Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A VERY bad thing happened to me the other day. I was crossing a bridge and passing a truck towing a trailer containing a vat of asphalt sealant tar. Just as I started past this guy, we hit a bump on the bridge -- and my beautiful black Bullitt gets sprayed with a shower of this tar gunk. The stuff is now all over the hood, roof and down the passenger side -- including on the windshield and passenger window -- in little droplets. I got most of it off the windshield by immediately hitting the washers before it hardened, but the stuff on the paint, on the passenger window and on the windshield beyond the reach of the wipers is now fully cured. Thank God my car is black; the stuff on the paint is actually very hard to see -- but I know it's there and I want it off!

I'm not so much worried about getting it off the glass -- it does come off with soap, water and plenty of elbow grease. It's the paint I'm worried about.

Any ideas on how best to remove this junk without destroying the paint? I've heard of using WD-40, vinegar and even cooking oil. There's also a lot of aftermarket cleaning products for bugs and tar; does anyone have any experience with them?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Kerosene will take tar off, thats essentially what Bug & Tar remover is. If that method scares you, go buy a couple Mother's Clay Bars.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-10-13 15:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
543 Posts
Nothing removes tar better than baby oil. Will not harm your finish.

John

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Back in my Body Shop days we used prep sol (preperation Solvent). It removes tar, wax, oil, and all kinds of bad things. What ever you use on the car, do it in the shade and test a small section of paint that can not be seen. That way if it causes problems, you know before getting all over your car. Last but not least have water and soap ready to wash the car after any type of solvent is put on it. It should come off, but you will want to put detail and wax the car once your done;-)...

Hope this helps.

Bud

http://www.sonic.net/budacad/bullitt/bullitt.htm

·
Registered
586 Posts
I bet TrueBlue is right. Tar is a petroleum based residue, a derivative of oil. Baby oil would be perfectly compatible and couldn't harm the finish.

Vinegar is water soluable, and probably won't work.

Go to http://216.147.22.29/forum/forumdisplay.php3?s=&forumid=3
and search the detail forums. Somebody, somewhere must have 'run' into this problem like yours.

Good luck!

Oh, I'm sure you'll be alot more successful if it's as warm as possible.

As a further note: I tried Meguire's Bug and Tar remover the other day and it was OK, but left a thick film that dried slightly before I got the suds to it. Boy, that was a mistake! I ended up scrubbing my front bumper pretty rigorously for about 5 minutes to get that chemical off. I was pretty scared and thought I was going to strip some clear coat. When I was through, though, the smooth shine was still there. Don't let those kerosene or solvent-based cleaners get a chance to sit any longer than they're needed.
DHG #2095

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTCOUPE on 2001-10-13 23:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
163 Posts
I run a detail shop, and i would say use a 3m cleaner it is in a red and white can and be sure it is aerosol so the tar drips off your finish and if you need a cloth to take it off make sure it is very soft and keep flipping it so you do not scratch the bullitt
3m solvent tar and glue remover ... and be sure to wax it once you are done with this process ...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Finally found something that removed the yellow road line paint, mineral spirits. It also removed all the tar. Had to soak it just alittle then scrub some with a fine rag(old sock). Washed the infested areas immediatly then waxed them. Looks great no streaks or scratches.

·
Registered
783 Posts
There's a lot of road work going on around our place so I had a bunch of tar on my passenger side. I washed the car like normal then took a rag, soaked it with WD-40 and wiped the stuff off. It melts it like butter. Then I washed that area strait away, very easy, very fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts