Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Car Whisperer
20,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this link has been put up yet on the new Bullitt, but I am surprised at the statement made by Paul Randel, the Mustang developer at Ford when in the video he refers to the 2001 Bullitt as mainly a cosmetic makeover and then goes on to talk about the suspension in the new one, how it was revamped, the exhaust, etc, as though it was not done before. HUH? He needs to do his homework.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4230204.html

·
Car Whisperer
20,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May well be, but I would think, when putting the 08 together, he would have found out more about the previous model and then know what if anything on the new one is different other than the obvious different platform. It makes himm sound like he doesn't know what he is talking about when referring to the 01 which affects his credibilty on the new one.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
DragonBullitt said:
May well be, but I would think, when putting the 08 together, he would have found out more about the previous model and then know what if anything on the new one is different other than the obvious different platform. It makes himm sound like he doesn't know what he is talking about when referring to the 01 which affects his credibilty on the new one.
Havnt you heard this before, most dealers know absolutly nothing about our cars. I had one master ford mechanic tell me my car was like the shelbys, roush and saleen cars, and tell me it wassnt a ford production car and that they were normal GTs sent to another plant (not ford) for the BULLITT treatment. :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Car Whisperer
20,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr.BULLITT said:
Havnt you heard this before, most dealers know absolutly nothing about our cars. I had one master ford mechanic tell me my car was like the shelbys, roush and saleen cars, and tell me it wassnt a ford production car and that they were normal GTs sent to another plant (not ford) for the BULLITT treatment. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Understood, however, a person who is directly responsible for the making of the car is different than some salesman or a tech at the dealership, at least in my own opinion. I would expect someone in an administrative capacity, directly responsible to be armed with more information than a down the line employee.

·
Car Whisperer
20,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RayS said:
You might want to give that video a listen again. The person referring to the 2001 as a 'cosmetic makeover' is the Automotive Editor of PM, Ben Stewart. You can send them a nasty gram about his ignorance here:
You are right and I stand corrected. It is Ben Stewart making the statment. Too bad Paul did not correct it or at least make some reference to the similaries in that the 01 was lowered from the factory too, had different brakes too, had different shocks too, etc. Oh well, just like a lot of other folks who don't know what a Bullitt is...or at least an 01 Bullitt. Maybe the new one will help educate more people about the cars.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
RayS said:
You might want to give that video a listen again. The person referring to the 2001 as a 'cosmetic makeover' is the Automotive Editor of PM, Ben Stewart. You can send them a nasty gram about his ignorance here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/marketing/contact/

I'm sure they'll be glad to hear from us. :smile:
Thanks,
just did that!

In relation to "http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4230204.html" Ben Stewart of Popular Mechanics could not be MORE WRONG. He blatantly states the 2001 Mustang Bullitt is more cosmetic. I feel he should get his facts straight before just putting out incorrect information to your readers. The 2001 has just as much if not more peformance modifications as the 2008. Both cars get intake upgrades, 2001 gets a COMPLETE intake setup while the 2008 gets just everything in front of the throttle body. Both cars were offered with a unique tune, but here the nod does go towards the 2008 as it can run on multiple grades of fuel. Both cars also had suspension upgrades that basically mirror each other. Shocks, springs, etc. Also both cars got similar exhaust upgrades. As for braking, the 01 got a full Cobra upgrade while the 08 mearly gets upgraded pads. The only real performance advantage on an 2008 is the rear gear. Ford did step up the rear gear to a 3.73 from the standard gear unlike 2001 where it was kept standard to a regular GT. And finally, the 2001 did also get many more visual upgrades over the 2008 to further separate it from the pack. Both cars are quite awesome, but in no way is the 2001 any less performance minded than a 2008. Thank you,

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Ezekial:

Great job!!! It bothers me that the editor took the approach of putting down our car to build up the new one. This may not have been his intent but he needs to have his facts right for a video that will be seen by thousands on the web.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
20/20 hindsight he should have referred to the 08 as building on the what had been done before. Rather than saying the 01 was not as modified...yada, yada, yada. All of which was negative. Like he was the 08 Miester and the 01 Master wasn't up to the challenge. All of which is making me think he is too sensitive about what he was able to do with the 08, and it isn't as good in his eyes, so he has to pull down the predecessor to build up the successor...?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts