Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 7 years and 11780 miles I decided to have bbk shorty headers and 3.90 gears installed. I spent time checking around for the best shop here in Pensacola and finally picked one. So on to my dilemma.

Get the car back and notice the car does not feel as strong as it did before taking in. Figured it's just my imagination, until I get home and plug in my Superchip 1725 tuner(tuned to 93 octane 4 yrs ago)to adjust gears to 3.90. The tuner says vin locked. SC says ecu has either been flashed, replaced or tune was taken off my car and put on another. They gave me a RA# and I've sent it to them. Have not heard back. The shop says no one touched the ecu or tuner.

The plot thickens. My 24 year old son says "Dad the car looks like it's sitting higher in the front". What's interesting about that comment is that to put the headers on they braced the engine and dropped the front suspension. So now I have to wonder if they replaced the Bullitt springs with standard GT springs.

To satisfy my fears, what is measurement from the center line of the front wheel(hub)to the lip of the fenderwell on a stock Bullitt? I thought this would be the best way to determine ride height no matter what size tires and wheels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Until all this is settled I'm not going to name the place of business that did the work.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Sherman

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am sorry I can't help with good answers because I don't know but I interested in your story and will follow it!

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I'm showing 15 and 3/8". This is on a Bullitt with stock wheels and OEM tires without any front end suspension work. If they replaced them with new Bullitt springs there will likely be a settling time for them (at least this was the case in other vehicles where I replaced springs). Hope this helps!

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
what kind of springs did you have on the car?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
my guess would be that the springs are in either backwards, upside down, or just not put in the right position as before. Did they mention if maybe they replaced the spring isolators?? New iso's could make it sit higher. I don't know anything about the computer issue though.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
my guess it has to settle since it was braced and if they disconnected the battery it might have erased the tune...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
chrisW said:
my guess it has to settle since it was braced and if they disconnected the battery it might have erased the tune...
Aaahh yes +1 to the battery being disconnected. I'm little slow from a long day :faint:

·
Registered
987 Posts
chrisW said:
Really I have disconnected my battery plenty of times and have never lost a tune....hmmm

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay. 15 3/8"+- is right on the money. Thanks for the measurements. As to the ecu, I've had the battery off for several hours before on a slow charge and had no adverse effects. Once Superchips get back with me I'll relay their finding.

On Wednesday I'm going to drive the Bullitt on a 100 mile trip out of town and see if it maybe needs to re-learn the tune. Doubtful, but worth the try.

Thanks for all the help. It's nice to know that even though I don't participate much, ya'll still look out for all Bullittheads.

Sherman

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I did not think you can lose the tune by unhooking the battery.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
If it says "VIN locked", maybe it is VIN locked to YOUR VIN?? It has been a while, but I think mine says that too, when I first plug it in. I have never had a problem with SC. I have had a SC tuner on one mustang, and switched it to the B. I also had one on my diesel dually...again, never a problem.
Someone monkeyed with your computer if it says it is still locked! My .02.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
OGBATMAN said:
Really I have disconnected my battery plenty of times and have never lost a tune....hmmm
Same here. I am quite certain that disconnecting the battery does not affect the computer. Likewise, your home Mac or PC is not erased by unplugging it.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I used to sell the SC stuff and when customers would come back for an adjustment I would plug their scanner in and it would run the cycle and be ready for tuning. Usually it would say vin locked then recognize the ecm. Soo something is going on.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
unhooking the battery will not erase the tune. If you had aftermarket springs on the car, what kind were they...they are usually a certain color and then you would know if they switched them out. Seems like the OEM Bullitt springs had something on them to be able to identify them as Bullitt specific, but not sure if you still had those in (have to look back at your original post to see what you had).

I have seen people install the springs upside down as previously mentioned which could affect the ride and possibly the stance as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The springs are stock and thanks to a measurement they are correct. Tricks the mind can play by the power of suggestion.

The tuner would never roll into a programming mode. The tuner gave me an error 10 code and said call SC. That's when they said the ecm had been changed and had me ship it back to them. I just have to wait and see what they say.

Again thanks for everybody's input and help.

Sherman

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I've heard of dealerships checking bulletins and service letters for possible 'updates' they can do to a car to be reimbursed by the manufacturer as a way to make a little extra money while the car is in the shop. Not sure what could have happened here, but if they changed the program in the computer, you could have problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts