2009.

I would be of the opinion that there are MORE Shelby GT's than Bullitts.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shelby forums gives a number of 5784 for 2007. So Id say the Shelby was a rarer car based off of the supposed run of Bullitts at 7700 a year. Given the craziness with the plate numbering and since no one seems to truly know how many Bullitts actually made it out of Flat Rock, the numbers maybe closer than previously thought... I will say this, I seem to see Shelbys all the time; I rarely see another Bullitt...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts