Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My car is not on hand to look at. I will try in the next few days to see. Bullitts did have different pullies then regular GTs. Jeff is correct. But what I am saying is maybe someone had changed all three to mac, steeda, etc. pullies.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
One Suggestion

My I suggest trying this ... (take a pen, pices of note paper, and tape measure with you):

1. Go to the parts house and ask them to pull a water pump for a 1998 Mustang GT with a 4.6 engine.

Make note of the part number and year model. Take it out of the box and place it on the counter.

2. Ask them to pull a water pump for a 2002 or later Mustang GT with a 4.6 engine.

Make note of the part number and year model. Place it on counter also.

3. With the impeller resting on the counter, take a tape measure and measure the distance from the gasket mounting flange (where the gasket is fitted between the pump and the engine block) to the top of pulley flange (where the inside of the water pump pulley mounts to the pulley flange) of both water pumps.

Record each measurement. You should have 2 different measurements.

4. Disassemble your serpentine fan belt from the engine and remove the water pump pulley. You should not have to remove your water pump (leave it bolted on).

5. Measure the distance from the water pump mounting flange (where the pump mounts to the block) to the top of the pulley flange (again ... where the pump pulley mounts to the pulley flange). Record the measurement.

6. Compare the measurements from the water pump measurements taken from the counter of the parts house to those of your water pump. One of those measurements should match your's.

Now you've established which water pump you have and can proceed to buy the right parts. :smile:

Obviously ... if your water pump matches the shortest measurement (see #3 above) you probably have the short pump. If it matches the longest measurement, you more than likely have the longer water pump and you can buy the right UD pulleys that will work with your car.

I hope this helps ... please let us know if it doesn't ... GOOD LUCK !!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
jeffs89gt said:
i dont remember the exact size, but bullitts have different size pullys than a gt to begin with... i beleave water pump and alt are different...
As measured across the outer edges of the pulleys...

The Bullitt had the following sized pulley diameters: Crank 6 1/2", Water pump 5 1/2", Alternator 2 3/4".

My Steeda set has the following sized pulley diameters: Crank 5 3/16", Water pump 6 3/8", Alternator 2 3/4".

Early 2001 Bullitts had a different water pump (and thus a different pulley shape) than the mid2001 & later Bullitts. See the pictures on Steeda web site to determine which water pump/pulley shape you have.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I looked at my car and its closest to the first one in the pics you posted, but mine looks bigger and more smooth. I was going to take the numbers down but I didnt have a pen and paper.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
54deuce said:
I looked at my car and its closest to the first one in the pics you posted, but mine looks bigger and more smooth. I was going to take the numbers down but I didnt have a pen and paper.
sounds exactly like mine... mine doesnt have the little hump where you bolt it on... wonder what i should order

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.