Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive my Bullitt about once a week or once every two weeks. Lately I have noticed that when I go to start it up, it wants to die. I have to give it a little gas to keep it running. Once I back out of the garage it idles fine. I do not have this issue once I start it up again to head home, etc. Could it be time to replace the IAC or is something else the issue?

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Take the IAC off and clean it, this may help.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
+1. Take it off and use some brake cleaner in it and put it back. Could also be a dirty MAF sensor. Those are carefully cleaned with alcohol and a cuetip.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know where the instructions to clean the IAC went? I remember seeing them at some point, but I just looked in the Bullitt Archive section and I did not see them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
cleaning the IAC is just a band-aid approach to this....
prob your best-bet is to replace it and since the Bullitt IAC is unique to a Bullitt, I'd get a new oem one from the dealer along wth a Bullitt spec PCV valve too as by not changing the PCV valve at the factory recommended 30K intervials or using the wrong PCV valve is one of the leading causes of IAC problems....

Bullitt IAC part # 2R3Z-9F715-DA, IAC gasket E83Z-9F670-A and PCV valve 1R3Z-6A666-AA (non heated) and 1R3Z-6A666-BA for the heated one.....

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
I have cleaned mine in both the Bullitt and my Crown Vic with no ill affects and the Crown Vic one I cleaned like 3 years ago and it is still going strong so obviously you can buy a new one but I really think it is not necessary and I have read about a bunch of people just cleaning them again with no issues. Your choice and your money.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am willing to clean it and see how it goes, but some instuctions would be helpful. Does anyone know where the How to Clean the IAC instructions went? I do not see them in the archive.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Easy to clean, just remove it and spray and spray and spray cleaner into it, dry, reinstall

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
If it not driven very much, I would also be concerned about stale gas. I note you said you dive it one each week or two, but how far do you drive it? If you drive it very few miles, then add fresh gas with some stablizer. This may not be an issue for you but just a suggestion, just in case.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually take the Bullitt to my ice hockey games, which are about 30 miles away each way. I normally get gas at the same time, so I do not think gas is the issue. I try to never go below a 1/4 tank of gas and I also try to play tricks on myself by filling up weekly. If I only have to pay for 4 gallons it does not make gas seem so expensive :)
I ordered a new IAC and gasket. I replaced my heated PCV valve about two months ago so no need to do that again. Once I get the new IAC and install it, I will post my results.

·
Registered
244 Posts
same thing happened to my 2000 GT. I cleaned it and nothing happened. Just replace it. They are not too expensice. I even took it to ford and they did confirm that it was the IAC. Replace it and be done with it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
My GT had the same problem. I tried cleaning the MAF and IAC but that didn't solve the issue. I ended up replacing the IAC all together.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yeah, I've pretty much seen over the years on Fords that cleaning the IAC is a band-aid approach to the problem and they along wth the PCV valves should just be replaced.....

also of note; on the heated vs non heated PCV valve, if you have the heated one and Dont want to pay $60.00 for a PCV valve, you can buy the cheaper (@$30.00) Non heated one and it will work just fine...

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Randy Stinchcomb said:
yeah, I've pretty much seen over the years on Fords that cleaning the IAC is a band-aid approach to the problem and they along wth the PCV valves should just be replaced.....

also of note; on the heated vs non heated PCV valve, if you have the heated one and Dont want to pay $60.00 for a PCV valve, you can buy the cheaper (@$30.00) Non heated one and it will work just fine...
Randy, what is the difference between a non-heated OEM PCV @$30 versus a Purolater @ $2.
Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
61 Posts
brucebotti said:
Randy, what is the difference between a non-heated OEM PCV @$30 versus a Purolater @ $2.
Thanks,
Bruce
well, the orrfice size and the check valve inside can varry alittle from the Ford specs to aftermarket specs.... using aftermarket maybe ok on some cars but what you have to watch-out for is if the orifice and check ball are a different size than what the car was engineered for and if-so, more oily vapors can be drawn into the intake tract than what Ford wanted....which can cause the IAC, upper and lower plenum, throttlbdy and other parts toget gummed-up, causing poor performance.....even if the same company designs the same part for Ford the aftermarket one could be different, due to the fact that the one sold at parts stores might have multiple appts and not be specific to 1 certiam model, like a Bullitt:wink:

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I cleaned my IAC,and it is working fine now. With only 17,500 miles,I would think it would last a little longer. Don't really want to get off that $80-100 bucks,just yet!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I installed the new IAC and no more idling issues. I guess that solved my problem.

Thanks for the help.
Pete

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
Which pcv valve came from the factory in our Bullitts?...the heated or non-heated?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I got a new gasket for the IAC. I changed out my heated PCV valve about two months ago, so i did not do it again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts