Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed a sort of pop when car first begins to move? I have had a noise a few times now, it is always on intial movement could it be parking brake sticking then maybe releasing. It think most of the time I have noticed it I have been backing up. Sort of sounds like coming from front of car.

Thanks for any help.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine does that too. I'll start the car, release the brake, and after a couple seconds it'll pop before I even start to move. Sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side somewhere. I thought it could be the parking brake sticking, but wouldn't that sound from the rear? I've had the car for a month today, and it's done it about 5 times. the car has 2000 miles on it already.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I have heard a loud pop a couple of times after I stopped at a long traffic light and put it in neutral. I can't recreate it methodically- it is a random event.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Most cars equipped with ABS will make an audible sound often accompanied with a mild thud or bump through the brake pedal when starting out after being parked, especially when reversing. This is simply the ABS initiating/checking itself. Have noticed it in my '01 Bullitt and my other two cars with ABS braking. "Symptoms" vary depending on the type and manufacture of vehicle. Since it has appeared on a number of cars this is very likely the source.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I agree with the ABS theory. I've heard (although not from my Bullitt) clunks, bumps, whirring and all sorts of noises from ABS systems on vehicles over the years. They often are not consistent, as in happening every time you start up, possible because they check themselves at different times in different ways or sometimes you may just not hear the noise because of the outside environment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine has a clunk of sorts when pushing in the clutch or letting out, from a standing start. Or some similar sound. Maybe it's the brake pads rocking around.

It bugged me, but it has 5000 miles, and still works, so I sort of gave up worrying.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thumping noise from left front

If this is the same as you are experiencing: I get in the car, start it up, release the brake, and I hear (and feel) a thump, coming from what feels like the left front of the car. It has also done this to me while slowly turning left at a drive thru (fast food) place. It almost feels like a srping twisting and settling. Cant explain it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 03 GT did this. I took it to the dealer at least three or four times a year during the warranty period. I have had many minor things fixed because the car was scrutinized by the service department(s)and although the noise was never ID'd other problems were. Eventually I learned to ignore it and when I traded in for my 08 I noticed the lack of this noise immediately. This is the first time I heard of the ABS explanation but it does make sense

·
Registered
10 Posts
It makes sense to me too...but

The noise on mine has done it in two diff scenarios....once after driving for awhile: IE: pulling into a drive through (slight left turn) and the other time(s) when first getting into the car and starting it. But, like the ABS post says, it does make the most logical sense. I just thought maybe it is a spring settling. Either way, I dont look for any resolve to it. As long as it still runs, Im ok with it. Im just happy to have one at all, since I missed out on the 01's...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had this happen 3 or 4 times so far (3840 miles, and the first one happened at mile 80 something the day I brought it home) and it also sounds like something in the drivers side in the front. I'm kind of a mechanical idiot, but I had wondered if it may have something to do with the way the air intake box seals to the hood. One reason for this thinking is it seems to happen when starting her up after a long run and a short time being turned off, though I can't duplicate it. On the other hand, like Kenny I don't just hear it, but actually feel it, so maybe the ABS is the more likely cause.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.