Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is rather lengthy folks but please if you feel these issues are valid , contact ford [email protected] or [email protected] the mnore they hear from us the faster they will act... I can tell its having an effect, I got a phone call last nite from ford asking me specifically about the issues that I have broought up to them (such as the trans and label) I basically told them what I stated below.. I was told they will look into all of this and would prefer it to stay within team mustang... which means they do not want it kicked up higher... so lets see what they are going to do for us ...

scott,
I have written to art hyde about a number of issues regarding the BULLITT mustangs,
I am the proud owner of dhg# 1994. I love my car and appreciate folks like you and Art, making cars like the BULLITT and bringing them to production so that we enthusiasts might own and enjoy them. However, that being said, there are a number of issues that need to be addressed, not pushed aside and forgotten. We all did spend 28K you know. The dealers locally would rather work on a 14k focus than a bullitt for a number of reasons. Product knowledge... these dealers for the most part do not have a clue what a BULLITT is.. They claim they do not have the parts available to them to fix them ( transmissions, flywheels etc)...hell they cant figure out part numbers for bullitt radiator hoses over a standard/regular gt...they say no fixes from FORD corporate are available or forthcoming..ie: tsb's, recalls etc I could go on and on but I think you get the picture.
As bullitt/ford owners I think we are entitled to some answers and the same treatment owners of other ford cars get...we as a group have several issues That I will outline below. please feel free to visit our website for even more information
( www.bullittclub.com) we are an invaluable source ofinformation that you guys could tap to save YOU money and make a better product in the process.
1st issue is the Bullitt id tag/label/hallogram..while this is not a drivability or safety issue, it ist a real thorn in our sides...frankly , you guys not only dropped the ball on this one, but you are making it worse by suggesting flimsy/cheap solutions... we want a metal tag that has the vin # , the bullitt Id # and maybe the ford or bullitt logo imprinted on it. that combined with the federally mandated vin tag, the door tag, the bullit hallogram with # and clear protector would make it virtually clone/ fraud proof. there is no logical reason not to do this. how much do you guys at ford spend on CSI? or on getting us,the consumer, into the showrooms? ever hear the story that one pissed off consumer tells 20 other people and so on? imagine 6500 bullitt owners. would I buy the new proposed Mach-1 or Boss ? not at this point. And may I remind you my first NEW ford was a 1970 BOSS 302 bought at bob ken ford in New York.so my ford lyalty spands 31 plus years...
2nd issue) transmission/ flywheel/ clutch setup etc .. give me a break....why should we be told to live with clunking/noises etc..the dealers are waiting on ford corporate to provide the solution/answers... then it might be nice to have parts avialable for the dealers in order to repair the car..( the parts depts say they dont have them listed or or if they do, then they are not available/ d-99). these guys do not even realize there are bullitt specific parts...is training and issue? in short each one is pointing the finger at the other and nothing is being done for us , the consumer.
3rd issue) all cars have issues...a/c, brakes, trim ,paint etc...and I agree 100 % that the owner needs to take their car to the local ford dealer to have these issues addressed ,and if not satisfied by the dealer, to kick it to the local P.D.C. and have the service rep involved. however as mentioned above, there are issues that neither one ( the dealer or service rep) can help with... parts availability, TSB's etc... product knowledge and training for not only the sales area but specifically service and parts departments. what can be done in this area to help us , the consumer and bullitt owner? after all a satisfied consumer and repeat buyer is what ford is after isnt it? satisfied buyers recomending ford products to others?

I love my car and am very glad to have her, but that does not negate the fact that there are some serious issues here that need attention.and ifYou guys are not the ones to help please send us in the right direction.

I look forward to your reply and assistance
Mark Snailer
bullitt # 1994

·
Registered
225 Posts
Great letter,Mark!Maybe someone at Team Mustang will get off their duffs and do something to please the comsumer.I went the other week and asked for the computer update and even gave them the TSB#,don't think they did it.If anything, they flashed it with a GTcode,1673 just doesn't seem to have the power now,will be taking it back on monday for some paint work on the hood where the scoop has viberated and chiped the paint.At least my dealer gave me a chose of body shops to do the work after I told them that I didn't want any halfa$$ job done on it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Amen and ditto from the CatSmasher.
I love my Bullitt and have been driving the living crap out of the poor beast. The only two issues that chap my nads are the sticker and the transmission klunking. I think that team Mustang dropped the ball on those two. The sticker was likely a cost issue, the transmission was just poor program and engineering management. They think that we will accept the story that it needs to be that way to handle the increased torque. In my opinion, they did not pay enough attention to validating the new tranny from a noise standpoint and just released it as is. I bet money that the klunk goes away in later cars and that the 2002 Cobra models don't have the klunk. My GM buddies are having a field day ribbing me about my "klunker", since some of them have higher torque cars with nice tight drivetrains. (I tell them that they just can't here theirs klunk over all the interior plastic rattling). Burns me up!

2001 Bullitt #1585

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CatSmasher on 2001-09-06 17:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
After being without mine for two weeks, the paint is still bad, the brakes still make noise, and the dealer damaged a body clip, the clunking trans that barely shifts into 2nd gear and the dealer says it's normal? At less than 6 months in the car, Ford has already fulfilled over 1/2 of the lemon law requirements and minor issues. This is rediculous!

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
karl,
look at the date of the post and the letter..
then go back and look at how many people asked me to send one to ford/art hyde on their behalf... as I am sure you know, there is strength in numbers... and so far you are the only one that has had an issue with mentioning the website... which, by the way, IS an invaluable source of information for FORD as is bon, stang net etc..The ford boys that frequent our site have already mentioned that previously in other posts...
and while maybe YOU haven't had any issues with your BULLITT, there are a lot of us who have abd, frankly, I am glad I have been able to help them in some manner. If the powers that be prefer me to not mention the sight... then please let me know... until that time I will consider your request on a 'personal' nature and not ''official.
and, by the way..sorry for the spelling issues'... I wasn't aware of them or I would have corrected it and in retrospect I didn't think they were going to take away from the content of the letter. Judging from arts response... I don't think they did

merry christamas all....

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
There's nothing wrong with my vehicle. I've brought this up before - I'd be interested in what percentage of owners are haveing problems? Are they the majority or the minority? The only problem I've had with my car is the 1-2 shift which dissapears once the fluid warms up. I don't consider this anything horrible in fact I've had other cars that did it. Your SUPPOSED TO WAIT until the oil and tranny fluid is warm before driving the vehicle hard (the temp gauge tells the coolant temperature and is not indicative of the oil temperature). It's unfortunate that some of the vehicles are having problems and from what I've read I think a good part of it is poor dealer service. In other words I'm very satisfied with my car. I've owned a lot of "sports cars" MGB, Alfa Romeo, Corvette, Z28, Trans-Am, Tr-8 convertible. I've driven Ferarris. The Bullitt is a fantastic car for the price and believe me the quality is better than most of the above cars. By the way the Ferarri is one of the vehicles that had the 1-2 crunch until it warmed up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you guys are talking about drive-train clunk, are you referring to what I've been calling back-lash. the slop between the driveshaft transmission and diff.? or is it something else? My True Blue was built in May and it has been problem free except for that miss-routed wire in the engine bay. Which was an easy fix. But I only learned about it here in the forum. andn that is a very serious comment on keepin the customer informed. Oh and I'm a serious Ford guy, I've been driving Fords for... 15 years. [I will copy this memo the the mustang team.]

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have not had any real major issues with #1409. I have the clunky trans, but I have learned to live with it and shift around it. My brakes squeak as well. There are missed paint spots. I paid a lot of hard-earned money for this car, and I love it, but with all the issues, it is not worth it to go through it again. I was always scared of buying a Ford (or any domestic vehicle such as Dodge or GM), and I probably will never buy another new one again. Thank you Ford. (Notice I said 'new', I want an early 70's Boss!).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Tex,

Great letter! I sure hope Ford does something about the sticker issue.

The other day I tried to put some clear epoxy over it and kind of screwed it up. Didn't mix it up very well as I was running a little late for my bowling league and the result was a blurry mess. I told myself that I would redo this later. It rained most of that week and I wasn't able to wash the car until the weekend. I forgot about the sticker when I came to the engine bay and ran my rag across it and wiped out my number 03946 as the epoxy was still sticky.

If Ford does not address this sticker issue, do you think they might reveal to me the location of the secret, second authentication Bullitt number? If I ever decided to sell my Bullitt, those in the know would definitely ask to see the sticker. What happens if I lose my original documents (dealer sticker, etc). I'd probably have to wait weeks to receive dups. All this could've been avoided by providing us a permanent id plate where it can be shown instead of a sticker that's not designed to last.

Fellow Bullitt members, who would I write to to ask the ultimate question (Where is the location of the second Bullitt Authentication Number?). Thanks!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Every manual transmission I've driven has clunked or grinded when it was cold. It's just a normal process. Just go easy on the shifting until the tranny warms up.

·
Premium Member
18,823 Posts
I just e-mailed Art Hyde addressing the
hologram issue...maybe something will
happen.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Here is my email to Mr. Hyde:

Mr Hyde,

My name is Christian Pedersen and I am the proud owner of Bullitt No. 4165. I am a member of Bullitclub, an internet forum which I know you are aware of. I am writing not to add to the list of complaints with the Bullitt, but just to be heard and let you know that I am experiencing some of the same issues as my fellow Bullittheads.

This is the first Non-Mopar product I have ever owned, and the 2nd new vehicle I have purchased. After being abandoned long ago by Ma Mopar as a performance car nut who can't lay down $80K on a car, I chose the Bullitt for exactly the same reasons you built it. It has made more trips to the dealership than my other new vehicle in a much shorter period of time. My dealership, however (Sill-Terharr Ford in Broomfield, CO) has been EXCELLENT in their customer service and in dealing with me and my nit-pickiness. They have been adequately knowledgeable of the Bullitt. I have found the car (now with 7K miles) to be well engineered and assembled, but do share a couple of the design/assembly/fit/finish issues with other owners.

My main one is the sloppiness of the drive train. I have heard that the Ford Motorsport aluminum driveshaft all but cures that.

Next is the quality of the finish. Paint is flaking off around where the hood scoop attaches, the driver's side door handle has a run in it, and the passenger side door has many chips in the leading edge that the dealer touched up prior to my purchase of the car. Also the passenger's side door is improperly aligned. I am afraid to request repairs of these defects because it seems like the problems of other owners have just been exacerbated by poor body shops.

Finally, that hologram ID sticker. I am afraid to wash my engine compartment for fear that it will be ruined, as has happened to other owners.

All in all, I love this car, and MAY give Mopar another chance if they come out with a new pony car. Kudos to you and Team Mustang for building this car, I give you an A+ for concept, but an A- on the execution.

Keep up the good work and any remedies to any of these complaints will be appreciated.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Christian Pedersen

Hopefully this will get somewhere.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Very nicely written letter from all. I am an optimist, but a realist too. From a bean counter standpoint our 5000+ complains are mear peas in a bucket compared to the millions of complains Ford hears every year. I hope Art does do something to help us...but from a business man's perspective, we are a small issue and one that will not do very much real damage if forgotten about. I will keep my fingers crossed with the rest of you guys and gals and hope for the best..but I won't be surprised either we we never see any real movement to address the issues brought up.

Sgt. D.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took my car to the dealer because one morning it started and ran really rough and died, the car woulnt start the whole day. I even smelled smoke or burning from the starter. I took it to ford once it started and filled my garage with white smoke and fuel smell, thank god I dont smoke! Ford always tells me they (could not duplicate) I cannot believe this they did the same with my brake squeeling. I was told it was normal and to check the manual. they are basically incompetant!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts